Has the vinyl revival gone too far?

guy needs to lay off the gambler, some great B movies right there. but if someone wants to spend the money on a deluxe reissue then :shrug:

maybe that person who's buying it doesn't live near a brick and mortar store with sweet used bins. i'm lucky to live near three pretty awesome ones, and digging through the bins and finding something awesome - copy of Thriller, or Like a Virgin, for example - is always worth the hunt. but again, i live near places that afford me the opportunity.

guy needs to lay off the gambler, some great B movies right there. but if someone wants to spend the money on a deluxe reissue then :shrug:

maybe that person who's buying it doesn't live near a brick and mortar store with sweet used bins. i'm lucky to live near three pretty awesome ones, and digging through the bins and finding something awesome - copy of Thriller, or Like a Virgin, for example - is always worth the hunt. but again, i live near places that afford me the opportunity.

LOL, that's what we need, a 200g repressing of Like A Virgin.

Ok, maybe I was overexadurating there.  The point I was trying to add is that he said that you could add pops and clicks to a FLAC and have it sound like vinyl, which I'm sure all of us know that this isn't true.  If he can't hear the difference between his vinyl and a FLAC with "pops and clicks" added, then yes, I would say it is time to upgrade something.

my main point was that whatever sound you're hearing from the vinyl, you could get that from a download.  if the vinyl record sounds better than the CD, there's probably a different mastering that you could (conceivably) download.  if you're the type that likes the minor imperfections in records that add character (e.g., pops and whatnot), you could randomly add imperfections to the file to recreate the effect.  for instance, the movie Planet Terror has added "damage" to make it look like a grindhouse movie.

whatever your reason for buying vinyl is, that's awesome.  some do it because "it sounds better", which I personally think is just something people say to bump their hipster street cred (some of my albums sound great, and some of them are noticeably worse than the mp3 downloads that came with them), but whatever.  I buy vinyl because [a] I want to support the artists/labels and a vinyl record (along with its cover) is more fun to look at than a CD.  as long as people keep buying vinyl and labels keep pressing/releasing music I like on vinyl, I'll be happy.

my main point was that whatever sound you're hearing from the vinyl, you could get that from a download.  if the vinyl record sounds better than the CD, there's probably a different mastering that you could (conceivably) download.  if you're the type that likes the minor imperfections in records that add character (e.g., pops and whatnot), you could randomly add imperfections to the file to recreate the effect.  for instance, the movie Planet Terror has added "damage" to make it look like a grindhouse movie.

whatever your reason for buying vinyl is, that's awesome.  some do it because "it sounds better", which I personally think is just something people say to bump their hipster street cred (some of my albums sound great, and some of them are noticeably worse than the mp3 downloads that came with them), but whatever.  I buy vinyl because [a] I want to support the artists/labels and a vinyl record (along with its cover) is more fun to look at than a CD.  as long as people keep buying vinyl and labels keep pressing/releasing music I like on vinyl, I'll be happy.

I like vinyl because I tend to listen to an entire album as an entire album. There isn't a shuffle/skip/fast forward button. Granted everything is personal preference, but I feel that when I am listening to digital tracks, I tend to be sitting a computer and not always paying attention to the music. When I put on an LP, I relax and listen.

Unfortunately this isn't usually the case.  A handful of popular titles are made available digitally which bear resemblance to their vinyl counterparts.

Whilst it is possible to get a better sound from a CD, that hasn't been the practice for years.

Vinyl records have physical limitations that oftentimes deter the over-loud/compression/lack-of-dynamic-range practices.  Either that or set the volume really low on the record.

I like vinyl because I tend to listen to an entire album as an entire album. There isn't a shuffle/skip/fast forward button. Granted everything is personal preference, but I feel that when I am listening to digital tracks, I tend to be sitting a computer and not always paying attention to the music. When I put on an LP, I relax and listen.

I find it more engaging because my ears aren't getting shredded by unnatural amounts of loudness.  

totally.  I spent two hours in Amoeba today just going through everything.  Of course I'm lucky to work across the street from the store.  haha

dude, i worked at the gower studios down the street from amoeba.. it was not good being in close vicinity to that store for dvd's or lps. nor was it good being across the street from rosco's either.

Wow, so much bullshit in this thread. I don't know what records you guys are buying, but judging by the fact that you all post here, this statement is much more appropriate:

Whilst it is possible to get a better sound from vinyl, that hasn't been the practice for years.

I'm more a fan of vinyl mastering, and yes the pops/clicks can be nasty.  I usually make a high-resolution copy and use ClickRepair to remove the clicks/pops if excessive.  All the fidelity of the vinyl, less wear on your copy, and one can dither it to make a cd/car/pmp copy.

More work = more convenience = more fidelity = more economical audiophile.

Vinyl has a ton of drawbacks and only one real advantage - analog. This is of course the case ONLY when the entire process - recording, mixing, mastering - is done in analog, and obviously specially adjusted for being pressed on vinyl. Tell me, how many records that you own fall into that category? Also, when you make a digital file from it, you take away the only thing that potentially makes the recording better.

Way to choose "more fidelity". I cannot believe how many people in this hobby are so blindly misguided. This isn't even a matter of opinion, just hard facts.

and yes, I do have quite a few new records that don't have pops and clicks.

I'd really like to know how you tricked nature into leaving your records alone. This would help me big time.

Wow, so much bullshit in this thread. I don't know what records you guys are buying, but judging by the fact that you all post here, this statement is much more appropriate:

Vinyl has a ton of drawbacks and only one real advantage - analog. This is of course the case ONLY when the entire process - recording, mixing, mastering - is done in analog, and obviously specially adjusted for being pressed on vinyl. Tell me, how many records that you own fall into that category? Also, when you make a digital file from it, you take away the only thing that potentially makes the recording better.

Way to choose "more fidelity". I cannot believe how many people in this hobby are so blindly misguided. This isn't even a matter of opinion, just hard facts.

I'd really like to know how you tricked nature into leaving your records alone. This would help me big time.

I'm primarily talking about new/newer records that have very little to no surface noise.  And if you take care of your records and keep them in good shape, there shouldn't be a problem.  I don't see what's so crazy about my statement.

I wrote an article like this, albeit in my head but similar nonetheless, when I saw the reissue of Rumors last RSD.

As did I, but I think my LP that set me off was Hot Tuna

In truth though I knew the revival had gone too far way before this when Minus the Bear were selling package lots of the same LP on 5 different colors. Stuff like that is so dumb I can't even describe.

Ok, to answer the title to this thread I present you with something from the eBay thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lockin-Out-Donut-11-Mental-Free-Spirit-Rival-Mob-Stick-Together-Title-Fight-Loc-/140933705115

I think this successfully answers this question.  When you can use vinyl/vinyl flipping termonology to sell a fucking baked good on eBay for 5 grand, you know the vinyl revival has gone too far.  I realize it's probably a joke, but still...

Ok, to answer the title to this thread I present you with something from the eBay thread:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lockin-Out-Donut-11-Mental-Free-Spirit-Rival-Mob-Stick-Together-Title-Fight-Loc-/140933705115

I think this successfully answers this question.  When you can use vinyl/vinyl flipping termonology to sell a fucking baked good on eBay for 5 grand, you know the vinyl revival has gone too far.  I realize it's probably a joke, but still...

tumblr_lk2453J14r1qbkrt6.jpg

As far as what's getting remastered/released being a sign that it's gone too far, I disagree.

When anything gets re-released or remastered on any format, for me it's a matter of "one mans treasure...". While I personally might not have any interest in a remaster/re-release of The Gambler, I bet it made someone else's day. The Mo-Fi Silver Label releases are a good example of this IMO. I was super excited to see the re-releases on stuff like Cyndi Lauper and Tears For Fears material whereas some others might think it's comical. By the same token, there's plenty of stuff showing up in the bins that I have less than zero interest in and wish other records were in their place. 

WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!?WHO CAREZ!?!?!!? 

As far as what's getting remastered/released being a sign that it's gone too far, I disagree.

When anything gets re-released or remastered on any format, for me it's a matter of "one mans treasure...". While I personally might not have any interest in a remaster/re-release of The Gambler, I bet it made someone else's day. The Mo-Fi Silver Label releases are a good example of this IMO. I was super excited to see the re-releases on stuff like Cyndi Lauper and Tears For Fears material whereas some others might think it's comical. By the same token, there's plenty of stuff showing up in the bins that I have less than zero interest in and wish other records were in their place. 

i agree with this to an extent. i mean far be it from me to judge what someone should be stoked about being reissued. i guess it just strikes me as a total major label cash in thing. record store day, fleetwood mac represses, its all steeped in the ability of major labels to make more money off something again AND again, when perfectly acceptable copies of it exist, at half the price, all over the world.  

the real issue is misguided people who think its worthwhile to press something over and over again to appease "collectors" whose collection is the 15 versions of the same record that only came out 18 months earlier. now THATS a waste of resources. 

This probably has been mentioned, but I like the aspect of interaction based on owning the physical copy of the music you like. When you see someone owning a physical copy of music, that person went out of their way to support a band, or was curious, or wanted something new to listen to, or liked the art and took a chance, or any number of reasons. Point is, there was interest and I like talking about that interest with people. 

It's REALLY FUCKING BORING just scrolling through 500GBs of music someone probably (most likely) downloaded illegally and seeing something you like and you ask "Hey, You're a _________ fan too!?", and all you get is a "Huh? I just downloaded that. Haven't even gotten around to listening to it yet. I don't really care." At least I get a lot of that. 

That's just one of many reasons why I like vinyl and sometimes collecting it. I like the expanded art, the thought put into certain releases, really listening to the record, supporting a band and a label, and so on. 

On a somewhat related note, I've got a friend who believes anything that is digital (music) should be free and to pay for it is stupid. It's like heresy to him to pay $X for any album and he gets on a fucking pedestal about that and the decline of the music industry when he finds out I bought a new record. Love the guy, but it's just too convenient that he doesn't make any income and has formed that opinion. Anyone have a friend or an acquaintance like that? 

There will be wars over water in our lifetime.

Yup. Much bigger problems to worry about than whether or not a Paul Anka or Dusty Springfield record is going to be re-issued for RSD.

How many records of mine are all-analogue?  Haha... even less than I think.  You'd probably find the same if you did some research.

Of course there are drawbacks.  While analogue isn't really the issue here, I can understand why you say that.  I was duped by that too for many years.  It really comes down to mastering.  Fidelity and mastering are often mistaken for one another or used interchangeably.  A well mastered digitally or analogue sourced recording will sound wonderful.  Vinyl may texture the sound somewhat, but that's very minor IMO.

Also to note, I just minimize how much I play frequently listened records... of course nature wants to mess them up (not to mention the cheap stylus i use).  That's why I digitize them, duh :-)