I Am Tired of Repressed Records In The Same Year! Especially For RSD!

So...here is the deal.  I'm tired of repressed records...in particular within the same year!  Yeah, older stuff that hasn't been pressed in a years, decades even is OK (and sometimes f'n awesome), but I'm super tired of going to RSD to buy exclusive releases and finding out they repressed it a few months later.  Don't give me the "Why should I buy more on Ebay for limited quantities argument either" or "supply and demand", because that does not fly with me. 

For RSD 2013, we have alrady seen repressed recoreds by The White Stripes Elephant...IE see Mad Season's Above.  Both were limited, but a few months later are massive releases. 

I mean, I get that they change it from Numbered and Colored to Not Numbered and Black, but I'm tired of seeing bands offer something exclusive and then later offering the same thing in a different varation only a few short months later.  It's not like I'm against bands making money, but I'm against disclosing it's limited because it's stamped and then pressing twice the amount a few months later. It's like having a funeral for someone and the day after everyone wants a piece of the inheritance!

It devalues the entire point of collecting.  I am guessing that even if you repress 5000 black records after you sell 5000 stamped records, the cash you are making isn't going to put you into retirement, so why risk your fan base if you pull that garbage?

Anyone feel the same way?  Can you think of another band that you felt duped by for shelling out coin for RSD only to be pissed off a few months later? My thought is that RSD should have a contract with the bands that they can't repress the vinyl for a certain amount of months / years after they contribute to RSD.  After all, it's a massive success and probably wouldn't disaude bands and labels from the concept of supporting RSD!

In full disclosure, I love buying vinyl and I support bands, but I don't like buying something that is advertised as limited and then be jacked a few months later.

Off my soap box...talk amongst yourselves!

Im just sick of limited. I mean i love the collect-ability and shit but the reason "limited" records get repressed is because somone who wants the white stripes album that was RSD exclusive isnt gonna wanna pay the 200 bones on ebay if they miss it, which its likely that they will. Represses keep resale cost low(er) and provide availability to everyone. An album shouldnt get an RSD spot for this reason IMO. Albums should be widely available. RSD should be gimicky records and unreleased content that you wouldnt otherwise get. that way its truly limited. Tegan and Saras RSD releases are perfect (although they kinda suck) Live albums and a remix album. Those things wont need represses. Feel me?

I feel you.  You are right, T and S offer it up the right way and most likely most of their stuff won't get repressed.... and thanks for bringing them up.  I remember them pre-releasing something on white vinyl and then releasing it to the mass media on the actual date, which is totally acceptable and respectable.

I'm just tired of bands acting like it's exclusive for RSD and then releasing it a few months later.  There are so many bands that could cash in on "limited for RSD" and then pressing twice the amount a few months later....like The White Stripes....like Mad Season.

It's just not f'n cool!

I feel you.  You are right, T and S offer it up the right way and most likely most of their stuff won't get repressed.... and thanks for bringing them up.  I remember them pre-releasing something on white vinyl and then releasing it to the mass media on the actual date, which is totally acceptable and respectable.

I'm just tired of bands acting like it's exclusive for RSD and then releasing it a few months.  There are so many bands that could cash in on "limited for RSD" and then pressing twice the amount a few months later....like The White Stripes....like Mad Season.

It's just not f'n cool!

Well we all know Jack White loves doing that kind of shit. Fuck that dude. Third Man is such a gimicky piece of shit label. I understand its all for collectors purposes but holy fuck im sick of this resell game that labels clearly want to happen.

YO!.....It's a metaphore taken out of context.  The metaphore was "It's like having a funeral for someone and the day after everyone wants a piece of the inheritance!".

I am not saying buying a record is like a funeral, I'm saying that "greed" kicks in after a succesfull release on RSD and everyone wants a piece of what is leftover, so they repress more and more and more records.

Get it now?

TMR has plenty of gimmicks but most of the stuff they do is actually cool and interesting when it comes to gimmicky presses. However, they are one of a few labels who will do their gimmick press of a title and then keep it in print on black so as to cut down on any exclusivity and color press chasing so if you just want to listen to it, you have the standard black press option always available to you. Keeping in-demand titles in print = doing it right, regardless of how many gimmick presses exist. The second hand market is blown out of proportion by the "collectors" and the flippers. If you're playing that game, you deserve the headache.

YO!.....It's a metaphore taken out of context. The metaphore was "It's like having a funeral for someone and the day after everyone wants a piece of the inheritance!".

I am not saying buying a record is like a funeral, I'm saying that "greed" kicks in after a succesfull release on RSD and everyone wants a piece of what is leftover, so they repress more and more and more records.

Get it now?

Aren't you the one being greedy by saying you want limited pressings to stay limited so not everyone has the chance to buy them? I hate that type of "collector" mentality, it just reminds me of comic book guy from the Simpsons. Who cares how limited something is? It has no effect on me actually being able to enjoy the music on a record when I put it on my turntable. I buy the music I like and I think everyone should be entitled to do the same.

Anyone feel the same way?

No.

It devalues the entire point of collecting. 

tb078f5_GrumpyCatGood.jpg

Jesus, people in 2013 bitching and moaning about records being available to everyone. Unbeliavable.

Buy that shit for the content. Then if said record for whatver reason becomes really sought after: SCORE! Other wise you still have something to play with once you get old and tired.

It has always been like that, always will be. It's the market and its fluctuations that makes a record 'rare', not a sticker that says limited or variants.

YO!.....It's a metaphore taken out of context.  The metaphore was "It's like having a funeral for someone and the day after everyone wants a piece of the inheritance!".

Get it now?

I understand the concept of a metaphor. My issue is that your metaphor is grossly diluted by your misguided ideology on vinyl record production, usage, supply and sale.

Aren't you the one being greedy by saying you want limited pressings to stay limited so not everyone has the chance to buy them? I hate that type of "collector" mentality, it just reminds me of comic book guy from the Simpsons. I buy the music I like and I think everyone should be entitled to do the same.

fuck, I intended to give you positive feedback on this, but did negative.

sorry..you're absolutely right!!!

Aren't you the one being greedy by saying you want limited pressings to stay limited so not everyone has the chance to buy them? I hate that type of "collector" mentality, it just reminds me of comic book guy from the Simpsons. Who cares how limited something is? It has no effect on me actually being able to enjoy the music on a record when I put it on my turntable. I buy the music I like and I think everyone should be entitled to do the same.

THIS.

fuck, I intended to give you positive feedback on this, but did negative.

sorry..you're absolutely right!!!

Don't worry. I gave him a positive.

Nope... you got it wrong.  I'm far from greedy by asking the labels to be honest with us.  If you reaease something that is clearly advertised as "exclusive, colored, 180 gram, hand numbered for RSD" but don't inform me that you a pressing twice the amount to sell 2 months later, then that is deceptive.  I love both the bands I was talking about (White Stripes, Mad Season), but pissed off that I spent more for something that would have been available a few months later for far less money.

It's not collector mentallity, it's just about being informed and not deceived!

Nope... you got it wrong.  I'm far from greedy by asking the labels to be honest with us.  If you reaease something that is clearly advertised as "exclusive, colored, 180 gram, hand numbered for RSD" but don't inform me that you a pressing twice the amount to sell 2 months later, then that is deceptive.  I love both the bands I was talking about (White Stripes, Mad Season), but pissed off that I spent more for something that would have been available a few months later for far less money.

It's not collector mentallity, it's just about being informed and not deceived!

The same thing happens every RSD on popular releases though, like clockwork. It's almost common knowledge at this point. I'm sorry that you weren't informed enough to realize that before you bought into a gimmicky holiday.

What bloodrunsblack said is on point too. The label is being straight up about an exclusive variant. No one deceived you.

I gleamed some inside info that red vinyl and slightly darker red vinyl were merging. Better buy now while stock prices are low, their values will increase tenfold by tomorrow morning! Trust me, my vinyl portfolio doubles in value every month!

If you don't like RSD bullshit then speak with your wallet. As long as you keep buyin they'll keep sellin.

Good points all around, but mostly taken out of context.  The "I buy records so others don't have them" is soooo misguided...but I digress.  The point was for bands to not capitalize on RSD within a time period.

Haters and clowns all around!

First of all, its usually not the bands that are controlling the production of the records they write and record. Its the label. In Jack White's case, he is his own label but in most cases label and band are separate entities.

I don't know how long you've been into record purchasing or collecting but RSD has pretty much always been this way and it is to be expected that there will be standard production variants to come later after RSD. That's not always the case but in most of the titles that I've been after in the past few years, it has. A lot of labels are going out of their way to make this known now. I'm not saying all are doing this but a lot are. Again, if you do enough research, you'll find out that a sometimes less expensive standard press will be coming shortly after the RSD press and if you really don't find any info it, wait it out. I think what you are trying to say is, "tell me there will be a less expensive press later and I'll wait and if you don't divulge that and prey on my desire for a record that I have no idea is being repressed, you're a jackass." That, I get. But if you're saying they shouldn't do a repress because it wasn't announced ahead of time, I can see the frustration but I feel any time a label keeps a record in print, its a good thing.

The solution: Though it is a pain in the ass you can always sell the more expensive one and grab the less expensive when it becomes available.