PO: Reggie & The Full Effect - No Country For Old Musicians (purenoise)

It's a small child dressed as Mr. T.

Oof, I assumed that was for the single only, didn't pay too much attention to that mock-up.

totally not saying he abused the crowd-funding platform and pocketed the money or anything like that. just genuinely curious/confused about what the deal is.

It's a legitimate concern and OK to be upset about. On one hand Pure Noise probably wouldn't have gotten behind a Reggie record in 2013 and felt they could move an additional 1300 records on top of the Kickstarted copies if it wasn't funded so successfully. In that regard, the backers made this entire thing possible, however this whole, "Surprise, there's now a label involved offering way cooler pressings you backers would have loved. Preorder for those is up! We're all buddies right?!"-thing cloudies up the transparacy. Label involvement defeats the entire reason for crowd-funding, based on the way the project was originally presented.

Before anyone brings it up, yes, I understand the splatter copies don't sound any different from the red ones. It seems like albums via Kickstarter always end with the backers getting a less worthwhile product when they could have just waited for a proper release and not risked losing money (kind of the label's risk to take).

This is the first kickstarter i have done and most probally be my last. I just feel that you back it because you want the record to be made, the record then gets other pressings and bundles which are better than the bundle im getting for backing it. 

Don't get me wrong im happy it's coming out i just feel as a backer i should get some acknowledgement of making this record happen and not thinking i shouldn't have bothered and waited for the preorder.

This is the first kickstarter i have done and most probally be my last. I just feel that you back it because you want the record to be made, the record then gets other pressings and bundles which are better than the bundle im getting for backing it. 

Don't get me wrong im happy it's coming out i just feel as a backer i should get some acknowledgement of making this record happen and not thinking i shouldn't have bothered and waited for the preorder.

This was my second kickstarter backing (First was Cyanide and Happiness) and I'm not upset about it not being exclusive or the variant being lame (probably because I'm not as interested in vinyl as I once was), I seen it as helping him get motivated to make it. The only vinyl kickstarter I seen be exclusive to backers was the TESD Vinylcast, sadly I missed that when it was running so I managed to pick it up for $90 on here.

This was my second kickstarter backing (First was Cyanide and Happiness) and I'm not upset about it not being exclusive or the variant being lame (probably because I'm not as interested in vinyl as I once was), I seen it as helping him get motivated to make it. The only vinyl kickstarter I seen be exclusive to backers was the TESD Vinylcast, sadly I missed that when it was running so I managed to pick it up for $90 on here.

I'm not bothered it's not exclusive to kick starter backers I just feel I could not of bothered backing him and just picked up a better bundle now.  

Guest Justin Maheiny

He raised over $58,000 for this and the people that donated get a record? I hadn't heard about Kickstarter being used for bands prior to this thread but that seriously seems like a lot of money to record an album. A breakdown of what the money was spent on would probably be pretty interesting.

He raised over $58,000 for this and the people that donated get a record? I hadn't heard about Kickstarter being used for bands prior to this thread but that seriously seems like a lot of money to record an album. A breakdown of what the money was spent on would probably be pretty interesting.

I believe it was a kickstarter to record and then tour on the album without a labels help. He then explained that he licensed the album to Pure Noise to take the burden of production and distribution off his hands so he could focus on said touring.

ok, so in all fairness, i've only actually backed a few vinyl-related kickstarters, but, i'm kind of confused about what the point of the kickstarter was. i was sort of under the impression that the point of crowd-funding the album was so that it could be independently released by the artist. seeing as how it's now being put out by pure noise and not james, i'm just a bit surprised. since there's now a label involved, wouldn't that mean a lot of $$ for james to cover recording/studio costs, touring, etc? he raised over 58k on the kickstarter (and a lot of people questioned what that was even going for), so i'm just wondering what that money was going towards since it was implied that it was recording/production/tour/etc (and i assumed it was so he could do the whole shebang himself). 

totally not saying he abused the crowd-funding platform and pocketed the money or anything like that. just genuinely curious/confused about what the deal is.

Saves the Day did the same thing for their new one. Chris Conley mentioned on Matt Pryor's podcast that they were always going to put it out on a label but the crowd-funding helped them really make the album they wanted to make. Plus they get to have fans involved and make them feel like they're a part of the process (I'm adlibbing here but that's the gist of what was said).

Guest Justin Maheiny

I believe it was a kickstarter to record and then tour on the album without a labels help. He then explained that he licensed the album to Pure Noise to take the burden of production and distribution off his hands so he could focus on said touring.

Ya, I got that part. That's why I'm saying a breakdown of where the money is actually going would be interesting. Is he paying each band member including himself from that money during the recording process and the tour, are they staying in hotels, did they buy a van, rent a bus, use the money to make merch which they will sell and make money off of, opening each show and not getting paid?

I just find it really hard to believe that a band that has been around for 23 years can't do what dudes in bands touring off 7"s alone have done forever unless it's because they are older now and feel entitled to having more. There's been bands self-releasing albums and figuring out how to tour without crowdsourcing for a really really long time.

Ya, I got that part. That's why I'm saying a breakdown of where the money is actually going would be interesting. Is he paying each band member including himself from that money during the recording process and the tour, are they staying in hotels, did they buy a van, rent a bus, use the money to make merch which they will sell and make money off of, opening each show and not getting paid?

I just find it really hard to believe that a band that has been around for 23 years can't do what dudes in bands touring off 7"s alone have done forever unless it's because they are older now and feel entitled to having more. There's been bands self-releasing albums and figuring out how to tour without crowdsourcing for a really really long time.

Who has been around for 23 years? And if you feel that strongly, don't give to the cause.

First and last time I back a kickstarter. That's straight up bullshit to fund this project and help make it happen only to get the most plain "exclusive" piece of vinyl. And it's also the biggest variant. I mean, I'm glad to be getting the vinyl either way because it'll all sound the same but come on...

You gotta imagine the Kickstarter funds are paying for that variant while Pure Noise is fronting the money for the more expensive ones to make making it so James can use more of the funds in other areas. Makes sense to me.

I can see why people would be bummed they arn't getting the "coolest" variant but i understand it not being the rarest, Pure Noise isn't going to make any variant be over 700 pieces.

Personally i don't get the big deal.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Who has been around for 23 years? And if you feel that strongly, don't give to the cause.

1st Reggie & The Full Effect album was release 23 years ago.

I didn't give to the cause. I'm just saying people should be a lot more pissed off that they only got a copy of the record if they donated. Not sure how many people donated but if he raised 58k for the record, the band should be performing at a lot the donor's birthday parties for free.

Guest Justin Maheiny

RT @shitdeweessays: email from wal mart that says my 2 inflatable orca's are on their way!!!! my American flag pool float too. Or should I say "pond float"...

I don't speak internet. What does "RT @shitdeweessays" mean?

1st Reggie & The Full Effect album was release 23 years ago.

I didn't give to the cause. I'm just saying people should be a lot more pissed off that they only got a copy of the record if they donated. Not sure how many people donated but if he raised 58k for the record, the band should be performing at a lot the donor's birthday parties for free.

The first Reggie album came out in 1998.

I pledged $20 to the Kickstarter in exchange for a record and digital download, and that's what I'm getting. Not sure why I should be pissed off or expect something more.

Guest Justin Maheiny

The first Reggie album came out in 1998.

I pledged $20 to the Kickstarter in exchange for a record and digital download, and that's what I'm getting. Not sure why I should be pissed off or expect something more.

Holy shit you're right. I tacked on an extra decade.

My original point was it's not like they're broke teenagers touring on a 7", they've been around awhile and should be able to support themselves while touring.

Guest Justin Maheiny

That is a copied tweet from James(Reggie) saying he bought two inflatable orcas and a pond float from Walmart. Rambo is alluding to him blowing the money on dumb shit.

Haha. Thanks.

Guest Justin Maheiny

I did a Google search to figure out how many people donated and stuff and what they got out of it. If $20 was donated by 2,900 people to reach $58,000, what did the non-vinyl people get? I have no idea how this works but anyway I found this Vice article that pretty much summed up my initial feelings on this. Vice article on Reggie & The Full Effect's Kickstarter campaign.

"it really makes no sense why a label-free indie artist would present a grassroots idea with a major-label price tag"

2nd favorite quote:

"for $7,000 or roughly the cost of two Reggie And the Full Effect songs, Reginald F. Effect will "personally officiate" your wedding to that girl in the cargo shorts and Avail hoodie you dry humped for the first time when you were 22 and are still with."