Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

So I listened to some more Doomina, and kind of pinpointed why it doesn't click with me.

First, I don't like the guitar and drum sounds. Perhaps if they had better gear or it was recorded better, I would be hooked more, but the guitar sounds like a not-great solid-state amp distortion and I just don't like the sound :\

2nd, the songwriting. They have some good riffs and ideas, but they don't build or go anywhere for me. Its just like "Okay, here's our riffs!!!" Lots of decent content, but no context. If they were better arrangers, it might make a world of difference.

"Gizmo" is the one track that ever did anything for me, the last 2-3 minutes were really good.

That's awesome that you guys are into it, but.... they're just not my bag.

That said, THIS album has been consistently blowing me away with their songwriting lately:

Very dream, energetic, well-written post-rock. These songs fucking kill it.

Also, listening to "Waking Season" on vinyl rules. That is all.

So any of you guys like Exxasens? Just finally checked their stuff out after seeing their name on Youtube all the time.

Got hooked by the track "Milk Stars" which is on a post-rock comp playlist someone uploaded that I play back regularly.

Listening to their "Polaris" album right now, and this is very much hitting the spot. I love how they use the double bass pedal in the drums to give things a quasi-metal vibe.

They're of the more energized half-metal post-rock, the way I conceptualize Sleepmakeswaves, Caspian, ITTCT, etc.

Can never get enough of this sound when done right!

Dang Gumbo this is getting spooky. I think I started a thread for Exxasens PO for his new album. His earlier work sounded very "space" to me like GIAA or parts of instrumental Rosetta with all the delay and reverb. I like Polaris a lot, got the CD from Jason's distro when Charlie so graciously traded Vasudeva Life in Cycles splatter for my black copy. (Thanks again AtE!!)

I remember listening to some of his rough takes from his home studio. He's come a long way. A UK friend gifted me Eleven Miles on vinyl, which was still in that same vein, but his new one is more gritty sounding now that he formed a touring band. Same direction pg.lost went but he doesn't quite achieve glory ;) I like it pretty well so far and it was cheap from Spain as a po - delayed delayed delayed. (Aloud Music, also pressed Atlas by Astralia, need their ST pressed) I haven't been talking it up because like Toundra Kitsune, it has some very good moments but no home runs. The wax does look awesome though, the Exxasens and Astralia - but I think Atlas is OOP or on 2nd press. Didn't buy Toundra on wax. Reviewer shared it with me and after > 5 listens I dumped it.

Found this tonight. Try to sample each track if there's too much to handle or not your taste in some. it hits hard and i know some of you dont like the yelling...(some are just instrumental) it def. has some post-rock elements. we should prob post post-metal in here too...maybe is the stressful work lately but i find it soothing. years ago id be skipping any cooking monster rock.

no vinyl but its NYP. not mind blowing, but its nice. 6 year old release.

argue-2_zpsdrpatdc5.jpg https://xaviforne.bandcamp.com/album/as-grey-as-they-said-2010 Carontte from Spain.

havent created an icon/logo yet but ill use this for those that have some yelling.

-----------------------------------

These fellas. they encompass a wailing guitar (my fav) and track two is my stunner.

https://ocoaiband.bandcamp.com/album/the-electric-hand

Ocoai from Tennessee

Found this tonight. Try to sample each track if there's too much to handle or not your taste in some. it hits hard and i know some of you dont like the yelling...(some are just instrumental) it def. has some post-rock elements. we should prob post post-metal in here too...maybe is the stressful work lately but i find it soothing. years ago id be skipping any cooking monster rock.

no vinyl but its NYP. not mind blowing, but its nice. 6 year old release.

argue-2_zpsdrpatdc5.jpg https://xaviforne.bandcamp.com/album/as-grey-as-they-said-2010 Carontte from Spain.

havent created an icon/logo yet but ill use this for those that have some yelling.

-----------------------------------

These fellas. they encompass a wailing guitar (my fav) and track two is my stunner.

https://ocoaiband.bandcamp.com/album/the-electric-hand

Ocoai from Tennessee

Ocoai is amazing. Think I posted them a while back. It's a shame they aren't together anymore.

anybody else getting tickets for the Maybeshewill gig?

I want to so bad.  But I just don't think I can make the trip.  It's 21+ which means my P.I.C. brother can't go, plus it's like a 10 hour drive for me.  And now I'm already making an NYC road trip for Adele!  Wooo!  Haha.  If I was rich and could just afford flights like it was nothing I'd probably find a way to go and then come right back.  

I kind of want that shirt on their pledge page.  It's badass.  

can we post^2 metal in here?

I want to talk about Rosetta but I have nowhere to do so :(

I say do it.  I know there are a handful of Rosetta fans here.  

Maybe I should change the thread name to "Post-VC:  Official post-genre discussion; now with vocals!"

Some of these instrumental bands are including vocals more and more anyways (Caspian, Wess Meets West, etc) and this can open up the VC darlings Athletics to get heavy discussion here as well.

I want to so bad.  But I just don't think I can make the trip.  It's 21+ which means my P.I.C. brother can't go, plus it's like a 10 hour drive for me.  And now I'm already making an NYC road trip for Adele!  Wooo!  Haha.  If I was rich and could just afford flights like it was nothing I'd probably find a way to go and then come right back.  

I kind of want that shirt on their pledge page.  It's badass.

This is your one shot, man.

I'll probably have an extra ticket with the signed poster, got 2 of those picked up today.

CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

In between growing out the mustache and sketching down Matt's Caspian ideas, I created this little banner that will represent my submissions. I have sub-genre stamps (to the left) that I'll put in place if one is more industrial or one is more traditional post-rocky. its going to get tweaked and redone a bit but i was wanting to test it tonight. thanks to some help on the image hyperlinking (T3 and deafening) it should work. just something new i guess. i just realized that that will totally void out the search function in this thread...meh, Gumbo never used it anyhow.

band_zpskuslwtft.jpg

First post in this thread I think for me. 

I don't think these guys have ever been mentionned in here. Winter Dust is "post-rock/emo/wtf band from Italy". They have released a few months ago their latest EP called Thresholds talking about the "foggy morning light". Enjoy.

https://winter-dust.bandcamp.com/album/thresholds

In between growing out the mustache and sketching down Matt's Caspian ideas, I created this little banner that will represent my submissions. I have sub-genre stamps (to the left) that I'll put in place if one is more industrial or one is more traditional post-rocky. its going to get tweaked and redone a bit but i was wanting to test it tonight. thanks to some help on the image hyperlinking (T3 and deafening) it should work. just something new i guess. i just realized that that will totally void out the search function in this thread...meh, Gumbo never used it anyhow.

band_zpskuslwtft.jpg

This thread is getting insanely legit.  Well done dude.

There should be year end thread awards, of which this thread should get all of them.  Except for the "most pointless drama thread" award.  Luckily this thread has stayed pure and void of the typical VC ridiculousness.  And for that this thread should win another award.

This thread is getting insanely legit.  Well done dude.

There should be year end thread awards, of which this thread should get all of them.  Except for the "most pointless drama thread" award.  Luckily this thread has stayed pure and void of the typical VC ridiculousness.  And for that this thread should win another award.

thanks man. one of my fav threads...even with Gumbo

band_zpskuslwtft.jpg

I have to admit, I'm impressed. That's a super clean looking design. If this thing takes off, no doubt this thread will reach new levels of (deserved) sophistication. Maybe different colors for post-rock, post-metal, modern classical, ambient, etc.? A little tag line for which user suggested it? Just throwing out ideas. Maybe we can finally get going on that first page to-do list.

• jhulud locked this topic