Has the vinyl revival gone too far?

I think the article makes some really valid points.  And I think he has a point about that reissue.  Anybody can get that album in bargain bins across the country, why do you need to burn up resources to make a new pressing?  It's an absolutely pointless cash-grab.  This is also the reason I don't collect variants, because it's just a way for them to get you to buy more than 1 copy of a record. (and I'd probably be broke if I did).  If it was truly only about fidelity, people would only have 1 copy of each record they own.  To listen to, and not have a copy hanging on their wall or just sitting around collecting dust.

This is a really stupid article.

1. It lambasts a reissue of a record that sells well (used). That means there is demand for it. Reissuing it pumps more money into the market. Straight up used sales hurt distributors (who get you the records) and labels (who make the records). If no new blood is produced, the industry will die.

The author admits that he doesn't get it. If you're not buying records for superior sound quality, you're wasting your time and money. I buy variants, but I listen to everything. Vinyl is about fidelity. If you don't get why it sounds good, you'll end up writing a stupid article.

Much of what is pressed these days isn't superior sounding to anything. I don't think he discovered he wasn't an audiophile so much as analog is practically dead and the format suffers because of it. I can relate to that for sure. I'm getting tired of listening to older records only to put on a newer one and realize just how bad it sounds. It's not that cut and dry, of course, but it's close enough.

i can't disagree with moonbeams enough on all counts there.

myself included, there are plenty of people who wouldn't even pretend to call themselves audiophiles on here. for some people, it's just about having something you like.

the only place where reselling used vinyl hurts the industry is when it's coming from goodwill. for the most part, around here, someone will sell off a few of their records, and that money will likely go to buying other records. 

and of the two record stores in this town, one is almost entirely new vinyl, the other almost entirely used. sure it helps that my best friend works at the used store- but that's where the real heart is. that's the place i'll go into and ask them to order something i can't find. but the only way they stay afloat is through used sales.

and i think everyone agrees, that the small independent stores are the ones we really care about.

I think it's an important point that crate-digging not go away. Its important to have a wide ranging selection of LPs and tastes. 

Not 15 copies of blink 182 records.

Some of those dollar records are worth your dollar.  

Prime example, one of the best records of the century...

1978%2009.28%20-%20ELO%20-%20Prov.Civic%

$1!

And here's my other argument against variant collecting.  Every variant you buy takes that record out of the hands of a person who isn't being selfish and only wants 1 cool looking copy of the record.  And it artificially increases the price by making it "rare", which causes this whole "flipping records" thing going on now.  So maybe if a lot less people collected variants, flipping would stop.  Maybe?  Who knows, it's hard to tell.  I just don't understand why somebody needs more than 1 copy of a record.  I'm gonna stick with my theory that it gives these hipsters something to brag about. "oooo I got this (insert record name here) on light blue vinyl limited to /100, look at me, does it make me cool?".  Either that or it's because they have a small penis and they buy records to overcompensate.

I think the article makes some really valid points.  And I think he has a point about that reissue.  Anybody can get that album in bargain bins across the country, why do you need to burn up resources to make a new pressing?  It's an absolutely pointless cash-grab.  This is also the reason I don't collect variants, because it's just a way for them to get you to buy more than 1 copy of a record. (and I'd probably be broke if I did).  If it was truly only about fidelity, people would only have 1 copy of each record they own.  To listen to, and not have a copy hanging on their wall or just sitting around collecting dust.

Reasons to re-issue Kenny Rogers (and anything else you can find in a bargain bin):

- Most people don't go digging through crates for used records

- Kenny Rogers fans have disposable income

- Labels need to make money to stay in business

- Labels don't make any money off of bargain bin/used records

- If you want the record, it's easier by a longshot to order the re-issue on Amazon than it is to find a used copy in a record store. That actually involves leaving your house.

- Most people in general don't buy used when there is a new option available

- A majority of newer collectors are doing it more as a hobby - ie they want their shit in perfect condition. Not a beat up used copy.

- Labels milk their cash cows for everything they are worth, so they can re-invest in newer acts (ideally) or offset losses incurred by putting out newer acts

- They know people will buy it

- It was a RSD release, made specifically to get people to go into a store and pick it up. A bargain bin record won't bring anybody new into a record store.

Yes, it's a cash grab. But it's the music business. Everything is a cash grab at the major level.

Well I am no audiophile, but that lp sounds amazing! Excellent production. Listening to lps from oh the 80's and back I can really tell the better better quality of sound. This isn't always though. Remember old lps and how they would brag about their new machines used in production? This record was made using our new dynagroove procedure etc.

Prime example, one of the best records of the century...

1978%2009.28%20-%20ELO%20-%20Prov.Civic%

$1!

Oh yeah and I wasn't aiming that specifically at you rudeboy, just giving my thoughts in general.

Take all these HT represses for example... people would rather sit on their computer and pay shipping for something they could actually seek out and pick up in a store. Why does anyone think it would be different for older stuff? Especially when the copy you would get by going out into the world would be lower quality than what you could pick up on Amazon.

I think a chunk of people on this board are into collecting for the "thrill of the hunt," but most aren't. Most people want to buy high quality records (at least at face value) the easiest way possible.

But it is WAY more fun to find that record you want in store. 

Absolutely agree. I try to pick up as much as I can in store, but I realize that I'm lucky to live in the city and have plenty of options. I'm sure it would get frustrating if I had one record store to go to and it never had anything I wanted.

Well I am no audiophile, but that lp sounds amazing! Excellent production. Listening to lps from oh the 80's and back I can really tell the better better quality of sound. This isn't always though. Remember old lps and how they would brag about their new machines used in production? This record was made using our new dynagroove procedure etc.

All my OG Police pressings sound amazing.

Oh yeah and I wasn't aiming that specifically at you rudeboy, just giving my thoughts in general.

Take all these HT represses for example... people would rather sit on their computer and pay shipping for something they could actually seek out and pick up in a store. Why does anyone think it would be different for older stuff? Especially when the copy you would get by going out into the world would be lower quality than what you could pick up on Amazon.

I think a chunk of people on this board are into collecting for the "thrill of the hunt," but most aren't. Most people want to buy high quality records (at least at face value) the easiest way possible.

I dunno if I agree with all of this, but I do agree with most of it.  I think people get into vinyl for different reasons.  For me, I've always loved music and it seemed like a somewhat affordable hobby to get into when I started.  Part of the reason I got into collecting was that I would see all these great records at thrift stores and used bins for super cheap and wanted to be able to buy and play them.  The other part was, yes, the sound quality.  But overall, my love of music came first and it still does today.  I think that's what alot of collectors are loosing sight of nowadays. I think that it SHOULD be about the music, not that pretty looking, multi-colored slab o wax you have.  I do admit that I'm a sucker for cool looking wax, but I just don't understand the impluse to have every color or every one, because that's not what it's about for me.  Ultimately, these variant collectors are just buying more and more, and ultimately not only driving up the price of that particular record so that flippers can sell it for obscene amounts, but also, the price of manufacturing a record, which really hurts us all.  And now that the majors have noticed, it comes with a whole new set of bullshit, more pressing, and more price increases.  I mean, we have to all wake up and stop this or I feel like it's going to get way out of control sooner or later.  Maybe the hobby will just become too expensive for people to handle, but I really don't wanna see it come to that.

All my OG Police pressings sound amazing.

Yes, agreed!  I think some of the reason alot of the reasons these 80's records sound so good, is because it kinda came before the "loudness wars" and alot of digital stuff today.  But yeah, I don't have many 80's records (primarily The Police and Fishbone and some obscure 80's ska stuff) but they all sound excellent.

Rudeboy- I agree with everything you just said. You're an idealist, though. I am too. I think a lot of the time people on this board get the impression we're the only ones buying records out there. There's a major market for this stuff that extends beyond the reach of the users here. And, as you can tell from the newer users on this site, most new collectors aren't in it for sound.

Yes, agreed!  I think some of the reason alot of the reasons these 80's records sound so good, is because it kinda came before the "loudness wars" and alot of digital stuff today.  But yeah, I don't have many 80's records (primarily The Police and Fishbone and some obscure 80's ska stuff) but they all sound excellent.

Yeah I regret when I was a teenager my family getting rid of the turntable and my mom's records. I remember a Bangles record (haha I know) sounding amazing as a kid. All the 80's pressings I have generally sound top notch.

oh i get it. juan is mocking everyone else before vlv can mock him?

Nah! Far from it actually. I just bust that out each and every time someone mentions it. I think it's funny. Plus it sheds a bit of light (and levity) on some people's mentality and overconcern on records and how people choose to spend their own money.