What's the difference between a "launch" edition and "standard" edition?

I was thinking about ordering but I'd rather just tell all my family to pool their money together and buy me one. Seems like a good Xmas present.

Product Alert

The standard version of the PlayStation 4 is identical to the Launch Edition. Due to high demand, we cannot guarantee Release-Date Delivery on the standard version of the PlayStation 4. We will deliver the standard version of PlayStation 4 as close to its release date as possible.

i watched the conference today.

even though there's a lot of new features on the new xbox i like, i hate all the limitations that everyone else does.

the ps4 looks way better, and cheaper.

if i do get a new console, which would probably happen with my tax return. it will def. be this one.

Product Alert

The standard version of the PlayStation 4 is identical to the Launch Edition. Due to high demand, we cannot guarantee Release-Date Delivery on the standard version of the PlayStation 4. We will deliver the standard version of PlayStation 4 as close to its release date as possible.

Gotcha, thanks.

For those of you in Canada (or at least Ontario) FutureShop has an amazing sale on PS4 games right now.

Pre-Order one and get $10 off the game

Pre-Order two and get $15 off each game

Pre-Order three and get $20 off each game

So it pretty much boils down to a buy two get one free sale.  Not bad at all.

Thinking about buying stock in Sony. Initial comments point to them being the favorite in this battle. Plus, consoles seem subject to network externalities -- the value it has to the customer is dependent on the number of users on the networks. A small shift of the "swing customers" away from Xbox and to PS3 could snowball.

Still gotta do the financial analysis. Just talking out loud. 

I think the PS4 will be a nice seller, not sure how much that will impact Sony's stock price. In their total portfolio the electronics portion isn't a primary revenue driver, especially the games division, which will be at a net loss for a while.

That said, the 2012 annual report says they plan to revaluate and narrow their focus to three core services, gaming is included. Maybe they expect the current hardware offering to drive growth and minimize the impact of selling the PS4 at a loss until they can reduce manufacturing costs. What do I know. (hint: very little)

Links:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-sony-operating-income-september-2011-2011-11

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/no-the-xbox-one-did-not-cause-sonys-stock-to-surge

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/2012/common/docs/FinancialDataE.pdf

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/2012/policy/page01.html

I think the PS4 will be a nice seller, not sure how much that will impact Sony's stock price. In their total portfolio the electronics portion isn't a primary revenue driver, especially the games division, which will be at a net loss for a while.

That said, the 2012 annual report says they plan to revaluate and narrow their focus to three core services, gaming is included. Maybe they expect the current hardware offering to drive growth and minimize the impact of selling the PS4 at a loss until they can reduce manufacturing costs. What do I know. (hint: very little)

Links:

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-sony-operating-income-september-2011-2011-11

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/no-the-xbox-one-did-not-cause-sonys-stock-to-surge

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/2012/common/docs/FinancialDataE.pdf

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/2012/policy/page01.html

Yeah, it's a spec play. Not hoping as much for profit as positive press, If the general tone around Xmas is "PS4 is kicking XBOX's ass" the stock will go up, regardless of whether the company is actually turning a profit.

Just going to keep an eye on it. But back to gaming...

• 2 weeks later...

What I'd LOVE to see, is it get a 250gb solid state drive. Lets cut out some load times via installed games.

Haha, yeah, and then pay an additional $500 only for the SSD... :D

Could not stop laughing at this:

AWESOME! So funny... :D

I preordered mine yesterday at amazon.de...my last console was PS 1 :D Wanted to buy PS3 earlier this year but fortunately I waited...

I'll probably pre-order this this weekend sometime. What kind of games do you think will be free for PS+ when the PS4 comes out? I usually play single-player games and hardly ever play multiplayer. So, I'm not really sold on PS+ yet, but if there were some really good games for free I'd almsot definitely buy a one year subscription from the start.

To the person who was talking about wanting it to ship with an SSD, I originally had the same thought, but then remembered how much my 128GB SSD cost. A 250GB SSD would cost well over what the whole console costs. But, there is hope. The 500GB HDD I'd replaceable, so in the future, there may be SSD support.

Even though Microsoft has just went back on all their policies, they still won't recover from the one-two punch delivered by Sony, first at the E3 conference, and then by Jimmy Fallon's "so I heard this one actually plays used games?" :P

To the person who asked about what games will be free, and the people talking about PS+, I'm already a member and have been since I got my PS3 in November. I've only played online once, but features like automatic updating of system and games and apps, uploading saves, and all that fun stuff makes it worth it. Not to mention the free games, the main reason I got it. At launch, Sony said there will be a PS+ edition of Drive Club free for members, and I'm sure there'll be others.

Here's just a few of the bigger-name games I've gotten for free: Sleeping Dogs, Super Street Fighter 4, Deus Ex, Little Big Planet 2, Uncharted 3, Darksiders, and plenty more smaller games. Plus I've gotten pretty huge discounts on lots of awesome games and DLC.

So I finally decided to preorder the Killzone bundle from Amazon. It seems like a pretty neat game, I've never really been a FPS kind of guy but this one looks like there's some platforming involved so I liked that. I wish inFamous was a launch day title, but I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out. 

So I finally decided to preorder the Killzone bundle from Amazon. It seems like a pretty neat game, I've never really been a FPS kind of guy but this one looks like there's some platforming involved so I liked that. I wish inFamous was a launch day title, but I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out. 

In terms of online multiplayer FPS, most would suggest the COD or Battlefield are the best.  In my opinion, the best FPS campaign mode is owned by the Kill Zone series.  Story is great and the on-screen chaos makes for a fun game.  I can't freakin wait for this.  It's the only game I have on pre-order right now but I am also really interested in Destiny.

In terms of online multiplayer FPS, most would suggest the COD or Battlefield are the best.  In my opinion, the best FPS campaign mode is owned by the Kill Zone series.  Story is great and the on-screen chaos makes for a fun game.  I can't freakin wait for this.  It's the only game I have on pre-order right now but I am also really interested in Destiny.

Yeah, it's the only game I've got preordered right now too. I was planning on ordering the Watch Dogs bundle cause that game looks really good too but the Killzone bundle with the year of PS+ for $500 made me switch.

I know $10 off isn't that big of a deal when you're already paying over $400 for a console but it seemed like a good enough game that I took the chance.

• 6 months later...