Building Your Collection

Legit albums you can find online that won't rape your wallets.

List them, I'll start:

Q And Not U - No Kill No Beep Beep $12.98

Minus the Bear - Menos El Oso $17.95

Both on ebay. I'm new to this, but I'm not looking to spend $300 on a Brand New or Circa Survive album. Especially when it's from someone who bought it to line their pockets. Help each other out here.

GO!!!

The deal things are awesome, but what are the albums you can pick up for those prices and listen from start to finish? Just looking for recommendations.

That's tough to say, truly, because what I may deem as an album that you can pick up [...] and listen [to] from start to finish (which is literally every record I own) may be different than what you'd prefer.  That being said; did you create this thread in hopes of people posting their favorite records that are readily available for cheap prices?  Because that could take a while to sift through, and the resulting hits will no doubt be hit and miss for everyone.

But glancing at the thread title and truly considering how I build my collection, I must humbly recommend...

• Googling the record, or the record's label.  This is often the cheapest route, though there are exceptions.  If you're willing to dig, you'll find some gems.  I can't tell you how many times I've taken a gamble on an oddball distro on the third page of my results when the record was sold out everywhere else, only to be quite pleased a week later.

• Amazon.com.  More importantly, secondary sellers through Amazon.com.  Just a few minutes ago, I picked up a mint x2 LP for $18 shipped.  It's $22 - $30 everywhere else, including the actual listing price on Amazon.

• GoHastings.com.  A bit of a gamble on the condition of the record you'll receive, but lately I've had good luck.  Some unbeatable prices at times, and the coupons they run only sweeten the deal.

• Discogs, obviously.  I've been having less and less luck compared to my first exposure and use of the site, though.  It's become an alternative eBay, but you can still find and haggle some good deals from time to time.

• eBay auctions.  Scoring a record for $4.00 because the seller has the end time set for 04:35 AM is pretty rad.  Also, don't be afraid to message sellers with absurd BINs.  I've scored some great items at prices significantly lower than their asking price, solely because they were willing to work out something via Paypal, and eliminate eBay fees in the process.  Always worth a shot.

Pretty much all you need.  Hot Topic's Hot Cash was a pretty good deal until they cut off vinyl from the sale, and the occasional Amazon / Best Buy sale is always worth skimming through.  Otherwise, the above suggestions will lead you to an expansive collection while saving you money left and right.  Just do a bit of digging and research on the going rate of a record before you buy it, and you'll be fine.

Derek's suggestions are spot on. One thing that I also try to do is buy more than one record at a time. For example, if a label has a release you want and they also happen to have 2 other distro releases that you can grab at the same time it helps save on shipping. Granted, this is also a way to spend more money even faster. I am a terrible example as I spend way too much money on records.

Derek's suggestions are spot on. One thing that I also try to do is buy more than one record at a time. For example, if a label has a release you want and they also happen to have 2 other distro releases that you can grab at the same time it helps save on shipping. Granted, this is also a way to spend more money even faster. I am a terrible example as I spend way too much money on records.

Oh yeah, also this.  I personally have a bookmark folder that I frequent and update regularly.  If there's a break in shipping, I always try to wait to bundle up my purchases.  And going back to Amazon -- I don't have a Prime account, so I often add my wants to a Wishlist.  I keep an eye on the quantities, and if one item dips dangerously low in stock, I'll pull the trigger on $25+ worth of records to get free shipping.  I don't think I've paid shipping on Amazon in over two years - outside of secondary sellers, which is still often cheaper than list price + free shipping.  Just makes sense.

I feel that. I've definitely been downing much of my paycheck on records. I definitely like how this forum helps each other out on finds though. I've only been on here for like 2 weeks and I've traded with good people, found great preorders, and have found out about bands I didn't know existed.

I mean I guess.  It's not like the labels are taking bags of money to the bank, though.  In the case of Deathwish, it's those successful represses and variants that allow them to thrive and continually release quality product.  Really a win-win for everyone.

Agreed. 

Topshelf entices variant collectors with their three 7" bundles.