Albums (or Bands) You Are Embarrassed to Admit You Don't Get

dawhizz

My main "I don't get it" album is Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Always has been, always will be. I'm not embarrassed about that, either.

My most recent "I don't get it" album was Deafheaven - Sunbather, but I listened to the whole thing, beginning to end, while riding around Atlanta on the MARTA yesterday, and can completely understand why it got so much hype (because it's amazing).

My main "I don't get it" album is Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Always has been, always will be. I'm not embarrassed about that, either.

My most recent "I don't get it" album was Deafheaven - Sunbather, but I listened to the whole thing, beginning to end, while riding around Atlanta on the MARTA yesterday, and can completely understand why it got so much hype (because it's amazing).

I was stuck in the Atlanta airport for 24 hours during the recent snowpocalypse. Maybe if I'd had my copy of Sunbather I would finally get it too.

Not surprised by the NMH mentions, but it may be my favorite album.

I'm not really embarrassed about music I don't get, but I'd echo the Captain Beefheart stuff that is along the lines of Trout Mask Replica. I have a copy of Safe as Milk that I love, but the noisier stuff I've never been able to really get into. Sometimes I wish I could get into Daft Punk just because of their popularity, but I can't stand that kind of repetitive nature I've found in their songs mixed with the kind of vocal manipulation that bugs me.

Some days I'm really not into Velvet Underground, and I'm not sure what's up with that since most of the time I am completely into it. Also, Frank Black's solo stuff. I don't think I know anybody who is actually all that into it, but I love some of his songs like "Cold Heart of Stone" so much. It makes me wonder if his output is really that spotty or if I'm missing how to enjoy his albums fully.

Glad I'm not the only one, but I know I don't dislike it. I'm going to listen to it a few times in the next few days to give myself a definite opinion of it.

Years and years ago, I had a guy try to get me into it. He told me one of the songs made him think of me. I don't remember which one it was, but it may be part of the reason I've subconsciously disregarded this album until now.

The Mars Volta. Seriously, I think they're just unlistenable.

Same. I have tried to get into them at various points in my life but can't. I feel like I should enjoy them but I honestly find them to be awful sounding. I like At The Drive In but can't stand Mars Volta.

Edit: also, On Avery Island >>>>>> Aeroplane as far as NMH goes. It saddens me that Avery Island is so neglected.

I too don't get Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Velvet Underground, etc.

I don't understand the appeal of Muse. Cool rhythm section but I don't get why people thought they were interesting.

I think this fad is over but I don't understand indie rock bands who sound like two college kids making up shit in their dorm room while high. Stuff like The Unicorns and Lightning Bolt. It's a bunch of shitty distortion pedals, toy pianos, and droning or yelping male vocals.

I used to not understand Talking Heads and other new wave but I'm starting to get the appeal. When I was a teenager I thought all 80s music was cheesy but it's starting to make sense.

How about bands that you get but others don't? I love Joanna Newsom to death but nobody I know can get past her voice.

Converge - It's almost like I really want to like them, but I've tried listening to them and I just can't seem to get into their music

No offense intended, but this is probably why;

On Frail Wings of Vanity and Wax by Alesana should be repressed and everything else they've released should be pressed on vinyl

I think this fad is over but I don't understand indie rock bands who sound like two college kids making up shit in their dorm room while high. Stuff like The Unicorns and Lightning Bolt. It's a bunch of shitty distortion pedals, toy pianos, and droning or yelping male vocals.

Lightning Bolt is the tits! Check out the live music video for 13 Monsters - I didn't really 'get them' until my roommate showed it to me, and then something just clicked.

Anyway, mine is Brand New. Always has been. I've never been able to make it through an album of theirs without getting bored. Dunno what it is.

No offense taken, but its not like I just listen to post-hardcore stuff. I listen to a lot of different genres

Of course, variety is key.  I can certainly respect that.  But I can't say I know too many individuals who enjoy both Converge and mallcore.  Converge just comes off as too abrasive and sporadic in their books.

I've tried time & time again to get into The Story So Far & Title Fight, considering I dig pretty much everything else in the genre.  Oh, & Dads, too.  I appreciate them bc they're from NJ, but I just don't like their music.

Aside from the VC-centric genres, I neverrrrrrr could get into Bob Dylan.  I appreciate what he's done for music and I respect him a lot, but I just don't like his music.

Of course, variety is key.  I can certainly respect that.  But I can't say I know too many individuals who enjoy both Converge and mallcore.  Converge just comes off as too abrasive and sporadic in their books.

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. But I really do try listening to some of everything...I'll bet there aren't many people who can say they enjoy Suffocation and Skinless as well as Circa Survive and Modest Mouse. The only thing I really can't stand is country. I'd like to try listening to Converge again though..are there any specific albums or songs you can recommend?

Yeah, I see what you're getting at. But I really do try listening to some of everything...I'll bet there aren't many people who can say they enjoy Suffocation and Skinless as well as Circa Survive and Modest Mouse. The only thing I really can't stand is country. I'd like to try listening to Converge again though..are there any specific albums or songs you can recommend?

I was in a pretty similar boat when Converge finally clicked for me.  I'd highly suggest working backwards from their latest.  All We Love We Leave Behind (2012) is an excellent choice, as is Axe To Fall (2009).  If neither do anything for you, I'd wait a week or so and try again.  They're an extremely rewarding band once you grasp their style and direction.