Joyful Noise Records Appreciation Thread (VIP,FLEXI,AWESOME)

I wish I had money for this. Elegy is one of my favorite songs ever and one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. I am going to strongly consider buying this.

"Fuck Those Who Steal From Bands" Poster Sale

On September 27, someone stole the touring van and all of the gear belonging to our guys Child Bite. Child Bite is the longest running band on our label -- our first release with Child Bite was JNR15 back in 2007. Needless to say, we've been friends for a very long time, and we were very saddened to hear that some asshole stole all of the band's equipment.

To help our buddies, we're arranging a fundraiser to replace some of what was stolen. You may not be aware that Shawn Knight from Child Bite is an extremely talented artist, and we are selling some of his best limited edition screen-printed posters from bands like Melvins, Kishi Bashi, Thee Oh Sees, etc. Posters are signed by Shawn Knight, hand-numbered, and we have fewer than 25 of each on hand.

All items are "Pay What You Want". Please donate generously.
Thanks in advance for helping out an amazing band in a tough spot.

http://www.joyfulnoiserecordings.com/fuck-those-who-steal-from-bands-child-bite-fundraiser/

I dig the Coliseum poster a ton, I'll grab that when I get paid I think.

Edit : Also, I think this is a perfect example of how a band should raise money after a crisis.

• 1 month later...
Guest deleted

Link?  I can't find it... Guessing it was a flexi test press?  If so, not interested anyways. 

BUT I never even heard of this band on Joyful Noise which also features Hella's Spencer Seim!

SOLOS - Beast of Both Worlds

1. Jung At Heart
  2. All My Tribulations
  3. Carpe Diem  [MP3]
  4. Damsel Distressed
  5. Schooled Fools
  6. Pissin' On The Satisfaction
  7. Crackin' The Modern Age
  8. The Darwin Blues
  9. The Beast Of Both Worlds
  10. They Don't Care About Us
Description

It might seem unlikely that Spencer Seim of Hella, known for aggressive, instrument-bending, experimental rock would be collaborating with folk singer-songwriter Aaron Ross... The duo's unlikely alliance (first taking place on Hella's 2007 album "There's No 666 in Outer Space"), has grown into the fully formed power psych project known as Solos.

The band's debut album "Beast Of Both Worlds" showcases the duo's vivid "classic" sound melding with modern songwriting sensibilities. Think Zeppelin meets MGMT. As ridiculous as that might sound.

Recorded and produced by the legendary Guy Massey (The Beatles, Radiohead, Spiritualized, Depeche Mode, etc.), the album showcases the duo's diverse talents and unique hybrid vigor. Traditional roles are flipped on their head here with Seim, normally guitarist of Hella, taking a seat behind the drums. The tension between Aaron's angelically expressive, Jeff Buckley-meets-Captain Beefheart vocals and Spencer's heavy, intensely precise drumming makes their collaboration something quite compelling. Spencer's driving rhythms underpin Aaron's complex vocal melodies and lyrics, which themselves delve into a cycle of optimism and despair, innocence and cynicism.

Guest deleted

I bought one.

Drummer from Hella is in a ton of bands (Death Grips among them) and is a crazy fucking man behind the kit.

I think the guitarist drums in The Advantage, but I'm not sure and am too lazy to check.

Yes, Spencer Drums in The Advantage.  He is no slouch on the drums either!

VIPs check your email, because some shit is going down!!!

They put a ton of exclusive stuff up for sale in limited quantities.
I snagged the VIP David Yow color, Kishi Bashi snowflake, Talk Normal, Swaps, and a couple other things... the Sebadoh secret EP in green swirl was already gone :(.

I got the Melvins flexi from my local shop and it skips like crazy. I wasn't expecting much and bought it more for the novelty, but I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed.

mine did too.

I wrote to Joyful and sent them a short video..

and now they're sending me a new one.

you can always do that.

• 1 month later...

So who was a 2013 VIP member and who is staying on for 2014?

They just sent me an email trying to get me to renew and I think there was too many problems with lasts years for me to continue.  It's been a long year so can someone remind me if we ever got the free flexi or vinyl the was suppose to come with the VIP package? 

Really tempted when they said lathe records for 2014...but hate to pay and only get half of what I paid for again.

I do remember them offering up the Freeby Package where you just paid shipping... that ended up being pretty cool since they asked about your interests and made it work accordingly!

I chose to hang with them for another year. Good label, good people. Definitely willing to work through the beta!

So who was a 2013 VIP member and who is staying on for 2014?

They just sent me an email trying to get me to renew and I think there was too many problems with lasts years for me to continue.  It's been a long year so can someone remind me if we ever got the free flexi or vinyl the was suppose to come with the VIP package? 

Really tempted when they said lathe records for 2014...but hate to pay and only get half of what I paid for again.

I was a member in 2013 and signed up for 2014. I love everything they do. You don't just get free stuff sent to you. You have to buy it in the store for $0 and pay postage. like this 

4Qn2eAB.png

I do remember them offering up the Freeby Package where you just paid shipping... that ended up being pretty cool since they asked about your interests and made it work accordingly!

I chose to hang with them for another year. Good label, good people. Definitely willing to work through the beta!

My freebie package was a tape insert (no tape), some stickers and some candy....I would count that as the free giveaways that they said were going to be in the package...not equal to two records in any way.

I was a member in 2013 and signed up for 2014. I love everything they do. You don't just get free stuff sent to you. You have to buy it in the store for $0 and pay postage. like this 

Was this ever announced?  I would have been fine with that if I had known about it!  Were they just hoping we would randomly find it?

I got a free LP (the Hi Red Center actually) and some Of Montreal tape insert overrun in the grab bag, so I thought that was the LP. The flexi was the Rob Crow misprint, but I didn't go for it since I was already in the flexi series. The first thing they had was a free tape. Don't think I went for that either.

Curious about the lathe cut, but I didn't really care about the exclusive variants, especially at a higher price. So I'm not planning on continuing VIP.

By the way, did anybody else fill out the label survey and not receive the 20% off code for doing so? Guess I should contact them about it.