The Wonder Years - The Greatest Generation out May 14th

I have seen people say that this album is nice because it's something new or a breath of fresh air or whatever. If you think that, I believe that you might need to expand your musical horizons. This isn't anything new, and it sure as hell does not show that we hadn't seen all that this generation was capable of (as Soupy had said it would in the interview on the Gunz show). 

Also, people knocked the Shone record for having theatrical vocals, but at least Andrew Accardi can pull them off with finesse. Soupy is a good frontman, but he is not necessarily a good singer. While it is good to push your limits to expand your abilities, doing so on a record where a listener can pick out that trying to do certain things with your voice isn't natural is not a smart idea. 

Still don't understand why people were so disappointed with the bee transit album. This new Wonder Years album is way more disappointing to me.

The Transit one was a different type of album than they'd done before. They tried to do more of the summer jams and anthems, compared to what they had done before the lyrics weren't as touching and didn't feel as sincere.

I have seen people say that this album is nice because it's something new or a breath of fresh air or whatever. If you think that, I believe that you might need to expand your musical horizons. This isn't anything new, and it sure as hell does not show that we hadn't seen all that this generation was capable of (as Soupy had said it would in the interview on the Gunz show). 

Also, people knocked the Shone record for having theatrical vocals, but at least Andrew Accardi can pull them off with finesse. Soupy is a good frontman, but he is not necessarily a good singer. While it is good to push your limits to expand your abilities, doing so on a record where a listener can pick out that trying to do certain things with your voice isn't natural is not a smart idea. 

The Transit one was a different type of album than they'd done before. They tried to do more of the summer jams and anthems, compared to what they had done before the lyrics weren't as touching and didn't feel as sincere.

The breath of fresh air for me is the lyrics. It always has been. Pop punk is pop punk. But there's a connection between myself and TWY lyrics. They've helped me through a lot, and will always continue to make me happy and keep me grounded.

The breath of fresh air for me is the lyrics. It always has been. Pop punk is pop punk. But there's a connection between myself and TWY lyrics. They've helped me through a lot, and will always continue to make me happy and keep me grounded.

Let me put it in perspective. Using "it's pop punk" as an excuse is bs. Nobody ever had to say that about NFG, TGUK, Lifetime etc. I used to go to TWY shows and listen to them and relate. I was in college when The Upsides came out. I was broke, living in Philly, doing the same stuff they were and getting over a bad breakup. It got me hooked. This record does not have that level of relatable lyrics, unless you count the line about everyone you graduated with getting married and having kids.

That being said, I am going to guess you're a few years younger than me. I don't like Modern Baseball, I don't wear pop punk tank tops. I don't necessarily expect my opinion here to be common.

Let me put it in perspective. Using "it's pop punk" as an excuse is bs. Nobody ever had to say that about NFG, TGUK, Lifetime etc. I used to go to TWY shows and listen to them and relate. I was in college when The Upsides came out. I was broke, living in Philly, doing the same stuff they were and getting over a bad breakup. It got me hooked. This record does not have that level of relatable lyrics, unless you count the line about everyone you graduated with getting married and having kids.

That being said, I am going to guess you're a few years younger than me. I don't like Modern Baseball, I don't wear pop punk tank tops. I don't necessarily expect my opinion here to be common.

I'm not using it as an excuse. I guess that a lot of the reason I listen to the music I listen to is because of the lyrics. There's just always a number of lines that stick out to me on a TWY record. That begin said, a genre is a genre for a reason, and I don't always expect there to be something new and amazing on every pop punk record. You can't really reinvent it, in my opinion. But at the end of the day, this IS a TWY record and that is enough reason for me to love it. 

Just because its an album put out by your favorite band doesn't mean you have to automatically like it.

For example, NFG is probably my favorite band. I've been with them since they released self titled. I looked forward to every single album they released. I was SO pumped after catalyst waiting for the follow up to that album that ended up becoming Coming Home. I was so excited the day I first put that album on and listened to it for the first time. That album SUCKED. I didn't feel like I had to like it just because it was my favorite band. The same thing can be said for transit for me personally as well, I absolutely love those dudes but Young New England is a steaming pile of shit minus one or two songs.

I agree with every thing that is being said here. I think this album is consistent with everything else that they put out. They didn't change their game, and that's ok. I don't like this album cause I feel like I have to like it because I love TWY. I like it because it has all the same qualities that made me like their other releases. And that's enough for me. I don't listen to every new album I hear and  expect to be WOWed. I just listen and hope to find comfort. That's what music has always done for me, and this album is doing just that. 

I enjoyed all four. 

me too. Maybe I am just easy to please. I ain't complaining cause I love new music. Honestly the Twenty One Pilots debut is my favorite of the year so far but I have liked how different all the new albums released are from previous work. FOB and Paramore were really good.

This new TWY album is no exception. I find it better than Suburbia (and I loved that album). Not a by a whole lot but there are little things about this album and its theme that really bring it home well.

Right. The thing is, I am pretty sure that if this wasn't TWY most people wouldn't really give it a second thought. 

Honestly if it wasn't TWY I would probably find it more impressive. I just graduated college and I listen to a lot less pop punk these days. I have been in a big pop and indie pop kick as of recently but I still really enjoy this album. 

I will agree it sounds very TWY and nothing more. There are some areas of diversity but less than I expected but I think the album came together really well. I would rather have albums like this than new Man Overboard albums tbh.

If anything, it's TWY coasting. I'd much rather have that than another "Coming Home". I shuddered just thinking about it.

For the record, I wasn't comparing this to Coming Home. After two listens to this, I dont think its bad but I'm not really excited about it either.

I was just saying people are going to praise this just because its TWY. I was trying to use the NFG comparison to say that people don't have to feel like they have to automatically like something based solely on the fact its being released by their favorite band

For the record, I wasn't comparing this to Coming Home. After two listens to this, I dont think its bad but I'm not really excited about it either.

I was just saying people are going to praise this just because its TWY. I was trying to use the NFG comparison to say that people don't have to feel like they have to automatically like something based solely on the fact its being released by their favorite band

I understand. I wasn't comparing it to Coming Home either. Just more relieved that it wasn't a jarring departure from the norm like Coming Home was.

As for my coasting comment, I will agree that it might be too early for me to make that statement. I've only given it a couple of plays and haven't had a chance to really delve into it. Once I get it from Merchnow, I will give it the proper attention it deserves. I'm sure there's something deeper that I haven't come across yet. First impression, though? A lot of the same.

I think this album is consistent with everything else that they put out.

no it's not. i'm three songs into the stream and already disappointed. the intro song lacked no punch whatsoever, which is disappointing considering the rest of their albums have come out swinging (no pun intended, honestly).

it's okay to dislike this album or be let down but to say that the band fucking coasted on this release is just downright incorrect and kind of disrespectful.

Downright incorrect? That's almost as bold a statement as saying that the previously released tracks were in the lower half of this album (which I found to be the total opposite).