Looming Federal Government Shutdown

yes, my job isnt affected, but everyone who runs the DOL segment of our program are laid off as of midnight.  they're actually allowed to go in tomorrow for 4 hours to get stuff and then they have to leave.  the potential NLRB co-op I have been debating on doing is also in limbo. 

The last shutdown lasted three weeks

The three-week shutdown that lasted from Dec. 16, 1995, to Jan. 6, 1996, ranks as the longest in U.S. history. As a result, about 284,000 federal workers were furloughed, and around 475,000 essential employees went without a paycheck, although they were eventually reimbursed.

They weren't the only ones inconvenienced. Some benefits for military veterans were delayed, and cleanup at more than 600 toxic waste sites was stopped. The government also shut down for six days in mid-November 1995, initially resulting in the furlough of 800,000 federal employees. The Congressional Research Service reported the shutdowns cost taxpayers a combined $1.4 billion.

The last shutdown lasted three weeks

The three-week shutdown that lasted from Dec. 16, 1995, to Jan. 6, 1996, ranks as the longest in U.S. history. As a result, about 284,000 federal workers were furloughed, and around 475,000 essential employees went without a paycheck, although they were eventually reimbursed.

They weren't the only ones inconvenienced. Some benefits for military veterans were delayed, and cleanup at more than 600 toxic waste sites was stopped. The government also shut down for six days in mid-November 1995, initially resulting in the furlough of 800,000 federal employees. The Congressional Research Service reported the shutdowns cost taxpayers a combined $1.4 billion.

AMERICA!

CANADA! Government Shut Downs DO NOT HAPPEN IN CANADA!

Just Saying

Tomorrow looks like a certainty. Hopefully, that's enough for everyone to prove their point and we can get past the pissing contest. This is stupid.

My vote is for Congressional Thunderdome. 533 enter, 1 leaves.

True, Canada does not have government shutdowns. This is because they aren't a "real" country - i think it's just where the queen stores her maple syrup.

Consider myself to be kind of a liberal republican. I put the blame squarely 50/50.

Yeah, the affordable care act will be funded either way (I refuse to call it Obamacare anymore. That nickname is being stigmatized in the way that "welfare" already has..almost always used in a negative tone). But you know what else? We are 17 trillion in debt and continuing to get worse. Republicans have already caved on spending cuts, what, 4+ times over the last few years? We have to fix this shit or we are going to go bankrupt. We owe about $57k per person!

If the Affordable Care act is a mandate for the Democrats, they need to pony up some spending cuts elsewhere. The American people may have elected a Democratic President but we also elected a Republican House. I'd dig my feet in too if I was a House Republican rather than getting bowled over again and again on spending cuts.

We're a country with a mascot of a bird that looks like he cares too much about PE what did you expect? Like seriously, our country is ran by a bunch of old fucks who can never agree on anything, it's so annoying and the rich just get richer while the poor get poorer go look at a chart of the nation's wealth, this country pisses me off so much, and don't even get me started on the education system, and lack of separation of church and state. I swear Canada is like a nice apartment over a vapid meth lab.

P.s. let's keep this moving to Canada thing on the DL we don't want all the fucks who ruin this country to come with us do we?

We're a country with a mascot of a bird that looks like he cares too much about PE what did you expect? Like seriously, our country is ran by a bunch of old fucks who can never agree on anything, it's so annoying and the rich just get richer while the poor get poorer go look at a chart of the nation's wealth, this country pisses me off so much, and don't even get me started on the education system, and lack of separation of church and state. I swear Canada is like a nice apartment over a vapid meth lab.

P.s. let's keep this moving to Canada thing on the DL we don't want all the fucks who ruin this country to come with us do we?

16982286.jpg

We can go in for up to 4 unpaid hours to prepare for the shutdown. I have heard people talk about furlough letters, but we have not received info stating as such. A few people were "excepted" and still get to work, but everyone else no matter hard money, soft money, interns, post-docs, etc. Can't show up to work. However, some contractors can telework if arrangements have been made.

We are still crazy busy and this puts a definite hurt on our schedule. I imagine this will not last nowhere near as long as the Clinton shutdown, but this is still a bummer. From what I hear, chances may be slim concerning reimbursements of the lost time.

The part is that it should just as interesting when we get to the debt ceiling deadline.