bizarre ebay transaction: how am i going to get screwed?

long story short.  i bought a record on ebay. paid $67.50 and was told the record would be sent out on Monday.  On Tuesday, I get an email (through ebay) that the seller wasnt sure about the shipping total and so he refunded my $67.50 BUT STILL SENT THE RECORD!  something about sending it and then not being protected if he didnt refund the money...sounds ridiculous.  he was "relying on the goodness of my heart to let him know when the item arrived and find a way to make this right".  BTW, the item on ebay was marked refunded.  since i didnt see any paypal refund i let him know that i would keep an eye out for the item and let him know.

i received the LP on Friday and also noted a 'pending' refund in my paypal account for $67.50 (which clears tomorrow).  the dude said if I just sent him back $60 we could call it even, whenever the refund clears

now, my thought was and is that he is trying to scam ebay fees, but it doesnt add up to the 7.50 difference.  my worry is that if i pay him $60 for something and he then turns around and tries to get the $67.50 back...im not sure how this could happen, its just so completely ridiculous that i now appear to have both the record and the money.

yeah that sounds sketchy. Not related to records, but a very similar situation happened to me on ebay a few months back selling a textbook. I listed it as new but in my description I explained that it was lightly used. The buyer paid for the book, but got a refund thru Ebay (their money, not mine) So essentially he got the textbook and his money back. People are awesome.

its in the first post.  literally he refunded the money after he shipped the record, "thinking the record might not get here and then he would be on the hook for the money."  makes no sense

im pretty sure hes a legit dude, just so confused by who would refund a transaction with an LP in the mail, knowing that the worst possible scenario would be for me to have both the record and the money.

• 3 weeks later...

Team,

Rather than creating a new topic - adding to this one.

Sold a record on the cheap for $15.00 to someone through ebay. According to the tracking, it was delivered on 4/5/13.

I receive a message on or about 4/11 asking for status. I had previously uploaded the tracking number and marked as shipped and told the buyer same. Today, I get a message where the buyer states the following:

"So apparently something was up with the label on the package and it wasn't deliverable. USPS said the package is being returned to you. Please send it back out to me when it arrives. To confirm, my address is:"...

There is nothing on USPS that suggests that it was sent back to sender/me.

Here is the kicker. I have since moved since I shipped it out.... 1,200 miles away. I will never get that.

What would you do? I don't want to screw the guy - but this seems quirky.

Team,

Rather than creating a new topic - adding to this one.

Sold a record on the cheap for $15.00 to someone through ebay. According to the tracking, it was delivered on 4/5/13.

I receive a message on or about 4/11 asking for status. I had previously uploaded the tracking number and marked as shipped and told the buyer same. Today, I get a message where the buyer states the following:

"So apparently something was up with the label on the package and it wasn't deliverable. USPS said the package is being returned to you. Please send it back out to me when it arrives. To confirm, my address is:"...

There is nothing on USPS that suggests that it was sent back to sender/me.

Here is the kicker. I have since moved since I shipped it out.... 1,200 miles away. I will never get that.

What would you do? I don't want to screw the guy - but this seems quirky.

This isn't terribly helpful, but I've found the USPS tracker to be odd at times. Last week I checked on a package I bought and it said "undeliverable to address; returned to sender" or something like that. Then it was at my door half a day later.

I'm currently dealing with some jerk I bought a pickguard from. It didn't fit my guitar, I messaged him, he said to send it back for a refund. Dude gets it yesterday and takes it upon himself to keep $5. I paid for shipping both ways and we never agreed upon a partial refund. Normally I wouldn't care because $5 isn't a lot of money, but since this guy is being an ass about it I'm going to make it difficult for him to try and pocket a few bucks like the chump he is.