Post Your Record Storage Area

Guest vito
for those people who have the 2x4 expedite on its side, how much weight do you think you can put on top of it. im thinking of getting one when i move and using it in place of an entertainment center. id be putting 32" lcd tv, wii, dvd player and probably a cable box

that should be alright as none of those items seem too heavy. i use mine as a nightstand type deal so i just have a lamp and a bunch of other light stuff on top. personally, i wouldn't try it. i get nervous just having mine on it's side sometimes.

a couple new pictures. my record room has no wall space anymore as there are shelves all around, so the distro has to go in the kitchen. and i had to rearrange and get a new shelf for it, and im going to need a new shelf for LPs, but i have no more room in my apt. ugh.

15 total shelves of records so far. ridiculous. i dont want to buy anymore.

[image]

[image]

I'm going to build one this week. Anyone have any suggestions???

An expedit? When you start pound the pegs in pretty far. I left them out about half way and it messed up the fit about 30 steps down the road.

It's not the most labor intensive piece of furniture but being an Ikea piece it requires 80% skill in getting it to fit right 20% luck.

Well something like an expedit.

I was planning on having 2 13"shelves for records. 2 11" shelves for records and books. And 2 8' shelves for records and books.

I figure the frame would have to be 14 inches deep but my plan basically was for it to look like....

(top)

Storage space on top

8" shelf

8" shelf

11" shelf

11" shelf

13" shelf

13" shelf

(bottom)

So if I have one inch of wood between each shelf it would be roughly 70" high. I have no idea how long to make the base though. I was thinking 30" or 40"?

Well something like an expedit.

I was planning on having 2 13"shelves for records. 2 11" shelves for records and books. And 2 8' shelves for records and books.

I figure the frame would have to be 14 inches deep but my plan basically was for it to look like....

(top)

Storage space on top

8" shelf

8" shelf

11" shelf

11" shelf

13" shelf

13" shelf

(bottom)

So if I have one inch of wood between each shelf it would be roughly 70" high. I have no idea how long to make the base though. I was thinking 30" or 40"?

I started building mine this past weekend too.. mine is about 5-1/2 feet wide and will end up being 7-8' tall.

I will tell you that any span over 3' will need a piece of front molding (like a 1x2). I added vertical supports at the halfway point (roughly 31") and that seems to be enough support for the weight of the records so far.

I'll be finishing friday, so I'll post a picture for what it's worth.

How you you (anyone) protect your records from the summer humidity? Is a plastic sleeve enough?

Last summer I lived in a house that had no A/C, and my room was always super hot and humid and none of my records or jackets got warped. They should be good if you have them snug against each other and in at least plastic. If you really worry, maybe get a dehumidifer and put it in the room with them.

Edit: One jacket actually got warped, but it was the one on the end and it just sort of laid by itself.

[image]

Still a work in progress as far as where everything's going to be, but it shouldn't change much. My girlfriend has 2 cats, so anything "Scratchable" has to be up high. There's 2 or so boxes of records left to shelve and way way too many comic trades to add.

Pretty happy with it though thus far.

It's such a mess right now as I'm still organizing & my girlfriend's almost totally moved in.

I'm thinking of getting a shorted one to put to the left of it strictly for my comics. To the right of the Marvel HC's are the last few weeks worth of comics, I'm in need of tape and another new long box.

for those people who have the 2x4 expedite on its side, how much weight do you think you can put on top of it. im thinking of getting one when i move and using it in place of an entertainment center. id be putting 32" lcd tv, wii, dvd player and probably a cable box

This is a terrible idea.

Why do you say that?

EDIT:

[image]

It's been like that for almost a year.

[image]

Still a work in progress as far as where everything's going to be, but it shouldn't change much. My girlfriend has 2 cats, so anything "Scratchable" has to be up high. There's 2 or so boxes of records left to shelve and way way too many comic trades to add.

Pretty happy with it though thus far.

dude! Mage! Matt Wagner's bad-ass.

• jhulud locked this topic