Back to Vinyl: Office Turntable

From a marketing standpoint it's a really good idea

This!

That's the way to grab attention...imagine label responsibles sitting in front of a shitload of demo cds...no one's going to listen! Always the same...but then you come up with this and BOOOOM!!! (as long as it's not the same music as in the video) :D

Am I understanding this right? It's basically a mailer that is shaped like a turntable, where you use an app and pretend to play it on the 'table' but the music comes out of your iPhone? 

It's a good marketing idea but I feel like it might be a hassle - especially with publications that get plenty of vinyl sent their way.

Am I understanding this right? It's basically a mailer that is shaped like a turntable, where you use an app and pretend to play it on the 'table' but the music comes out of your iPhone? 

It's a good marketing idea but I feel like it might be a hassle - especially with publications that get plenty of vinyl sent their way.

I'd imagine if it was being sent to a publication that got a lot of vinyl, they could just throw it on their office turntable instead of hassling with the iPhone app.

I'd imagine if it was being sent to a publication that got a lot of vinyl, they could just throw it on their office turntable instead of hassling with the iPhone app.

Yeah, that's true. But at that point, isn't that no different than just sending a CD/record? If they have a turntable, there's no use for the app.. they'll just take the record and throw it on the bottom of the pile (or toss it out).

I'm just nitpicking. It's a cool idea and would definitely bring in a ton of listeners. 

Yeah, that's true. But at that point, isn't that no different than just sending a CD/record? If they have a turntable, there's no use for the app.. they'll just take the record and throw it on the bottom of the pile (or toss it out).

I'm just nitpicking. It's a cool idea and would definitely bring in a ton of listeners. 

I think in this case of a large publication, something is bound to be thrown out whether it be a CD or a record. I think where this idea really shines is the smaller publications that have less incoming mail/experience with records. Just my two cents here. Plus, I see it as a similar situation as what Boards of Canada did with their teaser for their new album by randomly releasing a snippet of a song on vinyl. I'm sure there wouldn't have been nearly as much buzz about it if they just released a snippet of an MP3 on a music blog or whatever. There was a certain excitement about it.

I tend to feel creative marketing has a short shelf life since it's often times not practical. Also reminds me of a story a professor once told me about a student of his who tried to apply to a design firm way out of his league. The guy wrote his resume on a shirt and sent it to the firm. Scored him an interview, but not a job.