Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I can't get any of my friends into post-rock, really. And I'm like "HOW DO YOU NOT FUCKING GUSH OVER THIS STUFF, FOR FUCK'S SAKE?!?"

Can't speak for everyone, but most of my friends who had similar tastes in high school just couldn't make the jump to the lack of the lyrics.  I've been told that post-rock (and all variations of it, including post-metal) is just a snooze-fest.  Or no more enticing than a soundtrack without a movie.  "No lyrics, no deal" was the mentality of many of my friends in our late-teens, unfortunately.  The few who I have managed to convert still listen to the genre today, and find great enjoyment in what it has to offer.  I get that it's not for everyone, but there's so much good stuff out there that gets combed right over because it doesn't have a chorus that's instantly recognizable and catered to sing along to.  Oh well.

Can't speak for everyone, but most of my friends who had similar tastes in high school just couldn't make the jump to the lack of the lyrics. I've been told that post-rock (and all variations of it, including post-metal) is just a snooze-fest. Or no more enticing than a soundtrack without a movie. "No lyrics, no deal" was the mentality of many of my friends in our late-teens, unfortunately. The few who I have managed to convert still listen to the genre today, and find great enjoyment in what it has to offer. I get that it's not for everyone, but there's so much good stuff out there that gets combed right over because it doesn't have a chorus that's instantly recognizable and catered to sing along to. Oh well.

I was going to respond directly to Gumbo, but you beat me to it and basically said everything I would've said.

I remember during that best album A to Z exercise we did last year that F#A# Infinity won the 'F' category and a couple users genuinely just couldn't seem to grasp that an album without vocals could win best music anything.

I was going to respond directly to Gumbo, but you beat me to it and basically said everything I would've said.

I remember during that best album A to Z exercise we did last year that F#A# Infinity won the 'F' category and a couple users genuinely just couldn't seem to grasp that an album without vocals could win best music anything.

fucking dumb

Yeah, I recall that as well.  It was pretty bad.

[edit]

Nostalgia got the best of me.  The madness starts here for anyone who's interested in reading a juicy VC debate.

I want this descriptiveness of albums you pass on. be interested to see what stirs up from the depths of gumbo.

haha i'll go back through that Doomina link then and see what happens.

Can't speak for everyone, but most of my friends who had similar tastes in high school just couldn't make the jump to the lack of the lyrics.  I've been told that post-rock (and all variations of it, including post-metal) is just a snooze-fest.  Or no more enticing than a soundtrack without a movie.  "No lyrics, no deal" was the mentality of many of my friends in our late-teens, unfortunately.  The few who I have managed to convert still listen to the genre today, and find great enjoyment in what it has to offer.  I get that it's not for everyone, but there's so much good stuff out there that gets combed right over because it doesn't have a chorus that's instantly recognizable and catered to sing along to.  Oh well.

Yeah that's what my one buddy says all the time, in addition to claiming that all post-rock sounds the same. This coming from a dude who likes death metal, which is probably the genre most often derided as sounding the same.

But yeah, the whole no vocals thing is what gets him, because there's nothing to focus on.

But to me, with post-rock, the INSTRUMENTS are THE VOICE. The MUSIC is speaking.

fucking dumb

Honestly, besides a few brilliant spots, that album really doesn't jive with me. Pretty much everything else they've done I fucking love, but that album... on the whole, I just can't get excited about yet. Its weird.

That band is SO FUCKING GOOD though.

Gumbo, YOU are THE VOICE of post rock.

Hahaha.

For real though, Gumbo's simply stated message is right on. The lack of vocals is the single best part of the genre. I appreiciate great instrumentation more than vocals (with some exceptions). Too many times good bands are hindered by vocalists I can't stomach. That's what really drew me into post-rock.

Gumbo, YOU are THE VOICE of post rock.

I mean, I think so, but...apparently not, because Caspian still isn't dropping 18-minute Sad Heart Of Mine's, or doing doing extended takes on Quovis -> Some Are White Light -> Further Up -> Loft -> Some Are White Light -> Further In -> Procellous, or Gone In Bloom and Bough -> The Raven -> Gone In Bloom and Bough.

Could you imagine? :::drools:::

I mean, I think so, but...apparently not, because Caspian still isn't dropping 18-minute Sad Heart Of Mine's, or doing doing extended takes on Quovis -> Some Are White Light -> Further Up -> Loft -> Some Are White Light -> Further In -> Procellous, or Gone In Bloom and Bough -> The Raven -> Gone In Bloom and Bough.

Matt? We need you again hahahaha.

Gumbo...my sweet Gumbo..

I love you dude, but don't fuck with the greatness that is Caspian.  :wub:

Matt? We need you again hahahaha.

giphy.gif

I loved the quarreling you guys had regarding extended Caspian jams / Phish / whatever, a while ago.

Dude, I'm still angry about that. Nothing grinds my gears more than BAD band comparisons, and to have done it with my favorite band and a band that has NOTHING to do with them. Oh, man, ... the anger. Haha.

YOU DO NOT FUCK WITH A CASPIAN SONG OR SET LIST. EVER.

The only right order is what Caspian decides. That is it. You don't mess with perfection.

18 minutes for Sad Heart? Why? That song is 4:27 long. Where the hell did you get another 14 minutes? Oh, I got ya, they are playing it 4 times in a row for some odd reason. Sorry, that's my bad.

Whoa. Whoa now. Why are we taking the intro track of You Are The Conductor to have it be the interlude to for the opening track of The Four Trees? That's sacrilege.

It has to be a mistake. I know you didn't just say you wanted them to play Further Up and then Loft. No. No no no. I can't think of a proper analogy for this because my head might explode. But then only later to have them play Further In? Oh geez. How many things can we have wrong going on here. And you want them all to be extended? You want to extend each part of essentially a three part song, and then break them up? No. Quovis > Further Up > Further In in their original length. That's it.

The Raven into Gone In Bloom And Bough?! You don't fuck with the Holy Trinity, man, you just don't. Maybe you don't know the beauty that is the Holy Trinity. I don't know why you wouldn't though. Only Caspian knows how to play any of three out of order and it make sense. Please, don't.

Lastly, that set list is completely wrong since you didn't make it 3 hours long. Oh, wait, never mind, I forgot you made all the songs 18 minutes.

There were honestly so many things wrong with that setlist that I had to go back and keep checking cause I couldn't believe the sins that were being committed. I did legitimately lose track, and had to go back. Each time I did I noticed a new "holy fuck" moment. It was like a waking nightmare.

Here is an example of a beautiful Caspian set list:

1. Waking Season

2. Arcs of Command

3. The Raven

4. The Heart That Fed

5. Gone In Bloom and Bough

6. ASA
7. Halls Of The Summer

8. Ghost Of The Garden City

9. Quovis

10. Further Up

11. Further In

12. Sycamore

Listen to it here: https://open.spotify.com/user/matt_photographs/playlist/7kqND8qg2g9dPLEsv7FlLa

(Disclaimer: It's only 1hr. 17m. as it is intended. And that's with the extended live version of Sycamore.)

Here is an example of a beautiful Caspian set list:

1. Waking Season

2. Arcs of Command

3. The Raven

4. The Heart That Fed

5. Gone In Bloom and Bough

6. ASA

7. Halls Of The Summer

8. Ghost Of The Garden City

9. Quovis

10. Further Up

11. Further In

12. Sycamore

My God, that setlist is NSFW.  So incredible.

I'd say throw in Fire Made Flesh after Ghosts for a main set closer, and then the "encore" can be the rest.  That would be my ONLY addition, only because FMF is probably top 3 Caspian song live for me.

• jhulud locked this topic