PO: Balance And Composure - The Things We Think We're Missing

Well since they're not coming to Canada anymore, looking for the tour variant of this record, it's the only on I don't have yet. Willing to pay $75PPD to Canada. Hit me up. 

75 ppd. damn

When I saw them play with Touché Amore a couple(?) years ago it was a very small show. Before they hit the first chord the crowd just surged forward suddenly and the first two rows of people were shoved into the band's stuff. I was going to try and stay up front with my friend but I bailed, I'm too old for that garbage.

The point of all that is my friend ended up holding Jon's mic up most of their set. No one had any respect for the band and their set.

When I saw them play with Touché Amore a couple(?) years ago it was a very small show. Before they hit the first chord the crowd just surged forward suddenly and the first two rows of people were shoved into the band's stuff. I was going to try and stay up front with my friend but I bailed, I'm too old for that garbage.

I feel that way and I'm 18. Idk it just pisses me off.

Maybe because I've been to mostly hardcore/punk shows from age 13 on, but I don't find anything wrong with kids stage diving and or moshing. I don't really partake anymore because I'm more fragile these days but I was going crazy back in the day. But thats pretty much expected and accepted are hardcore shows. So yeah, doesn't really bother me, but I'm also not up there trying to give a performance.

Maybe because I've been to mostly hardcore/punk shows from age 13 on, but I don't find anything wrong with kids stage diving and or moshing. I don't really partake anymore because I'm more fragile these days but I was going crazy back in the day. But thats pretty much expected and accepted are hardcore shows. So yeah, doesn't really bother me, but I'm also not up there trying to give a performance.

I think it has to do with the type of music being played. I just don't see the need for incessant stage diving for bands like Tigers Jaw and Balance And Composure. I understand the deal with hardcore/punk bands and if I'm watching Paint It Black, American Nightmare etc...especially bands with a lead singer that doesn't play an instrument and just works a crowd. I know it comes with the territory. I don't think Tiny Raindrop is a song to front flip off a monitor to. 

I should clarify I'm neutral about stage diving and crowd surfing in particular. I feel like now at some of these shows these kids are doing it wrong.

I think bands like Tigers Jaw and B&C are in a gray area because really crowd surfing and stage diving is less about trying to get "rowdy" and more about trying to get as close to the mic as possible to sing along and feel more connected and "in the moment". Those bands are very lyric-oriented and relatable and kids want to sing along and have that release.

I don't know, it's just a cool experience. I personally don't get angry when kids jump on me (unless it's the same kid over and over) and I spend much more time helping kids up and catching kids than I do actually stage diving myself. It's just cool seeing so many angsty kids and young adults getting together in one place, having each other's backs, and releasing emotion like that. 

Don't mean to get all touchy feely but that's my take on it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...