I actually still need to meet Oscar in person. We flit around in all the same threads, end up going to all the same concerts in our area, and were in line together at Fingerprints for RSD a year or two ago and somehow still haven't actually met each other.

Your time will come soon enough.

Holy shit. Just typed in "Brand New Observatory" and there are around 70-80 posts of people that have postings listed as "Wanted- By Owner" meaning these are people just posting to try to find and get someone to sell them tickets. Some offering $300.

Crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I love the band. But is all this hype really warranted?

Well some people are actually paying for the tickets marked up 10x original value so that doesn't help.  These scalpers will raise the prices until they stop getting offers..

I think also its some reverse psychology involved with this band and the crazy that surrounds them. They're not as easily accesible as...well, any other current band out there. They don't go on major tours, there two,well now, one, most popular album is not easy to come by unless you want to pay...etc etc. Since they're so limited I think people want them more. I may be guilty of it too, I mean, $200 wtf.

I only recently noticed all this hype surrounding them. Can't explain that. A few years ago when they played in CA none of this happened.

Its the strangest thing. I bring this band up to friends I haven't seen in a while (because friends I see all the time know about this band because I talk about them) and fish around random coworkers who have separate lives from me socially just to see if there's any bites. I bring up the ridiculous record prices or the upcoming shows and their $400 price tags and to them they don't know Brand New and to them it doesn't make any sense. So only one or two out of dozens & dozens have faint recognition of the band. Mostly people have no clue who they are.

Which to me means:

(1) There is an almost cult like following, or

(2) The people that make a living off of flipping stuff really have a stranglehold on this band and its merch.

I am going to guess the show is gonna be great. But the Brand New superfans who spend the ridiculous amounts to go to the show are going to be even more fun to interact with in the pit. I never would have guessed this shows potential.

Crazy fuckin' rock shows mang. Too bad you can't find out about this shit in that pussy Rolling Stone poseur mag!

I saw them near Albany on 9/19 and the fans were actually the worst part.  Every single fucking person had their goddamn phone out taking pictures and videos and it seriously ruins the experience.

Normally I'd agree with you, but that particular show they came on an hour late because they ordered food. That beat out crappy fans for me. 

I saw them near Albany on 9/19 and the fans were actually the worst part.  Every single fucking person had their goddamn phone out taking pictures and videos and it seriously ruins the experience.

You know what, the last Blink concert I went to a couple weeks ago was unfortunately like that too. Lots of phones in the way, and not a lot of people singing along, almost no moshing, and people were getting pissed at crowd surfers and people pushing to get closer. Didn't make any sense to me, as almost every big show I've gone to and been in the pit, pushing and crowd surfing was standard.

The show itself was great, but it probably had one of the more pussified crowds I've seen at a concert in a while. It would be too bad if the show for Brand New was the same way.

Someone commented another time about people singing in the crowd ruining the Brand New show they went to, but I actually kinda like that stuff. Much more than a bunch of hipsters just holding up their phones the whole time. It means the people are actually fans and know the songs and aren't just showing up because they heard it was a popular sold out show.

I think the singing really depends.  If its a loud part sing the fuck along.  If it's a quiet, meaningful part, and just vocals, shut the fuck up and let the singer do his thing.  Cause that's when the singing really gets in the way.

if i wanted to watch the show through a camera i'd go on youtube.

Yeah I don't mind most singing along either, but I saw Hellogoodbye/Metric/Paramore last month and it was the same way with the phones.

In fact, most people on the floor level with us were actually watching through their phones, not just recording. We weren't allowed to mosh (due to the venue regulations) but I got the feeling that most people around us would have been pissed if we did. They were definitely not used to being so up close and personal already.

I get extremely annoyed at the Brand New "fans" on tumblr enough as it is....I'll need a huge dose of patience during the show I can already tell.

Yeah I don't mind most singing along either, but I saw Hellogoodbye/Metric/Paramore last month and it was the same way with the phones.

In fact, most people on the floor level with us were actually watching through their phones, not just recording. We weren't allowed to mosh (due to the venue regulations) but I got the feeling that most people around us would have been pissed if we did. They were definitely not used to being so up close and personal already.

I get extremely annoyed at the Brand New "fans" on tumblr enough as it is....I'll need a huge dose of patience during the show I can already tell.

That happened the other night when I saw Manchester Orchestra. I was up near the front and this girl behind me not only watched through her phone, but blocked my face with her phone (she was behind me). What is the point? So stupid. 

And also, anyone who takes selfies at the barricade facing away from the stage to snapchat to their friends while a band is playing is lame. 

At a recent city and colour show in LA, Dallas asked everyone to put their phones away just for one song and to enjoy being at the concert and in the moment and this one dude near the front just pulled his huge ass phone out and recorded the whole thing with it held up high. I miss the good old days where people formed camaraderies at shows and enjoyed being there instead of trying to preserve every moment that they won't even watch/view later.

The thing is I don't mind if people wanna pull out their phone and take "a couple pictures" of the band members or the set or whatever. I mean, I understand, even I do that when I get up close. When I flip through my pictures later I'm glad I did, it makes it easy to remember the shows I went to and where I saw them.

But to have the thing out to "record songs via video" that are going to sound like shit anyway while they hold the camera in the way of my view for 20 minutes straight, I mean that's just stupid and unnecessary. I was seriously tempted a few times to quickly grab the phone out of their hand and throw it further into the pit LOL. Their face would have been priceless.

Also, in reference to the crowd singing, the last couple Thrice shows I went to after they announced their "farewell" the crowds were amazing. There were times where it felt like the entire crowd was singing along and it was awesome. People knew when parts were coming up in the songs, it really felt like we were one with the band on stage. That kind of stuff I love at shows.

I used to take video at shows when I first started going to them. I can tell you I've never watched a single one, and since high school have stopped because it completely defeats the point of going to a live show.

I really enjoy when everyone sings along, but people are often dicks and shout random stuff at inappropriate times. Wow, such badass. Its cool when everyone is into though.

I am still incredibly excited to see Brand New for the first time. I just hope I'm not being scammed like some people have been.

Blowjobs for tix, fake tickets, scalpers, will call only, posting people phone numbers....SCANDAL.

Anyways, how many of you have been to a BN show before that are also going to these? I'm interested to see how it will compare.

I saw them way back during the time between Deja and Devil and the crowd was subdued, but Brand New was an opener. Then I saw them again during the Daisy tour, where they played at my University. Tickets were $5 and it was awesome. The crowd took a few songs to get going but there was barely any phones and lots of moshing. 

These crowds are going to suck though.

just got this email which confirms what someone said about will call earlier.

photo_zps0039133f.png

i've seen brand new once before, when they toured with thrice.  it was a great show.  i haven't been able to see them since.  i think they might've come to southern CA one or 2 more times since then and either i found out too late about it or timing just wasn't right.  i'm going to both nights.