2014 Record Store Day - April 19

gmoney

OFF! have a 7" coming for Record Store Day featuring new original artwork by the renowned Shepard Fairey (Obama's iconic HOPE poster, etc.). Fairey and the band collaborated on the project to create a song and artwork that were thematically intertwined influenced by one another. The two song single was recorded at the same sessions that yielded their forthcoming new album 

Wasted Years.

Hear the song and read an interview with Shepard Fairey about the project here:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/shepard-fairey-off-record-store-day  

1308.jpg

I noticed that too.  I wouldn't necessarily say it was bumped up, but everything I've seen from WB (their internal RSD sales spreadsheet) and even on the RSD official site says that 1000 will be made available to stores.  

What that means to me, is that the other 1500 copies could go on sale through REM's website online, which Warner has a history of doing (see BecauseSoundMatters, Flaming Lips, etc.).

Either way, the fact that more of these are in the wild is a good thing and hopefully we'll find out what the plans are for the other 1500 later on.

EDIT:  apparently per an REM post, the other 1500 are for Europe, so good for people in the UK/EU that wanted this.

I'm guessing they will do a larger pressing on black later this year then.

2425.jpg

What better day to launch a new record label than Record Store Day? Easy Sound Recording Company, a new Los Angeles-based label, will officially launch on RSD this year (April 19), with a roster featuring Vetiver, Howlin Rain, Isobel Campbell, Papercuts, the Donkeys, Rodrigo Amarante (of Little Joy and Los Hermanos), and EDJ, the new project of former Fruit Bats leader and Shins sideman Eric D. Johnson.  

Easy Sound's inaugural releases will come in the form of three split 7" singles to be released as RSD exclusives. The split series, which collects new or previously unreleased recordings from Vetiver, Howlin Rain, Papercuts, the Donkeys, Rodrigo Amarante and EDJ, mirrors the community aesthetic at the heart of Easy Sound.  Sample the whole series via this YouTube playlist.      

Holy Awesomeness:

TKO just announced they are pressing The Beltones "On Deaf Ears" on vinyl for the first time. This cd is long out of print and with no exaggeration is one of the best/most under-appreciated punk albums of the 90s. Calling my local tomorrow to see if they'll get it in from Cobraside. This just made RSD 100% worth it for me this year. 

And thank you for the compliment - you like punk then you'll ask why this album hasn't been in your life sooner. Guaranteed. And a guarantee from Gentleman Jersey Dave is nothing to laugh at. (See how it works?)

TKO is also doing a Poison Idea 7" too.  It's on the missing items for RSD list you should know about on new-vinyl.blogspot.com and is also through Cobraside.

So I've sat out on RSD up until this year...I'm debating going out to try and score a copy of that True Widow s/t repress. I have a few questions though. Since it's limited to 340, is it going to be nearly impossible to get a copy? I would assume it's a gamble if my store will even get ONE copy. Any pointers on that? I don't really want to waste my time in the madness of RSD if they will be near impossible to find. 340 just seems incredibly low.

So I've sat out on RSD up until this year...I'm debating going out to try and score a copy of that True Widow s/t repress. I have a few questions though. Since it's limited to 340, is it going to be nearly impossible to get a copy? I would assume it's a gamble if my store will even get ONE copy. Any pointers on that? I don't really want to waste my time in the madness of RSD if they will be near impossible to find. 340 just seems incredibly low.

Your best bet is to call your local store(s) a day or two before RSD and ask if they got it and how many. Based on that, you decide whether to go out or not and how early. If they only get 1 copy and you think other people in your area might be looking for it, just be first in line and you're set.. usually. Depending on where you live, people line up approx 2-10 hours before store opens... ask around your local shop.

Here is the process. RSD list comes out, record stores order and they have a ranking power and order number that determine whether or not they'll be getting it and it's all in numerical order

It'd be best to call that store and ask if they actually ordered the album. 

Does anyone have experience with Newbury Comics on RSD?

I'm interested in one of the limited releases that is not on the official RSD list. It's my understanding that the store would have to specifically request that record and I've tried asking them (Newbury) and I just get "you'll have to come in on RSD and see".

Since there is so little I'm interested in this year I might stick to the record store closest to me despite the fact they typically don't get as much as some bigger stores.

Anyone go to The Record Store in Howell, NJ? I've never gone there when they open on RSD and would like to know what to expect. Like what time should I show up? And is it a free-for-all?

Dads will be releasing an EP on Record Store Day called Woman via 6131 Records. The band has now confirmed that the release will not be put online and that all proceeds will go to Planned Parenthood.

http://propertyofzack.com/post/80851515516/dads-to-donate-all-woman-ep-proceeds-to-planned

Great cause, however I'm a little bummed it won't be available online as well. If someone can find me a copy I will reward them handsomely!

Look like ya boy is blowing hella racks this year here's my wish list:

Chvrches – Recover EP
Circa Survive/Sunny Day Real Estate – Split
One Direction -  Midnight Memories
Childish Gambino – Because The Internet
Dads - Woman EP
Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time Picture Disc
Joy Division - An Ideal For Living
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
The Velvet Underground – LOADED
Various Artists - The Space Project

Look like ya boy is blowing hella racks this year here's my wish list:

Chvrches – Recover EP

Circa Survive/Sunny Day Real Estate – Split

One Direction -  Midnight Memories

Childish Gambino – Because The Internet

Dads - Woman EP

Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time Picture Disc

Joy Division - An Ideal For Living

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

The Velvet Underground – LOADED

Various Artists - The Space Project

Nice, besides the 1D. 

My wish list and what I can afford are two very different things

People who aren't sure what they're record store is going to get... just ask them. My record shop emailed us a list of albums they weren't planning on ordering + albums they were only planning to order a single copy of. That way we could let them know of anything from that list that we want and they could order more if needed. By this time, they might not still be able to order stuff, but they should at least be able to tell you what they're getting. 

Anyone else interested in the Van Pelt lp might notice that a Pre-order of an /120 version is already up. Sorry if this was mentioned.

Thanks for mentioning this! I had it on my RSD list, but I had no idea about the green vinyl pre-order.

I have been a fan of this band since I heard "Speeding Train" on WMUC wayyy back in the day.

Ugh. To update that Van Pelt business: 22 euros to ship. Unless a solid group buy can develop I'm out for the limited version.

I am in on this, if we can get a group together stateside. I am also tempted just to spend the $34. Gotta dust off my Art Monk Constuction 7-inch now :D