Albums (or Bands) You Are Embarrassed to Admit You Don't Get

dawhizz

Although I am a fan of a few Bright Eyes albums, I dont get the intense love for Conor Oberst. I feel like the dude is over rated.

I hear this so often yet I will never understand how someone can not "get" the intensity of his artistic merit. I view his two decade musical career as the most impressive example of consecutive songwriting quality. I do think though that in order for the intentions behind his artistic contributions to resonate that one must be very sentimentally inclined and emotionally focused. Certainly the grandest example of the man not matching up with the beauty they envision through song though.. there's nothing gentle or cherished or sweet or selfless about the person he is. But I perceive that reflective warmth in every single record he's released.

• 3 months later...

If anyone doesn't get the Beatles try a couple albums from different time periods. They changed so much over their career that it would be a shame to dismiss the entire discography based on one album.

I've actually never listened to a whole Beatles album.  I know songs like Yellow Submarine and stuff like that from catching them on TV but I have actually never just tried listening to Beatles album.  Before I die I do plan on listening to a Beatles album.

I hear this so often yet I will never understand how someone can not "get" the intensity of his artistic merit. I view his two decade musical career as the most impressive example of consecutive songwriting quality. I do think though that in order for the intentions behind his artistic contributions to resonate that one must be very sentimentally inclined and emotionally focused. Certainly the grandest example of the man not matching up with the beauty they envision through song though.. there's nothing gentle or cherished or sweet or selfless about the person he is. But I perceive that reflective warmth in every single record he's released.

I don't 'get' him either. I also don't pay attention to lyrics, so maybe that's why? But I still enjoy stuff like Tom Waits or The National even though I couldn't tell you the lyrics to any of their songs. 

I also just can't get into Radiohead. I've tried a lot and don't dislike them and even enjoy some songs, but with albums as a whole I'm always left just feeling, "meh." Same for The Flaming Lips. 

CHVRCHES/Lorde- their first singles grabbed my attention nothing else yet

I felt the same way about Chvrches, but I put that album on my phone and I actually enjoy it now. Takes a little time but it's a grower.

I've actually never listened to a whole Beatles album.  I know songs like Yellow Submarine and stuff like that from catching them on TV but I have actually never just tried listening to Beatles album.  Before I die I do plan on listening to a Beatles album.

I'm not a real Beatles guy either. As much as I hate to admit it, I'd say Sgt. Pepper's is aaaaactually a surprisingly solid album.

I can't get super behind post-The Smiths Morrissey...

List of artists I don't understand the hype behind:

The Beatles

American Football

Capn Jazz

Algernon Cadawhatever

Snowing

Brand New

Teen Suicide

Nouns

Real Friends

Neck Deep

Knuckle Puck

Front Bottoms

Sleeping With Sirens

Emmure

Emarosa

Pianos Become The Teeth

Mewithoutyou.

Massive downvotes and butthurt incoming.

List of artists I don't understand the hype behind:

The Beatles - With you

American Football - Whaaaaaat?! so good.

Capn Jazz - can take 'em or leave 'em.

Algernon Cadawhatever - used to really dig them, kind of over the whole "Kinsella-clone" thing

Snowing - who?

Brand New - yup.

Teen Suicide - who?

Nouns - who?

Real Friends - who?

Neck Deep -who?

Knuckle Puck - who?

Front Bottoms - who?

Sleeping With Sirens-who?

Emmure - who?

Emarosa - who?

Pianos Become The Teeth - yup

Mewithoutyou. - yup

Massive downvotes and butthurt incoming.

yup.

It's been talked about so many times in threads like this, but Deafheaven.

I so badly want to enjoy them. I love shoegaze. I enjoy *some* post-rock. I don't like black metal. At all. Still, I'm optimistic. The lovely guitars kick in on the first track of Sunbather, and I'm expecting to be blown away. Then, those annoying hyper-drums start up and I'm cringing a little bit. But I could deal with the drums if it weren't for the singing. Vocals enter, and I have to turn it off. Sorry.

Album title/artwork is cool. Band name is sweet. Guitar work is quite nice. Drums are annoying. Vocals are beyond my tolerance of awful.

I dig that Deafheaven are "redefining" their genre, and maybe it's alienating some hardcore black-metal fans who don't like the textured guitars or the post-rock song structures, but it's not enough for me.

It's probably just all black-metal that's lost on me. Oh, well.

I will say, however, that there isn't really even a single artist that clicked for me on the first listen. Every one of my favorite albums took at least 3-4 full listens before anything started working for me, with very few exceptions.

There's a shitload of bands I sort of just wrote off when I joined this board after seeing the kind of following they had, and then how they failed to click for me on the first listen. Slint, HUM, Far, Mogwai, Codeine, and Death Grips all made me scratch my head upon first listen. Now, I can safely say I've come to appreciate all of those bands, and all it took was time.

I still don't understand how people like: Brand New, Touche Amore, Guided By Voices, Swans, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Deafheaven, Animal Collective, or Neutral Milk Hotel.

Maybe in another year I can add those bands to my list, but right now... Not feeling any of it.

I will say, however, that there isn't really even a single artist that clicked for me on the first listen. Every one of my favorite albums took at least 3-4 full listens before anything started working for me, with very few exceptions.

There's a shitload of bands I sort of just wrote off when I joined this board after seeing the kind of following they had, and then how they failed to click for me on the first listen. Slint, HUM, Far, Mogwai, Codeine, and Death Grips all made me scratch my head upon first listen. Now, I can safely say I've come to appreciate all of those bands, and all it took was time.

I still don't understand how people like: Brand New, Touche Amore, Guided By Voices, Swans, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Deafheaven, Animal Collective, or Neutral Milk Hotel.

Maybe in another year I can add those bands to my list, but right now... Not feeling any of it.

Swans, NMH, Guided by Voices, and Godspeed should grow on you like Slint, Hum, Mogwai and Codeine did. Some of the best bands ever (to the point where it's hard for me to understand you not liking them when you like Slint and stuff). I don't see how any of those bands have bad followings besides NMH though.