Does anyone else get sick of confusing re-issues?

Small rant incoming. Like the title says, does anyone else get sick of trying to hunt down a specific release in a sea of re-issues and re-pressings? Don't get me wrong I have nothing against either, but it gets frustrating when they re-press a record that is visually identical to an earlier pressing because it makes it very difficult to track down specific releases.

For example, albums that are silently re-released several years later and appear identical to the previous release, like using the same catalogue and barcode numbers as the original. Usually the only way to tell is some minor difference in the runout groove or a small logo on the jacket.

This is espically frustrating when trying to buy a record online from a seller who can't be bothered to find out what they actaully have. I have clearly put way too much stock in the Discogs marketplace by assuming that people actaully list their albums for sale under the correct release, but instead you have them listing reissues as originals, etc.

Or, maybe i'm being too uptight about this.

Does anyone else get sick of stupid threads by new members?

Aw, c'mon, these threads give you the opportunity to feel cool and superior because you've been here longer!

Discogs is terrible for that.  I especially love, "sealed copy, can not confirm color" but they list it under the rarest version and ask double the going rate

This, in particular. They never seem to want to answer questions, either. "I sell 1000's of records and can't be bothered to look at them all".

I think the big problem is when the UPC is reused, because that makes it impossible to computerize everything. A UPC is supposed to uniquely identify a record, but I think some labels don't understand this and reuse old artwork when they repress. 

Yeah, exactly. Is it that much of a problem to change a few numbers on the jacket to make it easier to identify?

Does anyone else get sick of stupid threads by new members?

Dick.

Fixed that for ya.  ;)

Dick.

The guy posts a legitimate topic that could easily spark discussion and this is how cool you have to be about it? There's nothing wrong with his post. You're not interested? Then move the fuck on, not every thread needs to be about a pre order. The too cool factor is really a terrible part of this 'collective.'

I gave up on the whole "collecting" of records a while ago. It was expensive and time consuming and pretty much pointless. Usually just buy one copy for every album that I want now. Any more I just get black to keep things simple. Sometimes I will get a cool color if I feel like it. Sometimes I get the rarest variant because I think I am cool for doing so. It all just depends on how I am feeling that day. 

Dick.

Dick.

The guy posts a legitimate topic that could easily spark discussion and this is how cool you have to be about it? There's nothing wrong with his post. You're not interested? Then move the fuck on, not every thread needs to be about a pre order. The too cool factor is really a terrible part of this 'collective.'

How sincere  :rolleyes:

It wasn't so much of a discussion as it was a rant. I mean there are plenty of records like the OP stated, so if this is a major problem theres really nothing to say other than "vinyl collecting" is going to be a major issue. It's not a superiority complex...buy a record and listen to it. If you need something specific, then get it. If's too complex, oh well. 

I gave up on the whole "collecting" of records a while ago. It was expensive and time consuming and pretty much pointless. Usually just buy one copy for every album that I want now. Any more I just get black to keep things simple. Sometimes I will get a cool color if I feel like it. Sometimes I get the rarest variant because I think I am cool for doing so. It all just depends on how I am feeling that day.

Yeah I agree. Especially now with labels doing a basic color as the limited and some crazy cool splatter as the reg edition (or as a repress). I have a rule one copy of a record. I buy the color I like and that's it. Very rarley I will buy the repres of the record if I like the color or something but then I sell the original I have for cost.

Creating a new catalog number and barcode is easy. But for the record label, it can create a lot of logistical and accounting headaches. For each new catalog number, we need to track sales, expenses, royalty payouts, etc, etc. If we are repressing a title that is essentially the same, it just isn't justifiable to create a new release. If we do a deluxe reissue or it is substantively different, we'll issue a new catalog number and barcode.

It can also complicate digital media delivery. You'd have a different product on itunes and spotify than the one that you are selling physically.

It would also fuck up sales tracking for a release. If you issue it as a new product, sales for that title start over at zero. (This would be related to sales records that count towards having a record go gold). Obviously not an issue for most titles, but it's something that is taken into consideration by bigger indies and majors.

I agree it can be a pain in the ass to make sure you are getting the version you want on ebay and discogs. The worst (on discogs) is that some titles start out as having only one submission for multiple versions, and then the repress is added later as a separate entry. Many of the people selling represses in the OG pressing's listing often don't move them over. I've tried to edit submissions like this to minimize the impact on sellers and buyers, but I got yelled at so I gave up. (Make the entry that 600 people own the common repress, and add the rare OG pressing as a new entry). I understand why they have the rules they do, but it makes it likely that people aren't going to get what they are expecting unless they know what to ask.

Dick.

Dick.

Chill out. I'm a dick, no surprises there. But that doesn't make this thread worthwhile or interesting. I forgot that people get way to butthurt in this forum. I'll see myself out and go back to the Everything Else section.

Chill out. I'm a dick, no surprises there. But that doesn't make this thread worthwhile or interesting. I forgot that people get way to butthurt in this forum. I'll see myself out and go back to the Everything Else section.

Best for folks like you and I to leave these topics alone... Remember people like me and you, we love going back and forth in the sports forum, we can dish it back and forth all the time and we do! In the NFL and NBA forums that is... But out here on the vinyl boards, it can get a little testy/sensitive real fast!

(This is a neutral post, please don't negative down vote me or positive up vote!)

Creating a new catalog number and barcode is easy. But for the record label, it can create a lot of logistical and accounting headaches. For each new catalog number, we need to track sales, expenses, royalty payouts, etc, etc. If we are repressing a title that is essentially the same, it just isn't justifiable to create a new release. If we do a deluxe reissue or it is substantively different, we'll issue a new catalog number and barcode.

It can also complicate digital media delivery. You'd have a different product on itunes and spotify than the one that you are selling physically.

It would also fuck up sales tracking for a release. If you issue it as a new product, sales for that title start over at zero. (This would be related to sales records that count towards having a record go gold). Obviously not an issue for most titles, but it's something that is taken into consideration by bigger indies and majors.

I agree it can be a pain in the ass to make sure you are getting the version you want on ebay and discogs. The worst (on discogs) is that some titles start out as having only one submission for multiple versions, and then the repress is added later as a separate entry. Many of the people selling represses in the OG pressing's listing often don't move them over. I've tried to edit submissions like this to minimize the impact on sellers and buyers, but I got yelled at so I gave up. (Make the entry that 600 people own the common repress, and add the rare OG pressing as a new entry). I understand why they have the rules they do, but it makes it likely that people aren't going to get what they are expecting unless they know what to ask.

This is the sort of response I was looking for, thank you for taking the time to write it. If there's a logistical reason behind it then I can definitely understand why the label would want to keep things simple instead of creating new release numbers for each and every pressing. And you're right about the way discogs tracks new submissions, I was quick to assume that people list things in the wrong category on purpose all the time.