Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues - Jan. 21st

This doesn't have anything to do with this album, but I just got a copy of Reinventing Axl Rose from SRC and it's like... a pea green color with maybe some white mixed in?  I'm not really sure.

Anyone know the info on this?  There's so many damn pressings of this thing

Probably this:

40th Pressing: 150 Green Mix, 450 Purple Mix (10/5/2013)

https://www.noidearecords.com/discography.php

Haha, what a joke.

It wouldn't make a difference though, the recordings are of such poor quality, it would sound the same if they were lossless files or sub-128 mp3s.

Seriously, now that the excitement in me for the new songs has died down a bit, while they are still awesome songs, I hate how bad they sound. The growing indifference about sound quality across the industry is really starting to tick me off.

You're making these statements based on the vinyl or via streaming MP3s?

I think this record sounds great, it's punchy and warm. AM! is damned if they do and damned if they don't (look at all the hate towards New Wave/White Crosses for sounding to polished and over-produced). In fact this sounds a lot cleaner then most modern 'punk' albums, or recent releases from bands that fall in AM!'s peer group.

This is a great album that sounds fantastic on vinyl. A++ will do business with again.

At first, I thought the album sounded kinda weird. Tinny in some spots, muddy mid-bass in others, etc.
I was listening to the streams that were floating around on the web. I ripped one of the streams (NME?) and put it on my iPod to listen to in my car as it was the best quality stream I had heard.

I have a pretty decent system in my car, but it still didn't sound too hot. I downloaded a web rip (320kbps) from what.cd and put that on my iPod instead and it sounds WAY better. Not tinny, not muddy, the bass is actually audible, etc. It's actually a really great sounding record. I read that Laura said she wanted it to sound like "the New York Dolls and the Sex Pistols" and that's a pretty dead on comparison. It's just a very lean, guitar driven rock album.

TL;DR: Stop listening to low bitrate streams on your laptop.

You're making these statements based on the vinyl or via streaming MP3s?

I think this record sounds great, it's punchy and warm. AM! is damned if they do and damned if they don't (look at all the hate towards New Wave/White Crosses for sounding to polished and over-produced). In fact this sounds a lot cleaner then most modern 'punk' albums, or recent releases from bands that fall in AM!'s peer group.

This is a great album that sounds fantastic on vinyl. A++ will do business with again.

From what you're saying it's quite obvious that you don't really know the difference between production value and resolution/dynamic range/compression. The terms "polished" and "over-produced" have almost nothing to do with sound quality, but rather post-processing. "Polishing" a vocal track might remove the tonal anomalies, volume imbalance, reduce noise, remove unwanted artifacts and correct the pitch, but it will not increase resolution and dynamic range. In fact, it decreases them. The more post-processing is used, the "lower quality" recording you'll receive in the end simply due to how post-processing works. So you can have good and bad sounding "polished" recordings and good and bad sounding "raw" recordings. Again, rawness and sound quality are not exclusive.

Granted, I only listened to my copy on vinyl and the low-bitrate download that came with it, but this release is sub-par. It's possible that the CD version will sound better, but I won't keep my hopes up. The thing is, while a low-bitrate mp3 file is very limiting, even a 128kbps version of a good recording can easily sound better than a lossless version of a bad recording.

Take the second song, True Trans Soul Rebel for example. The vocal track is so overcompressed, it sounds like I'm listening to it playing on my phone. Heck, it sounds like they recorded it with a phone. The drum track has so little dynamic range it's practically insulting. Now, I'd search for a fault in my system first, if such recordings weren't a common practice these days.

Overall, this is a great album that sounds pretty bad (far from the worst I have, but still disappointing) on vinyl, C- will strongly consider doing business with again, first have to hear the CD version if that thing is any better and they just messed up the mastering for the vinyl release.

This doesn't have anything to do with this album (or the label that pressed it), but I assume the people who visit this thread have dealt with Fat Wreck Chords before.  Do they usually send out shipping notification emails when they ship things?  I've never dealt with them before and just recently I ordered "Searching For A Former Clarity."  I haven't heard anything from them yet and it's been over a week.  I've even emailed them and asked and they never got back to me.

I got my black copy today and it came with a poster of the album art (a link to my picture of it http://31.media.tumblr.com/e36c400810aa18dc8ca20b687a1a1bf7/tumblr_n0fyqujEf61s112s4o1_400.jpg p.s sorry for the messy surroundings, big mail day for music.) Also today I ordered a colour copy from juno records which was about 30 dollars since they're the cheapest place to buy U.K pressings. I'll tell you guys if its normal blue or the white and blue when I get it.

I got my black copy today and it came with a poster of the album art (a link to my picture of it http://31.media.tumblr.com/e36c400810aa18dc8ca20b687a1a1bf7/tumblr_n0fyqujEf61s112s4o1_400.jpg p.s sorry for the messy surroundings, big mail day for music.) Also today I ordered a colour copy from juno records which was about 30 dollars since they're the cheapest place to buy U.K pressings. I'll tell you guys if its normal blue or the white and blue when I get it.

Got that poster as well with the album at the concert.