"you're going to hate the new menzingers. it's so so so so so bad."

This sounds like a pretty knee jerk reaction.

I've listened a few times now. It's a little more polished, a little more mainstream in its songwriting maybe, and the lyrical content is a bit more "mature" or something (can't put my finger on it but there's definitely a difference in the lyrics). But aside from ridiculous expectations, if you liked the last one, you should find plenty to like here.

Agree that there is nothing on here like Casey, though. Or Time Tables, if I want to be a real jerk about it ha.

I think it fucking rules. Love the length, love the recording sonically (imperfections in the drum sounds specifically) and think that with time the hooks will outweigh the little things i see people whining about.

Transient Love is probably now my favourite Menzingers song even though all my friends hate it. Fuck them though.  

I think what my friend from earlier was getting at (it's a she by the way) is that in my and her opinion, Chamberlain Waits is hands down their best work. I thought On The Impossible Past was just okay.

With the two tracks already released, In Remission I thought was absolutely horrible but I really enjoyed "I Don't Want To Be An Asshole Anymore" except for the drumming style. I don't know what they were thinking in some parts of writing the drum track.

So all of that said, to each their own. I guess, I'll just have to wait until the record shows up and see how it is from that point.

^^ I agree that Chamberlain Waits is their best album to date.  After the dust settled with the last release, I still find myself listening to CW more than I do OTIP.  

I celebrate their entire catalog, though.  Excited to hear this record.

Off topic - Whatever happened to 'Sheep', the side project with Greg and his brother, plus some people fromTigers Jaw?  Last I heard they were working on a 7". this was at least two years ago.

Chamberlain is a special album, no doubt about it. One of those records that just hit in a perfect way. My most played by them too. But for a band with their level of success, I think they've done a great job of adapting to the pressures of getting big and molding their sound, and still retaining so many of the elements that drew me to that record in such a strong way. Can't say that about a lot of bands. You might find things to dislike and reasons why older stuff was better, but they could have gone a lot further off the cliff.

The couple times I've seen them since the last record, the shows were mostly full of high school kids and some parent chaperones. With my friends at the bars in these places, saying we felt super old is an understatement. I was definitely worried that this would have an effect on subsequent records. After hearing this one, I don't think it has. So more power to these guys and their ability to balance it all.

I'll say it: Hey Brian, take note.

The whole thing is great but I especially love The Talk.

i was surprised they didn't use that as a single. not my favorite (i think heartache, nothing feels good, hearts unknown are better), but probably the catchiest.

That song sounds a lot like Dookie or Insomniac era Green Day to me. Not a bad thing in my book at all.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I listen to this the less I like it. In Remission is fucking awesome though.

Sadly, this.  I adore In Remission, The Talk (hello, the Offspring), and I don't wanna be an asshole anymore, but everything else just feels flat.   I was hoping for more songs that stick out more like Mexican Guitars and Casey (or most of OTIP.)  I dig this album a lot but I'm not sure how much it'll hold up over time.   But then again, I'm pretty drunk so who knows.