Joyful Noise Records Appreciation Thread (VIP,FLEXI,AWESOME)

I dug up some old emails. When they first announced the VIP membership, they wrote:

"This VIP access grants you a slew of special perks and privileges throughout 2013, including:

-- First access to all 2013 releases
    (you get first dibs, 24-48 hours before we announce it to the world)
-- Exclusive VIP-only releases, free of charge
   (you just pay postage, we guarantee at least 1 cassette, 1 flexi, & 1 vinyl - but could be more!) *
-- Special VIP-only colored vinyl
   (occasional vinyl editions, pressed on a special color we only offer to VIPs)
-- Free advanced downloads of all new JNR releases
   (you'll automatically receive downloads of all new releases, emailed to you 2 weeks before the release date)
-- Special giveaways
   (throughout 2013 we'll randomly giveaway test pressings, t-shirts, posters, etc.)
-- Exclusive merch
   (t-shirts, screen-prints, signed LPs, and more - only available to VIPs)
-- Free JNR shirt & personalized cassette compilation
   (sign up now and you'll get a free JNR shirt and the cassette comp below)

* NOTE: you must sign up before February 1, 2013 in order to guarantee you receive all 3 exclusive releases."

We definetely got the cassette, but can't remember what the free flexi was. I guess my "free vinyl" was the Kishi Bashi snowflex misprint which I wished for (missed out when the flexi first came out) when they announced the Surprise VIP Package in 4th of July. Can't remember any special giveaways though...

In the Surprise VIP Package email they wrote:

"We wanted to do something special for the mid-year occasion, so we are offering a surprise package to all current VIPs. The surprise packages are FREE (you just pay postage). Each package will be individually assembled by Joyful Noise staff specifically for you! Though the contents will be a surprise, we guarantee that each will contain a minimum of one audio recording and one peice of memorabilia. The audio recording could be Vinyl, Cassette, Flexi, or CD -- and the memorabilia will range from signed show posters, to mis-printed vinyl, to artwork overruns, t-shirts, flasks, iPad cases, etc.

Available items include, but are not limited to:

-- Kishi Bashi "SnowFlexi" misprints
-- Dinosaur Jr. artwork overrun
-- Kishi Bashi iPad Case (only one ever made)
-- Sleeping Bag t-shirt (out of print)
-- Joyful Noise Flasks
-- Kishi Bashi signed postcard
-- Import / Export 7" from Asthmatic Kitty
-- Joyful Noise magnets
-- Joyful Noise 45 adaptors
-- Japandroids "Celebration Rock" cassette (otherwise Sold Out)
-- Rob Crow mis-printed flexis
-- of Montreal cassettes (spanning entire career, otherwise Sold Out)
-- Victor Villarreal signed show poster
-- and just about any release in the JNR catalog, past or present!

You can let us know which items / bands you are particularly interested in and we'll do our best to accomodate!"

But yeah, I'm happy with the VIP membership and doing it again this year. I especially liked the VIP only variants and test press week stuff... I like to support this great label.

From "Joyful Noise VIPs" group in Facebook:

"To clarify: the process Ryan and Josh are describing is correct, but at the beginning of the year we did offer more specifics of what the free items would be if you signed up for the full year, and we're addressing that in a special announcement tomorrow."

So we'll see...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today when I ordered the flexi test pressing they had an option to add it to another preorder for like 50 cents in shipping!
This is a huge upgrade to the way JNR does business!!!
I do kind of get peeved when I have multiple preorders from a label and have to pay the same shipping cost for each item even though they can just as easily ship together.
Way to go JNR!!

Guest deleted

Greetings VIPs!

We're pleased to introduce Alternate Worlds, the new EP from producer/composer Son Lux. The EP reimagines four songs from Lanterns, and includes a collaboration with Lorde. Yep, Lorde the pop star. 

If you're like us, you're asking yourself, "who the hell is Lorde?". As it turns out, she's pretty much the most popular artist in the world at the moment. And she happens to be a fan of several JNR bands (Son Lux, Sisyphus, and she even quoted Yoni from WHY? on her song, "Still Sane"). Her collaboration with Son Lux is nothing short of remarkable, and we find it absolutely insane that an artist with her popularity is releasing something on our humble little label. 

But you can listen for yourself, because all vinyl pre-orders include an instant download in both MP3 and WAV formats. The EP is vinyl/digital only, pressed on 12", 45rpm (loud-cut) vinyl, and released in three distinct editions (mirroring the "Lanterns" vinyl colors, but inverted). These editions are:

VIP-Exclusive Vinyl + Digital 
Limited to 500 hand-numbered copies on white & clear "color in color" vinyl, available only to Joyful Noise VIP Members.
Limited Edition Vinyl + Digital 
Limited to 1500 copies on white & clear split color vinyl
White Vinyl + Digital
Not limited, but still awesome.