Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

On another note, Armageddon Shop on Discogs just threw up some great deals on some classic post-rock LP's. I was able to pick up Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (an album I've been casually hunting for a while) and Do Make Say Think - You, You're A History in Rust for $9.99 apiece. They've got & Yet & Yet up for $5.99.

I really need to complete my DMST discography. Only have Winter Hymn right now. Boo me.

I really need to complete my DMST discography. Only have Winter Hymn right now. Boo me.

I don't have any. "Rust" is my favorite of theirs, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to pick it up. They've got a sound that's hard to pin down. A lot of different elements being tossed into the mix. It's a hit or miss for me.

I don't have any. "Rust" is my favorite of theirs, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to pick it up. They've got a sound that's hard to pin down. A lot of different elements being tossed into the mix. It's a hit or miss for me.

Other Truths is my favorite. Just a balls to the wall album. I love their jazzy jam style of post-rock. Would kill to see them live someday.

My copy of Express Rising's Fixed Rope showed today. If you haven't checked it out yet you are fucking up.

I've basically been having a love affair with this record for the past week. So grateful it received a wide press with no limited variants to drive my OCD up the wall.

I cracked down and picked up their discography earlier this year. The bulk of it is super cheap, brand new. Too good.

I've got that entire discography. any specifics you're wanting? (dead horse) minus the test.

No, but thanks. I don't have the funds at the moment to start any collections, even though that would probably be one set I'd love to own. Just trying to buy a listening copy of all my favorites.

Speaking of which, if anyone's got a spare copy of Beware of Safety - Dogs they'd be up for selling, shoot a message my way.

No, but thanks. I don't have the funds at the moment to start any collections, even though that would probably be one set I'd love to own. Just trying to buy a listening copy of all my favorites.

Speaking of which, if anyone's got a spare copy of Beware of Safety - Dogs they'd be up for selling, shoot a message my way.

Wish I had a spare, but mine are long gone. Had BoS complete including TPs until Lotusville: 

http://revealedrecords.storenvy.com/collections/150469-post-rock/products/508045-beware-of-safety-dogs-2x-lp-vinyl

He has the tour press as well, which I paid more for than that. I think Forbsey got all 3 tour presses for $20 each when he met the band a couple years ago.

From the rules of engagement since this is ‘instrumental’, this is how I would introduce a neophyte to the vast postrock universe. These are not necessarily my favorites, but I think hall of fame worthy as a good representation of the genre. I would invert the order if the person leans more heavy in taste. I put EiTS in the middle to not scare someone away, though that is the only album my wife actually says she 'likes' when I play it.

1. Giants: Old Stories (light)

2. This Will Destroy You: Young Mountain (light)

3. Caspian: Tertia (light-medium)

4. If These Trees Could Talk: Above The Earth, Below The Sky (medium)

5. God Is An Astronaut: All Is Violent, All Is Bright (synth, space)

6. toe: For Long Tomorrow or The Mercury Program: All The Suits... (jazzy)

7. Yndi Halda: Enjoy Eternal Bliss (light, medium, intense and adding classical instruments)

8. Mono: Hymn To The Immortal Wind (virtually neoclassical)

9. Explosions In The Sky: The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (ultralight + "the postrock formula")

10. Mogwai: Come On Die Young (instrumental rock), some might argue Young Team and I could go along

11. Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Slow Riot To New Zero Kanada (samples and mixing rock and classical instruments)

12. Jakob: Solace  (atmospheric)

13. Russian Circles: Enter (light, medium, hard rock, metal)

14. Cloudkicker: Beacons (medium, hard rock, metal, math)

15. Year Of No Light: Ausserwelt (celestial metal, sludge)

Neglected Red Sparowes: Every Red Heart... because there is no nod to ISIS, which is sacrilege. Would sub out one for this if the person leans hard rock or metal

Hammock, Silent Whale Becomes A Dream, The Calm Blue Sea, etc. No Ambient on purpose, because I think Ambient is Ambient

Then, I would encourage listening to these mostly or entirely instrumental" tracks/albums:

ISIS:  "Weight" from Oceanic (then entire album and Panopticon)

Rosetta:  TMA-1 and Blue Day For Croatoa - their space, atmospheric sound is essential

Appleseed Cast: Sagarmatha, Middle States, LLO 1&2 

Moving Mountains: Foreword 

Youth Pictures Of Florence Henderson: Unnoticeable In A Tiny Town...

I would then defy page 1 and recommend listening to Sigur Ros ( ), AB or Takk - my gateway back into music 10 years ago. 

The final litmus test is can they listen to GY!BE LYSFLATH all the way through and still want more ;)

Leave my pet band rec's for the megathread:  TSMJ, TPSQ, PSOTY, etc etc.

moo.

I love this thread.

fine with me to keep the art talk here!

Decided to give the top 15 a go (didn't repeat bands):

01. Russian Circles - Station

02. Caspian - Tertia
03. Jakob - Solace 
04. This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
05. Long Distance Calling - Avoid the Light
06. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky
07. We Lost the Sea - Departure Songs
08. And So I Watch You From Afar - S/T
09. Pelican - Australasia
10. Silent Whale Becomes a Dream - Canopy
11. Cloudkicker - Fade
12. Toundra - II
13. Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
14. Year of No Light - Ausserwelt
15. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Honorable mentions:

Riding Pânico - Lady Cobra
Catacombe - Quidam
Oiseaux Tempete - Utopyia
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
pg. lost - Key
Kokomo - If Wolves
Tides From Nebula - Earthshine
Yndi Halda – Enjoy Eternal Bliss

Decided to give the top 15 a go (didn't repeat bands):

01. Russian Circles - Station

02. Caspian - Tertia
03. Jakob - Solace 
04. This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain
05. Long Distance Calling - Avoid the Light

06. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky

07. We Lost the Sea - Departure Songs
08. And So I Watch You From Afar - S/T
09. Pelican - Australasia
10. Silent Whale Becomes a Dream - Canopy
11. Cloudkicker - Fade
12. Toundra - II
13. Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind
14. Year of No Light - Ausserwelt
15. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

Honorable mentions:

Riding Pânico - Lady Cobra
Catacombe - Quidam
Oiseaux Tempete - Utopyia
Explosions In The Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place
pg. lost - Key
Kokomo - If Wolves
Tides From Nebula - Earthshine
Yndi Halda – Enjoy Eternal Bliss

I've been eyeing everyone's lists with approval, but this one is especially impressive. Props for even mentioning Oiseaux-Tempete. Still one of the only bands I know of that are not affiliated with GY!BE that can pull off that same sound (another one off the top of my head is Sparrows Swarm and Sing).

https://soundcloud.com/asseasexhaleofficial/vfolj/s-XEpnC

if anyone (hey Charlie ;)) is interested in checking out some new material I worked on today. two songs that flow together, they'll be split on the album.

Dude, you made this??? This is fucking sweet!!!

I want to know everything! The washy, ambient sounds at the beginning... are those volume swells from guitar with lots of delay?

Here’s mine (no order)

This Will Destroy You | Young Mountain (I spin Tunnel Blanket way more now but for nostalgia…)

Russian Circles | Geneva

Deadhorse | We Can Have Our Own World

Athletics | Who You Are Is Not Enough

Mono | Hymn To The Immortal Wind

The Shaking Sensations | Start Stop Worrying

Jacob | Solace (They’re coming to my city soon with those repress \o/)

Giants | Old Stories

Yndi Halda | Enjoy Eternal Bliss

Godspeed You! Black Emperor | LYSFLATH

*shels | Plains Of The Purple Buffalo

Beware Of Safety |It Is Curtains

If These Trees Could Talk | Red Forest

Toundra | (III)

Caspian | You Are The Conductor

I guess I forgot some and will hate myself later but that’s it for now!

Dude, you made this??? This is fucking sweet!!!

I want to know everything! The washy, ambient sounds at the beginning... are those volume swells from guitar with lots of delay?

yeah haha thanks. I posted a picture on the previous page of my current pedalboard setup but there's a little more to it. the sound at the beginning is in two parts. first part is a shitload of stacked effects; signal through timeline delay > bigsky reverb > nano holy grail reverb > corona chorus > arena reverb > flashback delay > line in to my pc. from there i throw it in fl studio and do amp modeling and the wash effect is another delay set to “clearer echoes” sandwiched between 2 more reverbs 100% wet signal with no dry. those last three effects are just to make sure there's as little pick attack as possible so its just an organic drone/wash, I use that a lot.

the second part is a copy of that recorded signal run through a free plugin from Tweakbench called Grumblebum that uses incoming audio to drive it's own synth, kinda like a modulating vocoder I guess? that signal is EQ'd to remove a lot of high end noise and more reverb added with no dry signal since it gets pretty distorted and i wanted it to sit back in the mix. if you wanna know what it sounds like without being dumbed down, look up “as seas exhale - southerly signals” on youtube, the beginning of that is the same effect but I left it as is because I liked the sound I'd found. the sound at the beginning of this is both of the aforementioned parts playing together.

sorry for the huge post but hey, you did say you wanted to know everything haha

Through 11 submitted lists...

Top Albums

1. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky (7)

2. Caspian - Tertia (6)

Jakob - Solace (6)

4. Giants - Old Stories (5)

5. This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain (4)

Caspian - You Are the Conductor (4)

Jakob - Sines (4)

8. Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place (3)

This Will Destroy You - S/T (3)

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (3)

Moving Mountains -  Foreword  (3)

Pg.Lost -  Key  (3)

Beware Of Safety -  Dogs  (3)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor -  Lift Your Skinny Fists...  (3)

Daturah -  Reverie  (3)

Shy, Low -  Hirae th  (3)

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (3)

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright (3)

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (3)

Pelican - Australasia (3)

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt (3)

Top Artists

1. Caspian (14)

2. Jakob (11)

3. This Will Destroy You (9)

If These Trees Could Talk (9)

5. Russian Circles (7)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (3)

7. Giants (6)

8. Explosions in the Sky (5)

Pg.Lost (5)

Beware of Safety (5)

I have a suggestion for how to solve the dilemma that's arisen considering we're only doing one album per artist. Why don't we do the top album from each of the top 10 artists, then the remaining top 5 albums not from the top 10 artists. So, doing in that way, the list would look like this thus far:

Caspian - Tertia

Jakob - Solace

This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain

If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth, Below the Sky

Russian Circles - Geneva

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists...

Giants - Old Stories

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place

Pg.Lost - Key

Beware of Safety - Dogs

Then we'd need another voting round to pick 5 albums from the following 9:

Daturah - Reverie

Shy, Low - Hiraeth

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

Pelican - Australasia

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World

Moving Mountains - Foreword

Of course, this is without a list from both Matt and Derek. There's also a possibility of a better option in how to do this, in which case somebody suggest it and we'll see how it works. Sorry for the long post.

• jhulud locked this topic