Dustin Kensrue :: The Water and The Blood :: Oct 1 2013

Yeah, I felt reasonably turned off by this record just on account of it being a worship record. I became more interested in it just from the opening of his post:

I would have laughed five years ago if you told me I would one day be a pastor putting out a worship record and overseeing worship and a record label at a 14-location church.

I would have told you that I don’t even like worship music. I didn’t like how so much of it was full of unhelpful and unhealthy theology. I didn’t like how much of the worship music culture was insulated and backward-looking that it no longer had any relation to any music outside of its own bubble.

I don't begrudge him that he may want to make music tailored toward his faith, and I especially like that he says that he wanted to make it accessible in some way to people who may not be religious, and that it might even provide a sense of commonality to his earlier work (i.e. Thrice).

I honestly wasn't even planning to check this out at all, but now I think I'll at least give it a couple of listens and see what I think.

I've listened to the whole album this morning.  It was just ok for me, not great.  Definitely had more of a Thrice feel than PCH but honestly, I was looking for more of that folk element that PCH had.  I think he should leave the Thrice sound out of his solo work, but that's just me.  The track "It's Not Enough" was probably my favorite, very powerful song.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried to like it but I just can't stand the use of the words god and lord that much. Even the music was just kinda meh, nothing stood out to me. It was mostly slow and simple. Please come home was great and folky.

My sentiments exactly.  I was willing to actually look past the lyrical content if the music was great.  Alas, I found the music to be very sub-par when compared to PCH.  That's not to say that I think the music is terrible, I just think it's not my cup o tea.  I too preferred the folky stylings of PCH much better.  Just can't get down with campfire, sing-along, praise jesus music.  Looking forward to the follow-up for PCH.

Everyone should listen to the Nothing to Write Home About session he did with Matt Pryor.. it's a great interview in that Matt is in no way shape or form a "believer" but he conducts the interview without any sort of judgy pretense. Like a dude who doesn't get it but honestly wants to understand. He asks about and lets Dustin address a lot of issues that most of you seem to have. Dustin talks about what he was going for with this record and how he understands that it won't be for everyone, but that this record serves a different purpose than a thrice record or his other solo record. His other projects have been about the art, or music for music's sake. Worship music is different in that it is meant to be sung collectively by a group of people professing and affirming what they believe and therefore the music must be A) easily singable by a large group of people and B) the lyrics have to more clearly state what is being professed or affirmed.

There is a movement occurring among some christian musicians to sort of reclaim the genre. A lot of "christian" music sucks, is pretty mindless and cheesy, and even worse- theologically empty. I think Dustin is a part of this unspoken movement of artists who are hoping to show that christian music doesn't have to suck. I'm not a fan of every track on the record, but I certainly understand where he's going with it.

just checked again. i ordered it on aug 26, and its "preparing for shipment" with a delivery date of nov 1st by 8:00 PM. I also ordered it when it was $18 and its up to $20 now. 

Mine is saying Preparing for Shipment as well, and I ordered it for $17.10 on Aug. 26th.  Looking forward to finally getting this on vinyl, and the alternate artwork opposed to the cd.  I'm loving this album.

Mine is saying Preparing for Shipment as well, and I ordered it for $17.10 on Aug. 26th. Looking forward to finally getting this on vinyl, and the alternate artwork opposed to the cd. I'm loving this album.

Let me know if either of you get this in the next day or so, my status is still not yet shipped, ordered September 1st...