PO: Black Sabbath - 13

• 1 month later...

I'm enjoying the album...seriously. Just listened to the stream through headphones. The production leaves a bit to be desired, but I still get chills from some of the guitar work...

My other criticisms off the bat are that Brad Wilk is no Bill Ward, AT ALL, and NEEDS MORE GEEZER. But the songs? God Is Dead is the weakest. And some of them are damn good. DAMN GOOD. Even the one where they just basically redid Planet Caravan.

Honestly, if people hate this release altogether, then I don't know what it is they were hoping for. It's not perfect, but it's three old fucks making music 40 years after they drew the template for everyone else. And while one and a half listens through headphones while I read the news isn't enough to let it all soak in, I still feel like it's bristling with a surprising amount of creativity.

Honestly, if people hate this release altogether, then I don't know what it is they were hoping for. It's not perfect, but it's three old fucks making music 40 years after they drew the template for everyone else. And while one and a half listens through headphones while I read the news isn't enough to let it all soak in, I still feel like it's bristling with a surprising amount of creativity.

I am thinking the majority of people will be bitching about this release due to some ridiculous expectations. Too many people are expecting 70's era Sabbath and that's just unrealistic. 

I think the album turned out great after two listens. 

I don't/didn't know if it was because he wouldn't get his equal piece of the pie...I heard that he didn't feel "sufficiently invited", which, in the end, I interpreted as Iommi/Ozzy have not asked him on their knees to rejoin...

I also read an interview with Ozzy where he stated Ward showed up and wasn't in shape to play, especially when playing live/touring which requires playing a hour and a half set.  I'm sure it also came down to money but Ward being out of shape and unable to cut it seems quite plausible.

Got this in the mail this morning.    Nice gatefold sleeve with printed inners.  The discs are heavyweight and the whole package feels very high quality,  especially for the budget £12.99 price tag

Shame they have compressed the hell out of it,  does not sound good to my ears.  Quieter moments sound fine,  but as soon as any heaviness kicks in the dynamics are lost and everything just seems a bit muddy/noisy.

Would be interested to hear opinions from others who have the vinyl.