Clear vs Translucent

Probably a silly question, but can these two words be used interchangeably when describing a record?

If not, what is the difference?

More/less yes. The only time I'd say it wouldn't work would be if the record is straight up clear. Not say.. clear blue, clear green, etc. You wouldn't call that plain old translucent, would ya?

Technically speaking transparent means clear and translucent means you can see through it somewhat (talking dictionary definitions here)... when it comes to vinyl variants I would say that transparent would more aptly describe what I refer to as 'ultraclear' and transluscent would be the standard clear.

When it somes to coloured vinyl I usually say trans blue, trans red. I think these should technically be considered transluscent colours since the colouring will at least somewhat hinder the ability to see through it completely, it's not window-clear like the ultraclear vinyl... but I think for the most part labels refer to clear colour variant as 'transparent blue, red, green, etc.' so yeah I usually just abbreviate colours as trans. -whatever

hope that helps 'clear' up the terminology.

oh yeah and then there are colours like clear dark purples that look almost black until they are held up to the light... those should definitely be referred to as translucent by definition of the word and not transparent.

Technically speaking transparent means clear and translucent means you can see through it somewhat (talking dictionary definitions here)... when it comes to vinyl variants I would say that transparent would more aptly describe what I refer to as 'ultraclear' and transluscent would be the standard clear.

When it somes to coloured vinyl I usually say trans blue, trans red. I think these should technically be considered transluscent colours since the colouring will at least somewhat hinder the ability to see through it completely, it's not window-clear like the ultraclear vinyl... but I think for the most part labels refer to clear colour variant as 'transparent blue, red, green, etc.' so yeah I usually just abbreviate colours as trans. -whatever

hope that helps 'clear' up the terminology.

oh yeah and then there are colours like clear dark purples that look almost black until they are held up to the light... those should definitely be referred to as translucent by definition of the word and not transparent.

yeah that helps alot.  I'm kinda ocd about certain things...and since starting to list my collection, I've found that using both "clear" and "transparent" is driving me mad since I've seen both words used to describe the same record.

I hear that, and with all the variants and die-hard collectors it definitely helps to be as 'clear' as possible when describing a record.

So I would say for clears... transparent best describes what I call ultraclear and translucent is just the normal clear.

And for colours, I would say if you have to hold a record up to the light to see through it, it is translucent, by definition... common with dark purples so translucent purple. And if you don't have to hold it up to the light to see through it, I think it would be fair to say transparent red, blue, green, purple whatever. but I often shorten it to just 'trans' -red, -blue, -green, etc. like for colours it can kinda go either way, you could consider it either one I guess... but maybe if we establish that translucents have to be held up to the light that nomenclature will catch on.

Yeah super clear records are dope. The regular somewhat clear has been done to death though.

The only ultraclear I own is the VYGR Hypersleep 2xLP, and I agree, it looks like clear ice or glass. This variant also it has some gold goop in the middle. Definetly one of the cooler looking records I own.

260422_large.JPG

(not my photo)

I don't remember the conclusion, but there are two distinct coke bottle colors, blue and green ;)

Zero argument there.  Most labels and descriptions specify "coke bottle blue" or "coke bottle green", but I have seen a few "coke bottle clear"s in my day.  (All of those have turned out to be of the blue variety, though.)

I had the same problem when creating a googledoc from my deadformat.

I realized I had been using a combination of clear and transparent on DF.

In the switch I ended up just going with "Translucent" instead.

This guy.  This guy gets it.

Not everything has to be Bummertown around here. Random jibber-jabber record color conversation ITT, it's nothing offensive. If it's not your deal then I'd kindly ask you to not include yourself in the conversation. No harm no foul.

It appears that I've missed the part where I instigated anything in this thread, or implied that I condone random vinyl jibber-jabber.

And it would also appear that you missed the part where I genuinely participated in the conversation at hand.

Carry on.