R.I.P. Phillip Seymour Hoffman

3arl

"Phillip Seymour Hoffman was found with five empty heroin bag as well as many as 65 more bags that were still unused, police told ABC News."

yeah...this guy did it to himself.

He was clean/sober for 23 years, relapsed when a doctor prescribed him pain medication, and then checked himself into rehab early in 2013. Addiction is a disease and he fought it successfully most of his life. It's utterly heartbreaking that this happened and he didn't get the help he needed. 

This isn't Charlie Sheen overdosing on coke or something. PSH never glorified his drug use and spent the majority of his life clean and trying to stay that way.

so apparently he got high with the fentanyl? heroin... just awful.  just found out a friend who OD'd last month back home was using the same stuff.  bunch of people died around pittsburgh from the same stuff.  heroin is awful, it doesnt matter if youre famous or not, ive seen some bullshit comments made on social media, just depressing

Not sure if anyone else has read this piece by Russell Brand on his heroin addiction, but it provides a chilling perspective on drugs and addiction.  I know it's easy to not feel sympathy for someone who has died of an addiction by saying "they did it to themselves" for we can all see the destruction it inevitably causes, but there is something that causes people to want to use.  Especially heroin.

This article about the overdose reversing drug Naloxone is a good read too: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/02/hoffman-and-the-terrible-heroin-deaths-in-the-shadows/283533/

Guest deleted

Not sure if anyone else has read this piece by Russell Brandt on his heroin addiction, but it provides a chilling perspective on drugs and addiction.  I know it's easy to not feel sympathy for someone who has died of an addiction by saying "they did it to themselves" for we can all see the destruction it inevitably causes, but there is something that causes people to want to use.  Especially heroin.

Thanks for posting.  Everyone should read this.

Not sure if anyone else has read this piece by Russell Brandt on his heroin addiction, but it provides a chilling perspective on drugs and addiction. I know it's easy to not feel sympathy for someone who has died of an addiction by saying "they did it to themselves" for we can all see the destruction it inevitably causes, but there is something that causes people to want to use. Especially heroin.

This article about the overdose reversing drug Naloxone is a good read too: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/02/hoffman-and-the-terrible-heroin-deaths-in-the-shadows/283533/

That's was a fantastic read. I recommend it.

Not sure if anyone else has read this piece by Russell Brandt on his heroin addiction, but it provides a chilling perspective on drugs and addiction.  I know it's easy to not feel sympathy for someone who has died of an addiction by saying "they did it to themselves" for we can all see the destruction it inevitably causes, but there is something that causes people to want to use.  Especially heroin.

This article about the overdose reversing drug Naloxone is a good read too: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/02/hoffman-and-the-terrible-heroin-deaths-in-the-shadows/283533/

russell brand's article hit home so hard when i read it. all of us recovering alcoholics/addicts speak the same language :/

"Four people thought to be connected to the drugs found in late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman's apartment were arrested Tuesday night, a law enforcement official told CNN.

During the raid that yielded the arrest of the three men and one woman, police recovered 350 glassine bags, the official said." - CNN

Also, no fentanyl was found in the heroine.

He was clean/sober for 23 years, relapsed when a doctor prescribed him pain medication, and then checked himself into rehab early in 2013. Addiction is a disease and he fought it successfully most of his life. It's utterly heartbreaking that this happened and he didn't get the help he needed. 

This isn't Charlie Sheen overdosing on coke or something. PSH never glorified his drug use and spent the majority of his life clean and trying to stay that way.

Well said

"Four people thought to be connected to the drugs found in late actor Philip Seymour Hoffman's apartment were arrested Tuesday night, a law enforcement official told CNN.

During the raid that yielded the arrest of the three men and one woman, police recovered 350 glassine bags, the official said." - CNN

Also, no fentanyl was found in the heroine.

This is getting messy.  I wonder if they think the heroin was laced.