IKEA'S EXPEDIT SOON TO BE OOP

Two spray cans should do the trick.  Also I read an article that the Kallak does fit up to 12" records

haha. luckily those won't be the only colors (which is good since spraypainting things in a brooklyn apartment might be a tad bit tricky...)

unconfirmed info i found on a random german site that sells shit to customize expedits (and now, the kallax):

new IKEA Kallax Regal comes in the following sizes:

• 77 x 77 cm
  • 77 x 147 cm
  • 147 x 147 cm
  • 42 x 147 cm

IKEA Kallax should be available in the following colors

• white
  • black brown
  • birch effect
  • light pink
  • lime
  • hochglanzrot
  • high gloss turquoise

Yo, pastels are the bomb. Have you seen my hair? 

Regardless, I still don't have the space to fit one of those mint green babies in my room. #thestruggle

can't wait till expedit's go on discount - but that mint kallax looks like fun

Those pastel Kallax will look great in my Miami Vice themed room.

Duuude been seriously digging the Miami Vice color scheme since all of last year for some reason random reason

ok ok, so apparently i'm alone in the anti-pastel party. maybe it's just too many spent working at a parenting website...i see those and immediately think "nursery"...

That 1cm difference I think will cause some issues.

The wood on the outer edges on expedits are 5cms thick. So they're taking away 1/5th of its structural integrity. Which isn't exactly amazing right now. I can understand why they wouldn't make the 5x5. I'm sure they've done extensive testing, including loading up a pre-production of a 5x5 kallax full of records.

The larger the number of cubes, the thicker and sturdier the frame has to be. *zayzay* simple

The updated photo looks okay.

I only use the 2x2 units so I'm not super concerned with the structural differences here.

Just kind of bummed they won't make my current set up.

Here is why Ikea is discontinuing vinyl collectors favorite shelf.  

Just imagine, they use 1% of the worlds wood supply and cutting just a millimeter on the width of the shelf will save massive costs.   

http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312

Update: Ikea has released images of Kallax, and it looks pretty damn nice. The company also comments that the surface will be more scratch-resistant and more child-friendly, thanks to a slight corner bevel. Crucially, Kallax is described as "a new name" for Expedit.

Here is why Ikea is discontinuing vinyl collectors favorite shelf.  

Just imagine, they use 1% of the worlds wood supply and cutting just a millimeter on the width of the shelf will save massive costs.   

http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312

Update: Ikea has released images of Kallax, and it looks pretty damn nice. The company also comments that the surface will be more scratch-resistant and more child-friendly, thanks to a slight corner bevel. Crucially, Kallax is described as "a new name" for Expedit.

This certainly hasn't been posted already...

Way to drop the ball on advertising this properly ikea

All they had to say was say they're trying to go green upfront and name it the expedit 2.0 or something and I'd say a good chunk of people would be down for the cause.

But then they wouldn't have all us idiots lining up to buy up their remaining stock of a soon-to-be-discontinued series.

That 1cm difference I think will cause some issues.

The wood on the outer edges on expedits are 5cms thick. So they're taking away 1/5th of its structural integrity. Which isn't exactly amazing right now. I can understand why they wouldn't make the 5x5. I'm sure they've done extensive testing, including loading up a pre-production of a 5x5 kallax full of records.

The larger the number of cubes, the thicker and sturdier the frame has to be. *zayzay* simple

it seems that they're actually doing away with the 5x5 option, which is probably for this very reason. it totally makes sense that they wouldn't be able to maintain that size option with a less sturdy frame to support it.

all of the info i've seen so far suggests that the new kallax will only be in 2x4, 4x4, 2x2, and 1x4.

this thread peaked when when someone made a mock-racist comment about someone's expedit color preference.  why so serious people?  

there's plenty of time to go buy a bunch of these things. so if you're freaking out, go do that.  They're actually discounted down to $35 right now, just bought a couple myself this weekend.  They can stay in their boxes in my basement for that day in a few years when i'm full up on the ones I have and need another.  And then a few years or whatever after that, the second one, still in the box, will be able to do the same thing.  and a third, fourth, etc.  all for $35 each.  

Or panic; definitely complain a lot but wait until they're gone (oops), and then spend $300 + shipping or something ridiculous like that on ebay after may or whatever when they're no longer in stock.  that's totally an option you have also.  

i think the kallax looks nice and the pro-earth move is respectable.  yes it's a bummer for the sake of continuity in displaying your collection but at $35 ea, there's no reason that anyone who's married to the expedit can't make sure they're set for life now while the getting is still good.  

this thread peaked when when someone made a mock-racist comment about someone's expedit color preference.  why so serious people?  

there's plenty of time to go buy a bunch of these things. so if you're freaking out, go do that.  They're actually discounted down to $35 right now, just bought a couple myself this weekend.  They can stay in their boxes in my basement for that day in a few years when i'm full up on the ones I have and need another.  And then a few years or whatever after that, the second one, still in the box, will be able to do the same thing.  and a third, fourth, etc.  all for $35 each.  

Or panic; definitely complain a lot but wait until they're gone (oops), and then spend $300 + shipping or something ridiculous like that on ebay after may or whatever when they're no longer in stock.  that's totally an option you have also. 

There are always a bunch of Expedits on Craigslist in my area too and I'm sure it'll stay that way after they move to the Kallax.