Post Your Record Storage Area

my setup was a mess until this thread convinced me to go clean up. pretty sure 3 of my 6 speakers werent even playing.

[image]

The issue is vibration. Cheap amps = cheap power transformers that hum. 50-60Hz can be felt and heard depending on the physical construction of the amp. Tonearms are hollow. They connect to your cartridge, which works off of vibrations. Adding extra vibrations means distortion.

Want you crappy set up to sound worse? Put your table on your amp.

The issue is vibration. Cheap amps = cheap power transformers that hum. 50-60Hz can be felt and heard depending on the physical construction of the amp. Tonearms are hollow. They connect to your cartridge, which works off of vibrations. Adding extra vibrations means distortion.

Thank you for enlightening me in such a kind and humble manner.

Really appreciate it, friend. ;D

I had the table somewhere else before and decided to put it on top off the amp to save space. Haven't heard or 'felt' a difference what so ever. It's less than a cheap amp, it's a free amp. Pleased as shit to take it. Sounds fine, no audible hum, hasn't distorted sound quality. Once I drop a few grand on an amp up to your standards I'll be sure to PM you pictures so you can know you've made some positive impact in the world.

Thank you for enlightening me in such a kind and humble manner.

Really appreciate it, friend. ;D

I had the table somewhere else before and decided to put it on top off the amp to save space. Haven't heard or 'felt' a difference what so ever. It's less than a cheap amp, it's a free amp. Pleased as shit to take it. Sounds fine, no audible hum, hasn't distorted sound quality. Once I drop a few grand on an amp up to your standards I'll be sure to PM you pictures so you can know you've made some positive impact in the world.

Thumbs up!

my setup was a mess until this thread convinced me to go clean up. pretty sure 3 of my 6 speakers werent even playing.

[image]

What's the silver looking crate all the way to the right and where did you get it?

theres 2 of them there, but theyre from target. i think about $13 each, but theyre great.

what about when you have your speakers right near your table as well? i'd assume that'd be something of the same issue.

what about when you have your speakers right near your table as well? i'd assume that'd be something of the same issue.

Yes this will cause vibrations, but the vibrations are easier to isolate. Say the speaker is resting on carpet, has spikes, on a stand filled with glass/sand, etc. The turntable would also be on another piece of furniture, so more dampening. If you had the table on a hardwood floor next to a speaker? Yeh, TONS of distortion.

There are many ways to help isolation (cork + rubber blocks, suspension furniture, etc). But simple things like not placing the turntable on any other piece of equipment is usually step 1.

ajxd might not have tact but from reading his thoughts on audio/sound equipment on the boards the past few years, he knows more than the average person about audio.

I was an audio technician for 9 years. And yes, I do lack tact. Sorry :(

Pretty sure I was paying you a compliment. Lacking tact can be considered an admiration of candor.

Norway - 1

Savannah - 0

Norway gets a point for owning records and a turntable, but not knowing how they work? Oh.

I find it interesting that this bothers you that much. Shouldn't I be the one bothered by the sound I get from my own system? If I were experiencing the issues you've described I would go ''gee, thanks for the tip audio guru''. But nope. Very pleased, no distortion, no hum, up to my standards. But hey, that's from a guy who doesn't know a damn thing about records.

• jhulud locked this topic