Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I agree that the article made some valid points. However, I think that the value comparison is misleading and that pretty much nullifies his conclusion.

I recently got into vinyl and I was initially looking at the LP120 along with the other usual suspects.  The base price is attractive but I was eventually turned-off because most of the LP120 supporters talked about the upgrades they made (mentioned above) to make their LP120 just as good as those other "more expensive" tables.

If the street price of the LP120 is $230 and you drop another $100 (completely made up this figure) on a new cart you're only $20 off the price of a Debut Carbon (~$350 not double the price of the LP120 as the author claims).  

At that point, which is the better starter table?  The one that requires you to:

1) learn about carts/needles (good luck newbie!)

2) replace the cart (see above)

3) deal with the phono preamp fake out (it's included...but don't use it!)

or the one that costs $20 more but saves you the hassle.

ADDITIONALLY - I feel like there are people out there who will search high and low for opinions that align with their own  unfounded perspective rather than look at a greater pool of stances and considering the plurality.

At that point, which is the better starter table?  The one that requires you to:

1) learn about carts/needles (good luck newbie!)

2) replace the cart (see above)

3) deal with the phono preamp fake out (it's included...but don't use it!)

or the one that costs $20 more but saves you the hassle.

You make a lot of good points. But I'd argue that you don't need to deal with any of that. If you buy the LP120 for $230, and you're happy with the sound, then you never need to touch it until the cartridge needs to be replaced. It'll be a couple notches below other tables in that price range, but it's still much better (and safer) than a Crosley or LP60.

That said, I disagree with the article, because out of the box, the LP120 is not equal or better than its more expensive counterparts. It's just not. But I think the initial price is a big factor, depending on someone's starting budget...and $230 vs $350 makes a difference. Once their feet are wet, then they can fuck with what's under the hood. And if they don't already know about carts/needles at that point, it's as good of a time as any to start learning. 

I had mine for a few months and was just fine with the "stock" sound, until I started getting antsy and looking into ways to squeeze more out of it. At that point the extra $100 you mention came into play...but by then I already knew this was a hobby I was going to stick with, and I'd poured enough money into upgrading the rest of my setup (not to mention all the records I'd bought over that time), so another $100 wasn't that big of a deal.

The guy did say it's not equal to the better tables but that he felt that the performance gain was not justified by the price differential.

As I say I've tried one and for the money couldn't fault it but whether I would suggest it depends on the person, their budget and what their expectations are.

If at $230 you like the sound of the AT then all is good and if you are not an up grader then again all good. The problem comes if you are going to go further with this hobby. You can upgrade the AT and in some respects it does win over the Project or the U Turn because the arm is so adjustable and it has a removable headshell but sooner or later without internal changes you will hit it's sonic ceiling which I still feel is much higher than some give it credit for but still lower than turntables like the project, the U-Turn I can't comment on as I have never heard one.

Some people just don't have hifi ears and are drawn to vinyl for other reasons than sonics and for these the AT120 will do a superb job and be all they ever need which is fine.

But if you get caught by the bug then I would say you would be better buying something like a Project or a Rega from the word go as you will only move on from the AT sooner or later anyway so you might as well have a decent start point.

It's all relative and hifi can be very snobby, the Debut and U Turn are considered entry level so to a hifi person the bare minimum they would consider but to others they are what they aspire to.

In this article they guy was aiming at the average person getting into vinyl and who probably doesn't have hifi ears but has enough pride to take care of their vinyl and I would say there are quite a few on this board that fall into that category, then quite a few who want and can afford better and the rest who want better but can't afford it yet.

The bottom line and the point of this thread is still the same:

DON'T BUY A CROSLEY! THEY ARE THE SPAWN OF SATAN'S ARSE!

• 2 weeks later...

PM6003. I found it for £100. The PM5004 is normally £160. Don't you have a Marantz amp, mate? I think I recall seeing you mention that somewhere. I might be wrong though, haha.

I only ask because it's hard to answer the question without knowing actual prices.  Cannot really comment on UK prices, but I would probably give the PM6003 a shot.  The price seems pretty rock bottom and you can always flip it later on.   

I only ask because it's hard to answer the question without knowing actual prices.  Cannot really comment on UK prices, but I would probably give the PM6003 a shot.  The price seems pretty rock bottom and you can always flip it later on.   

Sure thing! Yeah, comes to about $170. Not too bad. Cheers for the words anyway!

This girl I've liked at my college has a Crosley all in one she got as a gift. I don't want to come off as an asshole and tell her it sucks :(

Self-Respect 101: Never settle, not with a woman, not with your kids, not with your boss, not with a record player your crush owns.

;)

Both.

That's just the answer I was looking for, but in case someone does want to take pleasure in creating a system for me to enjoy, message me. If you do not pity me enough here is the back story. I have had an old Yorx Newave for, well, as long as I have known how to speak. My other player is a Fisher Price 825 that my wife has had for the same amount of time. We have not been seriously collecting long, so never cared about what our set up sounded like. As our interest grows, so does our desire to listen to records that have good depth, and doesn't sound like 1970s fun house music. I'll be here...waiting for friends.....

My girlfriend got a crappy portable from some thrift store, I offered to let her borrow one of my twin Technics 1200s, but she said she didn't care, she doesn't buy new records anyways, just ones from the thrift store. But then she told me this weekend "I don't really care about records anymore" and I couldn't bring myself to respond. She was the one who got me into them. Heartbroken

Both.

That's just the answer I was looking for, but in case someone does want to take pleasure in creating a system for me to enjoy, message me. If you do not pity me enough here is the back story. I have had an old Yorx Newave for, well, as long as I have known how to speak. My other player is a Fisher Price 825 that my wife has had for the same amount of time. We have not been seriously collecting long, so never cared about what our set up sounded like. As our interest grows, so does our desire to listen to records that have good depth, and doesn't sound like 1970s fun house music. I'll be here...waiting for friends.....

Grow a pair and post it, buddy. You'll take what we give you and you'll like it, noob!

Actually, this thread is a safe zone as far as I am concerned. It is the beginners thread after all. That being said there are TONS of threads created by people who think their budget needs are unique (they're not), so you could always check those.

Grow a pair and post it, buddy. You'll take what we give you and you'll like it, noob!

Actually, this thread is a safe zone as far as I am concerned. It is the beginners thread after all. That being said there are TONS of threads created by people who think their budget needs are unique (they're not), so you could always check those.

Grow a pair and post what haha. I thought the cool way to write it was n00b! I am glad to be a noob though, and have so many (mostly kind) people willing to help. My budget isn't unique I am sure. I was just looking to make a connection with someone I could go to and ask questions when I need to. Make a friend I guess :unsure:

Grow a pair and post what haha. I thought the cool way to write it was n00b! I am glad to be a noob though, and have so many (mostly kind) people willing to help. My budget isn't unique I am sure. I was just looking to make a connection with someone I could go to and ask questions when I need to. Make a friend I guess :unsure:

This thread helped me:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/98633-help-me-come-up-with-a-decent-setup-on-a-budget/

I'd just suggest if you have less money to spend, try the U-turn http://uturnaudio.com instead of the Carbon TT.