Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

Lexicon - you ever see or hear a band called Abstracter? They are from your neck of the woods and their new album Wound Empire is fucking awesome. Been playing the hell out of that album the last few weeks.

Listening now and digging it. Thanks a lot for the tip. I'm always interested in finding cool Oakland bands.

EDIT: Yeah this is REALLY good. I was bummed I couldn't get one of the /100, but a little digging coughed one up. Anyone else who wants in http://fragilebranch.com/?product=abstracter-wound-empire-lp

So much hype for the Acid King record. Can't wait to give it a spin when it finally arrives. I also can't believe there are copies of that tiger splatter still available. Perhaps AC will have a few to sell through their store? Or maybe not as it was a Svart exclusive, I think? Still weird if the band doesn't get any.

Also, wanted to let you guys know that I've been writing some of my first reviews for Sludgelord, if you can muster up the stamina to go for a potentially tiring read. Did the review for Sumac some time ago and now the new Undersmile and Lore. Might help you guys decide, if you're still in between on either of them. I reckon it's less of an issue with Elder but I imagine people to be sleeping on Undersmile.

http://thesludgelord.blogspot.com/2015/02/elder-lore-album-review.html

http://thesludgelord.blogspot.com/2015/02/undersmile-anhedonia-album-review.html

Been streaming that Dorthia record a lot as well. Was not sure the first time around but I'm quite liking it. Her voice is what makes it for me. Not too keen on that Van Zandt simplicity yet and was really hoping for that Perennial track to be the demo on her website. Some of the darker tracks that she herself wrote really stand out for me.

/long-ass post

I had like 5 orders all decide to show up at once today. Of the peobably 20 records 1 was stoner/doom. I feel like such a failure...

Ahhhhh, don't feel bad. I haven't gotten a doom record in a minute. (I don't count that Salem's Pot/Windhand since I already had one.)

I've been getting some soft shit lately, and I preordered like a million shitty emo records yesterday.

I'd love to get some stuff that doesn't fall into the doom/stoner spectrum for a change. All I've been ordering lately. Really feeling the pinch on some nice weekend mornings when I'd like to listen to something together with the lady.

The problem is I don't really delve too much into other genres anymore. Doom's all I care for, ha !

Alright, the last is not entirely true but for some reason I seem to spend the most on all the limited doomed and stoned records coming out. I'd love to get a bunch of records in other genres but there just seems to be too much heaviness released. I find that with even the non-metal stuff I'm prone to the dreary and trying so it's not that much help.

Need some more relaxation/feel-good records.

Hey you always need a little bit of emo in your life. I have been going on a binge of jazz records. Between some having a really low cost out the gate (12-14 new for some jazz classics) and amazon offering them for practically nothing its been a nice change of pace.

I hear ya! Most of what I'm looking forward to this year are old emo reissues and other represses. The rest of my excitement is for new doom records!

New to this thread and to the site, so I am sorry if you guys already know about this band, but if not check them out.

Tempel http://tempelofficial.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-steps-of-the-temple

They had 2 pressings of 250 which are sold out from both their bandcamp and prosthetic records, but there are some copies available on amazon and zia.

Looks like they are working on their follow-up which is supposed to drop sometime this summer.

From Druglord's Facebook page.

After a 6 month break from playing shows, DRUGLORD will be hitting the road with some East Coast dates in April. A couple before that too. Short but sweet. We will have some special tour only merch as well, plus a new CD package with both our LPs on it. Also good time to mention our upcoming split LP with Sinister Haze, out later this year on STB Records of course. Help with April 6 if you can! That's it for now...

New to this thread and to the site, so I am sorry if you guys already know about this band, but if not check them out.

Tempel http://tempelofficial.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-steps-of-the-temple

They had 2 pressings of 250 which are sold out from both their bandcamp and prosthetic records, but there are some copies available on amazon and zia.

Looks like they are working on their follow-up which is supposed to drop sometime this summer.

Not bad...but a little too post-rocky/twinkly for my doom tastes. Welcome to the boards.

Happy birthday !

Here's something to drool over while you're having it. From Pirates Press

‘Swamp Green’ and ‘Orange Crush’ AsideBside with ‘Gold’ splatter that is completely out-of-control, a ‘Grimace Purple’ and ‘Oxblood’ Half-N-Half set with ‘Black Haze’ (not pictured), a ‘Milky Clear’ and ‘White’ AsideBside with ‘Red(ish)’ and ‘Grimace Purple’ splatter, or the ‘Gold’ and ‘Red(ish)’ AsideBside set of records. You might also notice that they silk screened the D side of the records which just sneaks through the other side on the transparent ones…

MER-031.jpg