Albums (or Bands) You Are Embarrassed to Admit You Don't Get

dawhizz

I was in a pretty similar boat when Converge finally clicked for me.  I'd highly suggest working backwards from their latest.  All We Love We Leave Behind (2012) is an excellent choice, as is Axe To Fall (2009).  If neither do anything for you, I'd wait a week or so and try again.  They're an extremely rewarding band once you grasp their style and direction.

I shall listen to both of them right now. Thanks a lot!

I've tried time & time again to get into The Story So Far & Title Fight, considering I dig pretty much everything else in the genre.  Oh, & Dads, too.  I appreciate them bc they're from NJ, but I just don't like their music.

Aside from the VC-centric genres, I neverrrrrrr could get into Bob Dylan.  I appreciate what he's done for music and I respect him a lot, but I just don't like his music.

Totally Bob Dylan for me too, snoozecore.

Also Ty Segall/Thee Oh Sees

Led Zeppelin. Never have never will. Not once have I said, "you know what? I could really go for some Zeppelin right now".

My wife on the other hand looooooves them.

Totally agree.  For the longest time I could tolerate the instrumental jams or ones with minimal Plant since he's what kills the band for me, but now even the music just makes me want to change the channel.  I just don't get it.

Not embarrassed by it but most "classic rock" and any rap post 80's are a couple of the larger segments of music I don't like. I get what makes certain artists popular, it's just not for me. 

Brand New is a more contemporary artist (and one this site can relate to) that I don't get. I've tried to listen to them, it's just never clicked. 

I don't think I have ever met a single person who actually likes Bob Dylan. Feel free to prove me wrong, but he is notorious for having a voice that induces headaches.

Newer stuff:

Mixtapes

Bomb The Music Industry

Balance And Composure

Deafheaven

Somewhat older stuff:

Saosin or whatever bands that Anthony Green guy is in

RX Bandits

Say Anything

I can't really think of anything from the 90's. I like The Rising Tide and Jeremy Enigk's solo album more than Diary, if that counts.

Seems to be an unpopular choice, but I really don't get U2.  Although I've already said this in the shit on bands thread.

But I wish I could get into Nick Cave.  Love the songs I do like, but everything else, meh.

I don't think I have ever met a single person who actually likes Bob Dylan. Feel free to prove me wrong, but he is notorious for having a voice that induces headaches.

The appeal with Dylan is that he is an extremely talented writer.  And has influenced a multitude of artists.  I couldn't imagine growing up without his music.

Aw.

Just curious, which band is that Aw for? Or both? If it's any consolation, I quite enjoyed PTH a while back, and can still listen to their first couple of albums once a blue moon. The newer stuff makes me cringe, though. But that's just me.

Also, my dad really likes Volbeat. That's at least got to count for something, yeah?

I've tried time & time again to get into The Story So Far & Title Fight, considering I dig pretty much everything else in the genre.  Oh, & Dads, too.  I appreciate them bc they're from NJ, but I just don't like their music.

Aside from the VC-centric genres, I neverrrrrrr could get into Bob Dylan.  I appreciate what he's done for music and I respect him a lot, but I just don't like his music.

I'm surprised from your avatar that you don't like TSSF or TF. I personally don't like TSSF, but I listened to "21" by TF and I dug it, which is how I got into them, Floral Green took me a while to get used to, but once I gave it a couple really good listens I really appreciated it as a solid album. 

Just curious, which band is that Aw for? Or both? If it's any consolation, I quite enjoyed PTH a while back, and can still listen to their first couple of albums once a blue moon. The newer stuff makes me cringe, though. But that's just me.

Also, my dad really likes Volbeat. That's at least got to count for something, yeah?

Protest. Fortress is one of those albums where I remember exactly where I was and who I was with the first time I heard it because I loved it immediately upon first listen. I like the last two albums, but definitely not their best.

I have no idea what Volbeat is.

Protest. Fortress is one of those albums where I remember exactly where I was and who I was with the first time I heard it because I loved it immediately upon first listen. I like the last two albums, but definitely not their best.

I have no idea what Volbeat is.

Totally understandable. And ironically, Fortress is unarguably my favorite album of theirs. Probably because it was the last record before Rody (unfortunately) took over the lyrics. Oof. But that aside, each track has a sort of charm and memorable flair that I can get into. I can't say the same for anything that follows it.

And Volbeat... haha, I'm actually pretty interested to hear what you'd think about them. Radio cheese at its finest.