SECULAR HAZE'S FINAL GIVEAWAY

Guest Secular Haze

The responses to this competition are of a fascinating split.  You have fans of the band saying that they won't enter, since they already own a copy, and would prefer to see it go to a new listener... and then there are the new fans, who feel that the autograph should negate their entry.  I just find it interesting.

I personally fall into the camp of people who own [way too many copies of] this record... but the standard-weight black variant is the only one I'm missing.  I totally don't need this one, but the autograph and completionist inside of me are making me spring for it.  Let's do this.

01 | FAVORITE CONVERGE ALBUM

This is a tough one for me.  I celebrate the vast majority of their entire catalog pretty regularly.  But I think I'd say JANE DOE: there's something about the way that record is structured that always brings me back 'round.  From the barrage of distortion that the opening notes of Concubine lead into, up through the gargantuan, eerie fadeout of the title track... there isn't a moment of Jane Doe that I haven't come to love over the years.

02 | FAVORITE CONVERGE SONG

Again, I really struggle here.  Much like their albums, I think my "favorite" Converge track is always up in the air.  The best I can do is a track-per-album list.  Sorry.

PETITIONING THE EMPTY SKY // THE SADDEST DAY

WHEN FOREVER COMES CRASHING // LOVE AS ARSON

JANE DOE // PHOENIX IN FLIGHT

YOU FAIL ME // LAST LIGHT

NO HEROES // TROPHY SCARS

AXE TO FALL // REAP WHAT YOU SOW

ALL WE LOVE WE LEAVE BEHIND // SHAME IN THE WAY

03 | FAVORITE CONVERGE COVER

As much as Jane Doe will always be iconic and near & dear to my heart, I will say - artistically - Axe To Fall takes the cake.  I absolutely love the grime, grit, and decay depicted in the piece.  And blue accents really make the whole thing pop.

converge_axe_to_fall.jpg

04 | FAVORITE CONVERGE MEMORY

I've only seem them once, actually, and it was just last October in San Francisco with Kvelertak and Nails.  Fantastic show, absolutely.  The setlist was a doozy, and I more or less lost my shit when they wrapped up with Last Light.  I was really impressed with the clarity of their sound, due largely in part to everyone being on their game.  But above all else, I remember Ben Koller wearing the most ridiculous full-faced open smile through the entire set.  The guy was an absolute machine on his kit, and he looked like he was having a blast from start to finish.  Just amazing.

1) What is your favorite Converge album?

You Fail Me

2) What is your favorite Converge song?

Last Light

3) What is your favorite Converge album cover?

Jane Doe (Iconic!)

4) What is your best memory seeing Converge live?  (If you haven't, no worries)

Not that lucky, YET.

1. Axe To Fall

2. Love As Arson

3. Jane Doe

4. Favorite memory is seeing them at the ICC in Boston, MA in 2006. One of my buddies was a promoter for the venue so he gave me an ICC Security shirt so I could go in/out freely without being hassled by venue staff. Nothing more awkward than having people helplessly look to the scrawny college kid to break up a fight between two 250lb Converge fans...

This is rad:

1. Favorite album: You Fail Me. This has gotta be the one, when I was younger, I used to always wear my converge hoodie that had the severed hand on the back, and along the top of the hood said YOU FAIL ME. People would always complement me on it.

2. Favorite song: Last Light. Self explanatory, great song.. The lyrics that I always find myself screaming at shows are "I need a purpose, I need a reason".

3. Favorite album cover: Petitioning. There's something so eerie and creepy about it, even if it is rather cartoonish.

4. Its a tie up, I saw them at the Europa in Brooklyn with Ceremony, Coliseum, Rise and Fall when I got smacked in the head with one of Ceremony's guitars right before Converge and was in a daze the rest of the show, but it was almost a euphoric feeling where everything was slow moving and loud as fuck. Then I saw them at Hammerstein Ballroom with Mastodon and Dethklok when I was photographing for ScenePointBlank, and Bannon was nice enough to allow all the photographers up on stage after the three song photo limit, so we all chilled and watched them play from the side of the stage.

1) What is your favorite Converge album?

Jane Doe or Petitioning

2) What is your favorite Converge song?

Last Light

3) What is your favorite Converge album cover?

All We Love

4) What is your best memory seeing Converge live? (If you haven't, no worries)

I saw converge a couple years and they closed with wolverine blues. I started moshing with some friends and noticed that John Pettibone was moshing us. I think there was maybe 10 of us who knew they were playing entombed.

1- You Fail Me. 2- Color Me Blood Red. 3- Axe To Fall. 4- I saw them in tampa years ago with darkest hour and municipal waste. It was a great show but what made it awesome for me was Before the show I was talking to Nate and I told him I had seen them 4 times before an never heard the saddest day live and towards the end of the set he dedicated the song to me and they played it. I went fucking berserk.

1) What is your favorite Converge album? All We Love We Leave Behind

2) What is your favorite Converge song? "Dark Horse" You would think I would pick something off of AWLWLB, but this song just makes me go kookoobananas. I also play it sometimes in my classroom. Converge + 3rd graders = mayhem!

3) What is your favorite Converge album cover? Jane Doe, of course!

4) What is your best memory seeing Converge live? I've only seen them once and I was really tired that night (seems to happen more and more as years go by). With Bannon running all around the stage it was like a mainline of adrenaline and I was very close to getting in the pit. Frickin' amazing show is an understatement.

1) What is your favorite Converge album? You Fail Me

2) What is your favorite Converge song? Locust Reign

3) What is your favorite Converge album cover? Petitioning Forever

4) What is your best memory seeing Converge live? This is tough to choose from.  Of the 12 or so times I have seen them I would have to say a show a few years back when they toured with Some Girls and Modern Life is War. Believe it was like 06?  It was one of those shows that every band was great and you actually wanted to show up to see all the acts and not just stroll in right before the headliner which isn't as common anymore, at least for me. It was also right when No Heroes came out so they were just ripping through that album.

For some reason, I mentally get a picture of a disappointed kid looking at his English test score and saying "You Fail Me?"

I see what you did there.

If we're talking about mental pictures, though, I'm essentially picturing this on mute, with this opened in a new tab.  Correct me if I'm wrong?