Po: Jimmy Eat World - damage

played through the stream a few times, and i'm really enjoying it.

a lot.

a pretty good apology for invented if you ask me, but still not as good as chase this light was.

i'd be so bold as to say it might top futures tho.

a lot people don't agree with me on that, but i think futures and invented are their two worst albums.

This is the first JEW album that I haven't liked upon first listen.

Yeah I think this is a great way to put it. It's almost impossible to judge how you'll feel down the road. We all have those albums that just grow and grow and grow for even years.

But he's right, if we're comparing apples to apples (first listens to first listens), I'm completely unimpressed. Wish I didn't have to say that.

Don't know if other people in this thread care about it, but, upon first listen, I'm more excited about The Maine's new stuff that just released today. Give it a shot.

Just listened to this once through, then tried to do it a second time but couldn't...definitely going to be a grower.  The melodies are much more subtle.  

yeah good way to put it. not that it's sonically the same, but it reminds me of how I felt the first time I listened to dangerous summer - war paint all the way through. felt like I was bored but I had to be missing something. like nothing stood out but I kept listening cuz it felt like I should. I dunno.

yeah good way to put it. not that it's sonically the same, but it reminds me of how I felt the first time I listened to dangerous summer - war paint all the way through. felt like I was bored but I had to be missing something. like nothing stood out but I kept listening cuz it felt like I should. I dunno.

War Paint got stronger with every listen though imo. I liked it at first but over time it just really started to have stand out tracks I just had to hear live like Miscommunication and In My Room.

"No, Never" is my favorite song. It reminds me of "Splash, Turn, Twist" — just solid, straight-ahead rock. JEW do that kind of stuff so well.

That's my favorite track too! I really hope they do an acoustic version though. The video of Jim doing it solo on YouTube is so good!

I don't see what all the hate is about. I've given it about 6 or so listens and I love it. The closing tracking is great too.

I am really excited to hear the album closer on this one. That is one thing Jimmy is SO solid at. I didn't give Invented more than 4 or 5 listens, but I listened to Mixtape about 50 times.

this is possibly their worst closer ever.

it's only 4 minutes long, and recorded very low-fi.

it still easily the most mellow/emo song on the album, but it doesn't come close to any of their previous closers.

that being said, this album is WAY more solid than invented.

All right, let's get into it. Rank the albums!

Clarity

Static Prevails

Bleed American

Damage

Futures

Invented

Chase This Light

(I don't even consider the S/T to be a "real" JEW record, it's soooo bad, but if I had to rank it it would be at the bottom)

static prevails

clarity

chase this light

bleed american

damage

futures

invented

if we were including the singles collection, it would fall at #3.

Ok so I just don't understand the love for static prevails. Clarity is more understandable but still. I didn't listen to them back in the day but that does give me fresh new ears. Same thing for me for brand new and tbs. started on second or third album, still listened to the old ones and love them. Just doesn't feel the same here. For what it's worth...

Bleed American

Futures

Invented

Chase this Light

Damage?

Clarity

Static Prevails

So much hating on Invented...album had some seriously solid melodies.  

I don't know I absolutely loved Chase This Light, it just seemed like a big change to me.  Maybe I need to go back and give it a relisten. 

Clarity

Futures

Chase This Light

Bleed American

Static Prevails

Damage

Invented

I got into Jimmy Eat World around the time of Futures, for some reason I always put them off as they didn't appeal to me so that is why Static Prevails is lower on my charts so don't kill me please.  I really do love Jimmy Eat World and I feel like each of their albums brings something different.  This is a tough list to make because at certain times it can change for me depending on my mood.

All right, let's get into it. Rank the albums!

Clarity

Static Prevails

Bleed American

Damage

Futures

Invented

Chase This Light

(I don't even consider the S/T to be a "real" JEW record, it's soooo bad, but if I had to rank it it would be at the bottom)

Clarity

Bleed American

Futures / Static Prevails

Chase This Light

Damage

S/T

Invented