PO- Ty Segall- Gemini

I generally agree to the idea that if a label hypes up a specific release as a special. limited run (only being sold for this amount of time only at this online retailer, making sure to remind buyers at time of purchase that it's 'ultra-limited' and there's 'not enough to go around' etc), going back on that is kind of shitty. I know that people's immediate response to that is basically 'Boo hoo more people get the record what a tragedy,' but unfortunately that is completely missing the point.

Someone was online at that specific time in that specific place purchasing this product, with the expectation that there would not be many. It's limited-ness was a quality and a selling point. Nobody cares if more people get to hear record, that's all fine and good. Literally nobody cares. So you can quit bringing that argument out. The problem here is that a product was sold on premises that were later taken back. 'Ultra-limited' was an extra incentive to buy it, and suddenly that is not true. That is kinda shitty. If it was printed on a special color or had some other quality to the first pressing, this wouldn't be an issue to anybody, but now that the label is going to sell more of these 'ultra-limited' things, it brings selling strategies to question.

Do I care if more people get the record? No, no, no. Do I care if Drag City makes more money? No. Am I a flipping sympathizer? No. Do I care that I was sold something based on false premises? Yes, that sucks.

Yea, sure buddy, you show sured us to never have an opinion. Lesson learned  ;)

I don't think he was necessarily looking to learn you a lesson.  I think, as you just said, that he was voicing his opinion.  And his opinion happens to be that there's a ton of whining and crybaby bullshit in this thread.  And honestly? - he's not wrong.  Anyone who feels "cheated" by a label that steps up to make a limited release more accessible... needs to reevaluate why they're buying vinyl to begin with.  While I agree that it's a little sketchy for a label to insist that a press will be super limited - when they know damn well that it won't be - I can't see too many downsides.  More people will have the opportunity to enjoy more good music.  What's wrong with that?

The folks getting bent out of shape are probably the same entitled, snot-nosed brats who flaunted their holographic Pokemon cards in middle school.  People are allowed to enjoy and own the same materialistic things that you do.  Get the hell over it.  Chastising the label changes nothing; if you're truly distraught that they'd keep a record in press (and meet an obvious demand), don't support them.  Clearly plenty of other people will.

This is just, like, my opinion... man.

I don't think he was necessarily looking to learn you a lesson.  I think, as you just said, that he was voicing his opinion.  And his opinion happens to be that there's a ton of whining and crybaby bullshit in this thread.  And honestly? - he's not wrong.  Anyone who feels "cheated" by a label that steps up to make a limited release more accessible... needs to reevaluate why they're buying vinyl to begin with.  While I agree that it's a little sketchy for a label to insist that a press will be super limited - when they know damn well that it won't be - I can't see too many downsides.  More people will have the opportunity to enjoy more good music.  What's wrong with that?

The folks getting bent out of shape are probably the same entitled, snot-nosed brats who flaunted their holographic Pokemon cards in middle school.  People are allowed to enjoy and own the same materialistic things that you do.  Get the hell over it.  Chastising the label changes nothing; if you're truly distraught that they'd keep a record in press (and meet an obvious demand), don't support them.  Clearly plenty of other people will.

This is just, like, my opinion... man.

I'm not even going to read this, just want to let you know I'm having fun with Jared as I'm sure he's just having fun too

I'm not even going to read this, just want to let you know I'm having fun with Jared as I'm sure he's just having fun too

Even though that post was tl;dr for you, let it be known that it wasn't directed at you specifically.  It was more for anyone throwing a fit over a decrease in the record's rarity.

I also want to clarify that I have no horse in this race.  I didn't pre-order; I didn't miss the pre-order.  I won't be ordering.  Hell, I don't even listen to Ty Segall, personally.  But I still felt obliged to weigh in.

This was abundant in my local stores today

Not trying to stir anything up here, but this would lead me to believe that they intended for this to be an "unlimited" release to begin with. It is highly unlikely that they would have been able to order a significant amount more of these and then get them out to stores following the fairly recent announcement that this was going to be a wider release than originally stated.

Not trying to stir anything up here, but this would lead me to believe that they intended for this to be an "unlimited" release to begin with. It is highly unlikely that they would have been able to order a significant amount more of these and then get them out to stores following the fairly recent announcement that this was going to be a wider release than originally stated.

Yup, I agree. As far as I can tell, record stores everywhere are flush with them.

Eh, I personally don't care if it was limited or unlimited from the get-go; I was going to buy it, and more than likely pay about $18. Sucks that it's true, but that seems like it's becoming the going rate for a single LP.

If it was always supposed to be unlimited (and was subsequently intentionally misrepresented), it is kinda lame solely because I coulda tossed that $18 at the shop down the street.

Either way, the dudes at Drag City aren't evil monsters, so even if the $18 didn't stay in Durham this time, it's not like I gave it to the westboro baptist church in exchange for the album.

If it was always supposed to be unlimited (and was subsequently intentionally misrepresented), it is kinda lame solely because I coulda tossed that $18 at the shop down the street.

Yeah, really.  This is the biggest gripe I can consider, with the whole "surprise! -- this is actually unlimited approach that they took.  Not the plummeting flipability, nor the decreasing spike in rarity... but the fact that a ton of sales were stolen from local record shops.  Pretty dumb.

Got the album in the mail yesterday.

I think it's pretty rad.

Oh, you have it too? Awesome! We can listen to it separately and then talk about it together!

Also, I don't think I've ever ordered anything from Drag City and not have the shipping email arrive before I've ever recieved the record.

Yeah, really.  This is the biggest gripe I can consider, with the whole "surprise! -- this is actually unlimited approach that they took.  Not the plummeting flipability, nor the decreasing spike on rarity... but the fact that a ton of sales were stolen from local record shops.  Pretty dumb.

A big +1.

Over here record shops have been an ever decreasing entity so I always use my local independent when I can, the booming sales in vinyl have helped the independents a lot but it wasn't that long ago the the biggest one in central London was looking a little shaky.

As far as the flipability goes, I can understand why anyone who paid over the odds or got in early is miffed but that's supply and demand and if I pay over the odds for something then that's my problem I still have it, or if I get something that is not as limited as it's supposed to be at least I have it. I missed this one completely so am happy I should be able to pick one up.

It doesn't happen often but I bet we all get suckered in this way every now and then when the desire verses rarity equation wades in.

Back in the day a limited record was limited to how many the label could shift so the very low numbers of a lot of pressings now are very limited indeed considering the size of the record buying market worldwide.

Guest deleted

Just got this in the mail from when I purchased when I thought I had to because it was supposedly crazy limited.

Would've liked to support my local shop but instead i got a banged up copy from overseas that cost almost $40.

Curses.

Just got this in the mail from when I purchased when I thought I had to because it was supposedly crazy limited.

Would've liked to support my local shop but instead i got a banged up copy from overseas that cost almost $40.

Curses.

Banged Up And False Advertisement. 

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/general/PPDisputeResolution-outside