Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Sasan and I had discussed Sleeping In Gethsemane a couple years ago, but I guess never brought them up on this thread. Good call Kyle!

There's some good outdoor live footage on you tube iirc - pretty sure I made a playlist, but don't know if it's still on there.

And whoever suggested https://verticals.bandcamp.com/ Thank you! Lots of energy on that one, first pass through and ready to go again.

So I just got my Snowdon Lily copy of Shy, Low's "Hiraeth" album, and I need some help.

This record feels like it was packaged together at the beach, or in a desert. Right when I began pulling it out of the sleeve to look at, I knew something was up.

The record is absolutely covered in a fine grit of dust.

What's the best way to get rid of this? I have some liquid cleaning solution; but I'm worried this will just the grit into the grooves.

Never dealt with anything like this before; you can feel the grains when the record is slid back into it's paper sleeve. So weird.

So I just got my Snowdon Lily copy of Shy, Low's "Hiraeth" album, and I need some help.

This record feels like it was packaged together at the beach, or in a desert. Right when I began pulling it out of the sleeve to look at, I knew something was up.

The record is absolutely covered in a fine grit of dust.

What's the best way to get rid of this? I have some liquid cleaning solution; but I'm worried this will just the grit into the grooves.

Never dealt with anything like this before; you can feel the grains when the record is slid back into it's paper sleeve. So weird.

If that's the "haze" version -- it happens to 90% as it part of the production process, especially Pirates Press iirc. They are nice to collect, but I am convinced as soon as it is slid into the sleeve the first time, the damage is done. Pulling it out of the sleeve to clean -- more sandpaper effect -- even if you put it  on a vacuum style RCM-- the surface noise ain't going away.  Believe me I have tried on several albums at a record shop an hour away who agreed to clean them for me fresh out of the jacket.  Some people just use a dry brush and keep going over it meticulously but I don't know if they get all the micro-grit and worry about the stylus being damaged.

I have tried rinsing with copious RO (distilled water) and then using a sticky lint remover, one revolution at a time so as to pick up grit, but not rub it back over the grooves, clean the lint remover, etc. Surface noise.

I remember the first album I got like that: ITTCT AtEBtS, /100 Tour Press-- thought someone used it as a frisbee at the beach.  I was messaging Lexicondevil about stuff and the subject came up and he said he noticed the same thing -- so I started asking publicly risking the noobsauce, whatever.

What's a real bummer when the pressing before your album was hazed and some of the grit gets  onto your vinyl -- happened last year with one disc in each of RE's RM/RP versions of ISIS Oceanic.  And my US version of Rosetta's QE had one disc with grit, and those were both translucent/clear discs. 

So that's my very nontechnical understanding of the Haze. Look at the Haze. Frame the Haze. Support the band and go completist buying Haze. But for listening... avoid like the plague.

The label was a little wonky, lots of veins from not being applied flat, but clean and scratch free.

Got mine from Bull Moose if you're brave enough to try again.

Eh... maybe. I hate having 2 copies of an album, where one is scratched. What do you do with the scratched one? Toss it?

I have a Side A/B of Jakob's "Sines" that's scratched too. I don't know what to do with these things haha.

Anybody got some suggestions for my Shy, Low LP issue? That thing is sandy as all hell.

TMS needs to do a repress of Bos - Dogs. Seriously one of the best albums hardly anyone has heard.

Yup. I don't listen to mine as much as I should, but I also kind of like that "fuck; why don't I listen to this more often?" experience that comes with my dumb-struck, periodic listens. Easily my favorite BOS release.

TMS needs to do a repress of Bos - Dogs. Seriously one of the best albums hardly anyone has heard.

Just got into this album recently myself. I was hesitant to try out any of their back catalog because Leaves/Scars just never did it for me. But it's like a whole different band wrote Dogs and It is Curtains. A cut above, for sure, like you've said.

If that's the "haze" version -- it happens to 90% as it part of the production process, especially Pirates Press iirc. They are nice to collect, but I am convinced as soon as it is slid into the sleeve the first time, the damage is done. Pulling it out of the sleeve to clean -- more sandpaper effect -- even if you put it  on a vacuum style RCM-- the surface noise ain't going away.  Believe me I have tried on several albums at a record shop an hour away who agreed to clean them for me fresh out of the jacket.  Some people just use a dry brush and keep going over it meticulously but I don't know if they get all the micro-grit and worry about the stylus being damaged.

I have tried rinsing with copious RO (distilled water) and then using a sticky lint remover, one revolution at a time so as to pick up grit, but not rub it back over the grooves, clean the lint remover, etc. Surface noise.

I remember the first album I got like that: ITTCT AtEBtS, /100 Tour Press-- thought someone used it as a frisbee at the beach.  I was messaging Lexicondevil about stuff and the subject came up and he said he noticed the same thing -- so I started asking publicly risking the noobsauce, whatever.

What's a real bummer when the pressing before your album was hazed and some of the grit gets  onto your vinyl -- happened last year with one disc in each of RE's RM/RP versions of ISIS Oceanic.  And my US version of Rosetta's QE had one disc with grit, and those were both translucent/clear discs. 

So that's my very nontechnical understanding of the Haze. Look at the Haze. Frame the Haze. Support the band and go completist buying Haze. But for listening... avoid like the plague.

Shit.

Okay. Well... I guess I'll do my best with a non-abrasive cloth and my cleaning solution.

Maybe I'll trek down to the local store and have them use their VPI on it too just to see.

Lesson learned. Never buying haze again. This is unreal. You can literally feel the grains rolling over the record against the sleeve when you slide it in or out.

This has to be damaging, right?

Only on CD, but the previews are lovely.

https://boomkat.com/products/the-little-glass

Akira Rabelais - The Little Glass

This sounds like it'll be amazing for the winter weather over here.

are any of your preordering the tortoise reissues? I can't justify 2nd copies of the first 3, wish I wasn't broke so I could grab Standards though

http://www.thrilljockey.com/products/millions-now-living-will-never-die

best post-rock album right here ^

Everything but TNT for me. (And only because it's the sole album of theirs that I own.) Very excited. Millions Now Living is a favorite of mine, too.

You're in luck, Gumbo.  I'm launching a Youtube channel on how to care for haze variants specifically.  Early 2016; keep an eye out for Damn It's Sandy.

*Anxiously awaiting... It has be a better solution than my current, which is to bring them in the shower with me and scrub that nasty sand off with my shampoo. Has to be organic, so it does not risk damaging the record.

• jhulud locked this topic