The Beer Thread

just curious: for trades, do you ship alcohol via mail?

NEVER. fedex or UPS only. private, not federal. its illegal to ship alcohol via USPS (and across state lines without a license) but its only against fedex and ups policy to ship alcohol and they dont really mind as long as its packed well.

four  things to remember when packing beer 

1)pack so tight that nothing moves or shifts 

2) no bottles touching

3) tape all openings/corners well. one piece of tape across the bottle wont cut it. 

4) throw in some mac n cheese or something to mask the sound of liquid. if they ask, its olive oil or yeast samples. I usually tell them its glassware but packed well. i pack my boxes like tanks.

Late to the thread here. I'm based in London, UK and we've had an explosion of 'micro brewerys', within a square mile around my house there are something like 10 of them! There are so many different ones it's hard keeping up. Some of my favorites are Beavertown 'Gamma Ray' and Brick Brewery's 'Sir Thomas Gardyner' and 'Archway Steam'.

I'm really diggin de Garde lately. How easy is it to find in Portland?

I should just drive down there. Its only a five hour drive. Plus I can hit Cascade on the way home.

Haven't heard of this. I'll have to look out for it. If you want to swap some beers I'm in! Where are you located? Sorry I'm on mobile and can't see your location.

Whoa, that's awesome. How old is that plant? I tried to grow cascade and centennial this year. Both were pretty near death a month ago. Manure revived the centennial and it's now about 10-12'. I doubt it'll flower this year. Cascade looks bad, but we'll see if it tries again next year.

also, drank a lambic from 1957 tonight. super interesting stuff. It was oxidized but not overly so, and not aggressively sour. With the plum oxidation and fruity apricot sourness, it actually made me think of those weird little Pluot fruits. real tasty

11201568_880280462025334_371788098_n.jpg

Whoa, that's awesome. How old is that plant? I tried to grow cascade and centennial this year. Both were pretty near death a month ago. Manure revived the centennial and it's now about 10-12'. I doubt it'll flower this year. Cascade looks bad, but we'll see if it tries again next year.

I planted the rhizomes in May. I was shocked that I got any cones at all since it's the first year, but they blew up. Those are my Cascades, but the Centennials I have next to them are also to the top of the 18' line. They are nowhere close to the capacity of the Cascades, but they are starting to show a few flowers.

I'll see if I have a picture of the full trellis...