How much time do you spend actually listening to your Records?

It depends on my schedule. 

When things are busy, I can go a whole week without having 30 minutes to spare to put on a record. I don't like records as background music, I like to really listen to a record, like people watch a movie.

I try to do a 30 minute weight training session, ideally 4 times a week, but I have time for once or twice. I like to play a record as I go through the routine.

I listen to two or three LPs during the weekdays. Usually after I get home from work, the kids and I will listen, dance, and sing for a while. Then we'll pick a record or two to listen to while we make and eat dinner.

On the weekends, I'll listen to five or six LPs throughout the day.

At work (I'm a teacher) I'm playing in my classroom all day long.

I also listen to tons of podcasts on my phone while driving, running, or biking.

Two of my biggest influences on music were teachers (5th and 6th grade Math/Science and 10th grade English)

Two of my biggest influences on music were teachers (5th and 6th grade Math/Science and 10th grade English)

That it's fantastic man, i wish i had a teacher in high school that loved music even 5% as much as i did...

I'm an 8th grade math teacher and there is music playing in my classroom always.  The only two exceptions are if they kids are taking a quiz or if I'm in front of the class teaching (which isn't often, my kids work in groups most of the time).

The students really like it, even though they say I listen to weird and/or old music.  Its not often that I'll play stuff they know.  But I will have students ask for suggestions for bands and show me their music (which is usually awful... but I always give it a chance).  [side note: I once had a student suggest a song and I looked it up on YouTube while the kids were working.  The kid told me there were no cuss words, but I (stupidly) played a live version.  Which promptly said: "San Diego, how the fuck are you mother fuckers?!?"  It was embarrassing, but hilarious.]

Anyways, its cool that I get to listen to music all day long and turn kids on to what I consider to be good bands.  Also, I show students pictures of my vinyl and they freak out.  Some have literally never seen a record before. 

I'm an 8th grade math teacher and there is music playing in my classroom always.  The only two exceptions are if they kids are taking a quiz or if I'm in front of the class teaching (which isn't often, my kids work in groups most of the time).

The students really like it, even though they say I listen to weird and/or old music.  Its not often that I'll play stuff they know.  But I will have students ask for suggestions for bands and show me their music (which is usually awful... but I always give it a chance).  [side note: I once had a student suggest a song and I looked it up on YouTube while the kids were working.  The kid told me there were no cuss words, but I (stupidly) played a live version.  Which promptly said: "San Diego, how the fuck are you mother fuckers?!?"  It was embarrassing, but hilarious.]

Anyways, its cool that I get to listen to music all day long and turn kids on to what I consider to be good bands.  Also, I show students pictures of my vinyl and they freak out.  Some have literally never seen a record before. 

So music is playing when you're not lecturing and the kids are not testing, so I imagine that's when they are busy doing practice work?

I know 8th grade math can feel boring (if students do not know the practical applications of basic math skills to real world development), so most kids might think its cool that you let them listen to music in class. But what about the about kids with concentration difficulties? Does the music not distract them?

I would fall into this category and I cannot do math unless I'm in a super quiet environment. I'm taking a statistics class and I did terrible on the 1st exam. For the 2nd exam I brought ear plugs and got a 100. I'm just concerned for others like me that a stimuli-rich environment could prevent them from expressing their true knowledge of the material.

"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school."

Seriously though if i had a teacher in high school that played obscure, or any kind of music in school, maybe i would have went to more classes instead of getting baked in the field house.

So music is playing when you're not lecturing and the kids are not testing, so I imagine that's when they are busy doing practice work?

I know 8th grade math can feel boring (if students do not know the practical applications of basic math skills to real world development), so most kids might think its cool that you let them listen to music in class. But what about the about kids with concentration difficulties? Does the music not distract them?

I would fall into this category and I cannot do math unless I'm in a super quiet environment. I'm taking a statistics class and I did terrible on the 1st exam. For the 2nd exam I brought ear plugs and got a 100. I'm just concerned for others like me that a stimuli-rich environment could prevent them from expressing their true knowledge of the material.

Yes, I do play music while the kids are practicing the new concepts they've learned (side note: I try to NEVER give 'busy' work, everything I assign has meaning and is important to the concepts the students are learning... but I digress). 

They almost always do this work in cooperative groups and are encouraged to discuss and think out loud while doing their work together; so its not like its quiet during that time anyways.  That said, I do hear what you are saying... and while the majority of kids seem to really love it, I do have to keep in mind that some students can't do math (or any work) with loud (often experiment and/or abrasive) music playing in the background. 

without my records being in my bedroom, a serious toll has been taken on how often i listen. which i do almost entirely when playing video games, which i take maaaaybe 2-3 hours a week to do. 

it's shitty, but it helps with the motivation to move out an have a more accessible setup.

Guest johneedeformed

Maybe around 2 LPs per day. Obviously I don't listen every single day but if I averaged it out over a year this would be a safe estimate. Some days I don't listen but others I'll do 4-5 in a row.

Only about 1-2 hours daily. This is strictly putting a record on and not doing any other shit while listening. There's almost always music playing in the background when I'm doing everything else though, but rarely vinyl.

Though it baffles me how people (well, people I know) find it an incomprehensible concept to listen to music without doing anything else at the same time.

Guest johneedeformed

Only about 1-2 hours daily. This is strictly putting a record on and not doing any other shit while listening. There's almost always music playing in the background when I'm doing everything else though, but rarely vinyl.

Though it baffles me how people (well, people I know) find it an incomprehensible concept to listen to music without doing anything else at the same time.

I miss the days when I used to sit and listen to an album and read along in the lyric books. I still try to do this but sadly these moments are fewer in between