Remember when this forum was fun & friendly?

go Rad, go!

how about the return of VC member of the month (or was it week?). once upon a time, it was somewhat "fun & friendly"....

being on board for a few years now, i find more postings these days regarding monetary value/capital gain of records and an abundance of dehumanizing, discriminating, and censuring comments, which i absolutely detest. one voices their thoughts, which is then placed under lock and key? a police state, a gated community, craving some law and enforcement? you can keep your social regulations and shove them out the door. so what if someone made a malicious remark? ...it's nothing. move on, fuck the comments. 

Cringing at this "eye for an eye" etiquette, however, this is the Vinyl Collective Message Boardyou're entitled to your own opinion. 

This is something I wish would change here. Disagreeing is healthy and great. But censoring minority opinions needs to stop.

Guest johneedeformed

and everyone wasn't a troll or just bitchy towards new people?

jesus folks someone put something in the wrong space on a messageboard... you guys act like someone banged your mom.

if someone posts a new or duplicate topic.. just ignore it, go outside or something. stop thinking you're anything special because you've been collecting records for a week longer than someone. Its just douchey to shit on someone thats trying to enjoy a new hobby, and overly annoying for those of us who have been here since this shit started.

I agree as my initial experience on these boards has been a similar experience. In one of my first posts there was a guy accusing me of being troll and a vinyl "hoarder" because of something I said that he misinterpret. 12 pages later when I called the guy out and told him to find the quote, he realized he misread me. At least this guy was decent enough to acknowledge that he messed up but he still tried to make it seem like it was my fault for not being "clear enough." I asked him how i could have made it any more clear and had no response. Actually, "no response" is what I've seen in 90% of cases where some dipshit has made a claim and has been asked to back it up with facts and evidence

In another post, a member had mentioned that he was interested in 7s from a certain band. I sent the guy a PM saying I had a 7" from that band and told him about 2 records from his trade list that I was interested in. Obviously a mismatch in value but,again, I NEVER made an offer. He ASSUMED that I was asking for two 12 inch LPs in exchange for my one 7 inch... :blink:

I never made an actual offer, I simply said this is what I have and this is what you have that I like. Never phrased in the form of an actual "offer." Was actually intending to use the message as a starting discussion point so we could go back and forth to discover each other's trade collections a bit and reach an agreement. Instead I received a message with "LOL" at the top of the response. He then proceeded to attempt to make me feel like a jerk just for having messaged him. "I'd rather just buy that one from the label. My record sold for $xx on Ebay last time." No discussion, never bothered looking at my trade list (though I'll admit it needs maintenance), just pretentious dickery. Good job, fella. Thanks for representing your "community" with class.

I've been collecting vinyl for many years before I ever heard about this little forum of self-proclaimed elitists. I've actually done just fine without it. Don't get me wrong, there have been some members that I have met and enjoyed chatting with. Sadly they are FAR outnumbered by argumentative pricks who thiink they own the place.

I also enjoy the convenience it offers for discovering new releases, but it also takes away from some of the fun I used to have of finding releases on my own. Or hearing it about them because, get ready for this concept... BECAUSE I AM A FAN OF THE BAND AND FOLLOW THEM ON SOCIAL MEDIA SITES!!! OMG!!! WHAT A CONCEPT! Then I come in here and someone pretentious clown sees that my post count is under 9000 and it's "fuck off newb, you don't belong here." 

Seems legit.  :rolleyes: 

I agree as my initial experience on these boards has been a similar experience. In one of my first posts there was a guy accusing me of being troll and a vinyl "hoarder" because of something I said that he misinterpret. 12 pages later when I called the guy out and told him to find the quote, he realized he misread me. At least this guy was decent enough to acknowledge that he messed up but he still tried to make it seem like it was my fault for not being "clear enough." I asked him how i could have made it any more clear and had no response.

I'd say I addressed this completely, way back when. I had plenty of responses, and could have gladly carried on... were it not for our moderators' requests to keep the thread on topic. I feel like we left that horse's corpse pretty black and blue, but you're more than welcome to bump that GJ thread if you think it'd be worthwhile.

I opened for them one summer in fargo, nd. In two songs.... 1 1/2 minutes lol! The singer starts taking his clothes off. Within the next minutes he is buck ass naked and maybe four songs in. Everyone at the show was like ????. So we all start

talking in groups. Then management pulls the breaker and the show was over. Probably had the stage for 9 minutes. Lol, they really didn't give a fuck that day.

In the spirit of this thread, I highly suggest everyone go pick up the new Culo LP, "My Life Sucks and I Could Care Less".

No sarcasm, no bullshit, this is a killer record.

http://www.gravemistakerecords.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5811

B)

Good one! 

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

It's true though. Y'all should post on VLV for a while before you complain about being trolled by pretentious dicks or whatever you think is going on here. This forum strikes a pretty good balance between being just rough enough to weed out the riff raff and not being too welcoming to the point of allowing stupidity. I don't want this board to be like /r/vinyl, where shit like "I finally bought In The Aeroplane Over The Sea on 180 gram vinyl, now I just need a record player!" gets upvotes and earnest responses.

Guest johneedeformed

I'd say I addressed this completely, way back when. I had plenty of responses, and could have gladly carried on... were it not for our moderators' requests to keep the thread on topic. I feel like we left that horse's corpse pretty black and blue, but you're more than welcome to bump that GJ thread if you think it'd be worthwhile.

Yes, you did address the issue that you had MISREAD me and acted like a dick towards me until realizing your own fault and fessing up. I appreciate that.

It was a relevant topic to bring this issue up as I was agreeing with the OP and providing my experiences as well. This is called "discussion" and it is generally what occurs on "message boards." Crazy concept, I know! 

Btw, I left any names out as my intent was to agree with the OP and provide further discussion, not to call anyone out over issues that have been dealt with. The fact of the matter is that they still occurred and are open game for discussion when relevant. Just because an argument is done and over with does not mean it never occurred. But thanks for pointing yourself out.

Wanna improve your VC experience? Ignore the bitches.

One of the best features of this site (which I don't remember being available back in '07) is the Manage Ignore Prefs.

Currently, I have 6 users ignored--5 for being over-posting, immature dbags, 1 for posting ridiculously stupid questions--and I no longer see 99% of the snarky antagonistic bullshit (unless somebody quotes them).

Just treat everyone with respect, no matter how you personally feel about their post.

Trolls

If you suspect a troll, ignore them. 

No attention = no troll. Don't call them out because more new people get called out as trolls than actual trolls exist.

Stupid posts

If someone makes a thread you think is stupid, ignore it. It will sink if others feel the same way.

Old topics

If someone makes a thread about a topic that's been talked about, instead of berating the person, kindly send them a pm and ask a mod to merge the threads.

Our search engine isn't perfect.

The more vibrant the vinyl community is, the greater the demand for records will be = larger press runs, greater availability of records.

This board is awesome and its up to all of us to keep it that way.

Guest johneedeformed

In most forums, when someone makes a double post about a subject that has been discussed, one of the veteran members will respond nicely with a link to the older thread.

Wanna improve your VC experience? Ignore the bitches.

One of the best features of this site (which I don't remember being available back in '07) is the Manage Ignore Prefs.

Currently, I have 6 users ignored--5 for being over-posting, immature dbags, 1 for posting ridiculously stupid questions--and I no longer see 99% of the snarky antagonistic bullshit (unless somebody quotes them).

Oh man, I wanna know who's ignoring me! YOU NEED TO TELL ME IF YOU ARE IGNORING ME!