2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

This sucks. There really isn't even anything I'd care to take a flyer on. Wish there was some good post-rock related stuff (unless there is & I'm just not familiar with what's listed).

Anything on there I'm missing I should check out?

Honestly it kind of sucks that you think this sucks. This isn't about any one individual getting "fulfilled" it is more about supporting your local record store. Who knows how much longer those stores will be up, even with the "boom" in vinyl sales I think more people would rather purchase records online. It's sad really, that the title entails it all, "Record Store Day" but our society has become so plagued with the me first, iAttitude that we forget why events go on in the first place. I don't see this as a cash grab because from what I've seen RSD records have been fairly priced and plenty labels/genres participate to potentially satisfy those looking for a well rounded library/collection. I'm not saying you're dead wrong in your statement because obviously not every band can participate (for reasons unknown!) but yeah just stating that it's a once a year shebang and peeps should check out their local record store to support it afloat. I'm sure plenty of stores are doing the same as mines and having a sale on other merchandise in the store, my stores are going to have used sections for extremely cheap prices so if I can't get what I want on list I guess I can always jack up the jazz in my life? haha

A: I never said I wasn't going to head out at all on RSD. I'm still going out that day. I just meant it sucks I personally don't have that "must-have" item like there has been in the past.

B: The nearest record store worth going to for me is 45 min away. If I'm driving that far, I'd like there to be a chance I can pick up something I can't get elsewhere. Like I said, just in the spirit of the day I'm still going to make the drive to help support a good store, even if it just means picking up something non-RSD related. It's really the only day I make it out to a physical record store, because I'm not driving that far just to browse. I'm willing to fork out lots of cash to pick something up at the store I go to, but with nothing in particular jumping out at me, I'm not just going to blindly drop money on stuff.

So I'm sorry you took my statement so personally, but hopefully that clears things up a bit.

A: I never said I wasn't going to head out at all on RSD. I'm still going out that day. I just meant it sucks I personally don't have that "must-have" item like there has been in the past.

B: The nearest record store worth going to for me is 45 min away. If I'm driving that far, I'd like there to be a chance I can pick up something I can't get elsewhere. Like I said, just in the spirit of the day I'm still going to make the drive to help support a good store, even if it just means picking up something non-RSD related. It's really the only day I make it out to a physical record store, because I'm not driving that far just to browse. I'm willing to fork out lots of cash to pick something up at the store I go to, but with nothing in particular jumping out at me, I'm not just going to blindly drop money on stuff.

So I'm sorry you took my statement so personally, but hopefully that clears things up a bit.

No bad blood I never meant any heat towards you!

***knuckle bump*** 

Honestly it kind of sucks that you think this sucks. This isn't about any one individual getting "fulfilled" it is more about supporting your local record store. Who knows how much longer those stores will be up, even with the "boom" in vinyl sales I think more people would rather purchase records online. It's sad really, that the title entails it all, "Record Store Day" but our society has become so plagued with the me first, iAttitude that we forget why events go on in the first place. I don't see this as a cash grab because from what I've seen RSD records have been fairly priced and plenty labels/genres participate to potentially satisfy those looking for a well rounded library/collection. I'm not saying you're dead wrong in your statement because obviously not every band can participate (for reasons unknown!) but yeah just stating that it's a once a year shebang and peeps should check out their local record store to support it afloat. I'm sure plenty of stores are doing the same as mines and having a sale on other merchandise in the store, my stores are going to have used sections for extremely cheap prices so if I can't get what I want on list I guess I can always jack up the jazz in my life? haha

Honestly it kind of sucks that you equate RSD with anything beyond "financial profit" because while sure there is some gray area if you are thinking this is anything transcending simple money than idk how to reply. Our society is not plagued by a 'me first' attitude but is plagued by countless other things that lend to this attitude, the least of which may actually well be our prioritization of the dollar. everything in america returns to $$$$ and so it goes on and on. RSD is so profit associated its not even funny and that isn't because the companies are 'evil' its because that is how things work if you want to be in the position where we have RSD. 

beyond the fact that the poster you were replying to seemed to be speaking of what is being put on *this* RSD and not RSD as a collective idea. 

i mean i admire your optimism and i appreciate your post but ALL forms of collecting are a manifestation of first world pockets and boredom, 'society' doesn't factor into this more than it does anything else we buy and trade and profit or lose from. 

maybe i'm misinterpreting you but throwing around words like 'society' and who this is 'for' seems such a gross misappropriation of your original point that i had to comment. i mean, no offense, but do you really think RSD is about 'supporting the local store?' because you can do that without a slew of limited releases regardless of their pricing. and maybe you have been, don't mean to judge, but uhhhh you should probably think about your post. its great if you are going to get a discount on your Sun Ra record but then again i can get that for $1 all day every day in NYC bargain bins. there's a lot of grey area total but all in all your critique is misguided. 

see, your point isn't clear enough to get at here, but i can 100% say that RSD is not 'about the music,' and in fact very few things are 'about the music' or 'the record store.' here's the bottom line: 

all forms of collecting and even mass purchasing are pretty much reserved for 1st world disposable income and since that's the case you are going to have to play ball. record collecting is cheap compared to most hobbies based on 'collection' and while this is in no way a justification it is fundamentally tied to our society. TRUST ME if you live in a society that isn't prioritizing money or self profit than you sure as hell aren't worried about what you are and are not adding to your record collection. or any collection for that matter. 

edit: society that is 'prioritizing money and self profit' as a common place ideal. obviously even war torn countries prioritize money and self profit in their own unique way, but in America we praise it. 'buy low sell high' etc. there aren't exceptions just because 'this is music' or 'this is art,' its more musicians and artists tend to feel entitled because they are 'outside' the ever self devouring american market. 

I'm going to respond but please don't view this as an attack, I respect your opinion and you have a lot of great points...

i mean, no offense, but do you really think RSD is about 'supporting the local store?' 

Yes, I do think it's about supporting the local store. Is that hard for you to fathom? Look, I'm not stupid, there is money to be made here, I know that, most of us know that, but it's not like prices are bumped up 900%. Prices are fairly priced and are exclusive to like you said, aimed toward a community of collectors. 

Personally I like to shop the local stores because often there are great used titles, not everything has to be found on feebay or discogs, so I don't mind buying a title that is marked up a couple dollars here and there because I could make the same argument that I've found titles cheaper than the record labels themselves and I'd say that happens 50/50 of time.

Also here's this what you may perceive as "propaganda" from RSD themselves... But also fits my creedo

"Before we post the #RSD14 list and everyone gets excited (or not) about the titles on it, we wanted to say: We do this because we love record stores, and they are behind everything we do. There may be aspects of Record Store Day you don't like, don't understand, think could be done differently or better. You may hate every title on the list, or refuse to visit on 4/19 just on principle. We get it. We understand. And we hope you understand that at the base of everything Record Store Day is or ever will be is the record store and the folks who love it as much as we do."

Put simply dude, it's called Record Store Day for a reason. Not "Exclusive Online Record Day."

By the way since were all on this political topic here's the official seal lol

1743609_10153752861795276_72165707_n.jpg

Fun Fact: Chuck D received his degree from Adelphi University.

I'm going to respond but please don't view this as an attack, I respect your opinion and you have a lot of great points...

Yes, I do think it's about supporting the local store. Is that hard for you to fathom? Look, I'm not stupid, there is money to be made here, I know that, most of us know that, but it's not like prices are bumped up 900%. Prices are fairly priced and are exclusive to like you said, aimed toward a community of collectors. 

Personally I like to shop the local stores because often there are great used titles, not everything has to be found on feebay or discogs, so I don't mind buying a title that is marked up a couple dollars here and there because I could make the same argument that I've found titles cheaper than the record labels themselves and I'd say that happens 50/50 of time.

Also here's this, "propaganda" from RSD themselves...

"Before we post the #RSD14 list and everyone gets excited (or not) about the titles on it, we wanted to say: We do this because we love record stores, and they are behind everything we do. There may be aspects of Record Store Day you don't like, don't understand, think could be done differently or better. You may hate every title on the list, or refuse to visit on 4/19 just on principle. We get it. We understand. And we hope you understand that at the base of everything Record Store Day is or ever will be is the record store and the folks who love it as much as we do."

Put simply dude, it's called Record Store Day for a reason. Not "Exclusive Online Record Day."

lmao. this response kills me. sorry man, didn't mean to make it personal, honestly no offense intended.

i'll let your response speak for itself. clearly we differ on some essential points. i don't know WHAT that last point 'exclusive online record day' is supposed to mean in regard to my original post (because it was talking about much more than RSD [as it should be since you were talking in terms of general society). 

but uh....yeah, my whole point was that it's not 'propaganda,' its just the free market. its how things work, and the only thing worse than thinking 'they are ripping me off' is thinking that you are realistically contributing in someway to these companies besides just giving the money. 

OK, if you go see a band and buy all their shit on tour that's one thing, but RSD? lol.....and i love RSD because it means more pressings, but yeah, you're points are fucked and there is no way i'm going to convince you otherwise.

edit: but lets get real here i probably can't even fathom it 

second edit: i mean again no offense to you but do i really need to say anymore than that OFFICIAL CHUCK D seal? do you realize how at odds that is with your point of a 'me first' society? what it means for chuck D to endorse this? i just....i just can't.....

third edit: oh shit nvm my bad dude disregard all the above i didn't realize he received his degree from Adelphi....

fourth edit: i would still like to say that i respect your points and again, i admire your tenacity and dedication to this, but given your original post i still feel this was worth a reply. 

perhaps a better bottom line is the world and all facets of it would be better if everybody thought like you, and i wish i could at times, because being able to be 'in' music and the bands you love is an amazing thing. 

but i mean am i the only one who views RSD as more necessary financial bullshit to get more pressings and things we want? i love it, i just don't think it has ever been about any sort of intimate relationship. 

my sincere apologies if this comes off as offensive to you in anyway, you are clearly a really cool dude and i've had a few drinks which always leads to snarkiness.....

totally don't view your post as an attack, am totally just a dick, much respect though <3

A Minor Forest is basically a post rock band in the same sense that Slint is.

Breadwinner is a little like early Don Caballero. Again, not really post rock, but oft related.

I wouldn't call them post-rock, but A Minor Forest are awesome. I can't wait for that release.

So every year I deal with the huge line at Amoeba in SF - is there any better/different option for RSD?

If you find somewhere lmk...maybe the last record store in napa/sonoma? I am always tempted to go up there but worry they may not have the full selection of stuff.....

I know there is also vinyl solution in san mateo but not sure on their stock.....

Rasputin and amoeba in berkeley and 1234 go records in oakland.....

If you know anything else send me a PM .... Im down to hang in line! HAHA!

BF RSD I was in line somewhere around 3am and first....next guy showed up at 4am and then folk started to filter after 6am....

Was it worth it .... yes... and I met some cool folk but the first few hours I just watched tv on my phone.....

It can be an adventure I suppose and I will go this year just for the Cake set....otherwise not much else on my list....

Given all the debate on the merits of RSD, I'm going to give my two cents, because I have nothing better to do on a Sunday morning.  My excitement for RSD seems to wane each year, but I still think it's still a good thing overall.  Given the intention of the day - to bring exposure and revenue to local record stores - they're doing the best they can.  Ultimately, it's all about money, but what's wrong with that?  Stores, bands, pressing plants and labels need cash to survive and RSD brings them just that.  Let's not try to implant some higher meaning to the day.  While I know nothing about the music industry, I have to imagine that RSD brings a nice influx of revenue to all involved.  With the current state of the industry, my assumption would be that even major labels like Warner Bros. are struggling, of course on a different scale than indie labels.   

I don't really see what the organizers could do differently.  The limited nature of the releases forces consumers to shop on that specific day, and it also triggers something in our brains to purchase records we wouldn't normally buy - because we have to pick up the 7" of that band we're only moderately interested in, because it won't be sitting around tomorrow, and hell, I woke up too damn early to pick up just one record.

As a consumer, sure it sucks waking up at 5:00 AM to pick up a few records that I wish were pressed in greater numbers, yet, at the end of every RSD, I'm happy I went.  I don't have any friends interested in vinyl, and very few of my friends share the same passion for music as I do.  Even as an introvert I'm always compelled to talk to those other maniacs lining up two hours before my store opens, and with that sense of community, those two hours fly by.  

I understand why people are skeptical of RSD, and I think there's legitimate reason to be (marked up prices, re-presses of readily accessible albums, flippers, etc.)  However, I feel like the good outweighs the bad.  Even though RSD incites anxiety, empty wallets and lost hours of sleep, I always leave my local store happy, with or without every record on my wish-list.  And potentially, even more important than my satisfaction, my local store is supported.

i feel bad being so cynical, but i'd probably enjoy RSD a lot more if i still lived in a smaller town with a local store, because was it horrible last year in NYC. 

jokes on me though because the only thing i learned was i need to get there REALLY fucking early and so i guess this year i'm going to have to be a baller like most of you and just get there at like 3 am, because if you are going to wait in line you might as well go early so you can actually get the stuff you want. 

i still think conceptually record store day is 'bad' if we have to label it one way or the other, but obviously i'm happy to have it, in part because it means more record releases and in part because i am not my ideals.