Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I kind of keep to myself on here but linger a bunch because I respect y'all and like to find new stuff. Will post my 15 albums for the hell of it. I think I come from a bit heavier background. Pelican was my gateway band over 10 years ago. Damn time flies. Not going to try to keep the list to one album per band. Tried to pick some older records and some newer ones.

Pelican - Australiasia

Pelican - Forever Becoming

Russian Circles - Enter

Russian Circles - Empros

Toundra - I

Glaciers - And the Sea Won the Battle

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt

Shy, Low - Hiraeth

ITTCT - Above the Earth, Below the Sky

Caspian - Dust and Disquiet

Audrey Fall - Mitau

Cloudkicker - Fade

Jakob - Sines

Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Red Sun

*Shels - Plains of the Purple Buffalo

We have at least 5 in common.

Here are mine in no particular order and just what I can think of off the top of my head. A lot of newer stuff surprisingly.

Beware of Safety - Leaves/Scars

Catacombe - Quidam

Caspian - Tertia

Giants - Old Stories

Gifts from Enola - S/T

ITTCT - Above the Earth, Below the Sky

Jakob - Sines

Of Sinking Ships - The Amaranthine Sea

Pg. Lost - Key

Sleepmakeswaves - Love of Cartography

Tides of Man - Young and Courageous

Vasudeva - Life In Cycles

I'd say we're probably at about the halfway mark in terms of submissions, maybe a little past it. Here's where we sit:

Albums

1. If These Trees Could Talk - Above the Earth Below the Sky (5)

2. Jakob - Sines (4)

Caspian - Tertia (4)

4. This Will Destroy You - S/T (3)

Caspian - You Are the Conductor (3)

Jakob - Solace (3)

Moving Mountains - Foreword (3)

Pg.Lost - Key (3)

Beware of Safety - Dogs (3)

Shy, Low - Hiraeth (3)

Daturah - Reverie (3)

Giants - Old Stories (3)

Artists

1. Caspian (11)

2. Jakob (8)

3. This Will Destroy You (6)

If These Trees Could Talk (6)

5. Pg.Lost (5)

6. Explosions in the Sky (4)

Russian Circles (4)

Beware of Safety (4)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (4)

Giants (4

i have MONO on mine. dont you worry

Epson_12202015205518_zpsfwkg5beq.png

Nice, glad to see someone else feels as strongly about I/O and that album as I do!

On another note, I got an email from Fluttery Records about this new artist, Edo Ghost. It's this Japanese-British solo dude project, and the EP track "Yurei" that was just released.

This thing is pretty fucking great, and spans a wide gamut of post-rock characteristics.

You can listen to it for free here, I highly suggest doing so. Very fresh and creative. Its kind of like apocalyptic post-rock, sort of?

http://www.flutteryrecords.com/flttry094

I welcome you

please, have a seat. I added a cover to my IG of a potential guide look.

Super into it. You're nailing this really specific aesthetic of monochrome with a little bit of coral/salmon and abstract geometric shapes combined with organic ones that's really doing it for me haha, I love all of that stuff a ton.

Also if you don't mind a bit of critique on the banner, we have a lot of real estate in posts to utilize and I feel like at the current size it's wasting a ton of it. It doesn't necessarily have to fill the whole space, maybe something more like the blue box I doodled here. If a band is worth mentioning here, the banner doing it deserves to be a little bit bigger in my opinion.

6TTxEWr.png

Are we trying to not have repeat artists on this list?

I think that was the implicit understanding, even though there have been a few violations. Not a big deal if you can't narrow it down. I'd rather have two albums by the same artist you love than an album on the list you honestly could do without.

Also an unrefined idea I had for the rating system if you're into it Charlie. You can take it or leave it, I'm just doodling around in photoshop lol. I had the idea of having the rating system be a turntable and having the rings go inward instead of outward. Makes sense to me, the more you like an album the further into playing it you'd get. Also I wanted to fill the unused space in the left corners of the chevron, the space looked unbalanced and it was irking me.  :)

uJ4qYmV.gif

yeah, i had shrunk the banner so it wasnt to big but i agree..it needs to be bigger.

also, i ditched the arrow element, it was too much, youre suggestion is pretty rad. im sure we can do something with that. really love the progression as the ratings get higher. cool idea man.

i ended up just making the end the rating system. youll see in the next band.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-21%20at%202.37.3

is everyone cool with us making edits in this thread or are you annoyed? let us know we can start a small PM train to avoid.

i ended up just making the end the rating system. youll see in the next band.

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-21%20at%202.37.3

is everyone cool with us making edits in this thread or are you annoyed? let us know we can start a small PM train to avoid.

I'm into the minimal look for this too, either way. Also yeah, if we're cluttering the thread too much I'm cool with taking the conversation elsewhere, no need for this to become an amalgam of post rock and the design thread haha.

I think that was the implicit understanding, even though there have been a few violations. Not a big deal if you can't narrow it down. I'd rather have two albums by the same artist you love than an album on the list you honestly could do without.

I hear ya. I'm going to try to make my list tonight.

On another note, Armageddon Shop on Discogs just threw up some great deals on some classic post-rock LP's. I was able to pick up Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (an album I've been casually hunting for a while) and Do Make Say Think - You, You're A History in Rust for $9.99 apiece. They've got & Yet & Yet up for $5.99.

• jhulud locked this topic