Nirvana - Bleach Colored LP (2x Newbury Comics /750 & /750)

The idea that Newbury Comics is independent is a little misleading. It's like calling Boston Beer Company a "craft brewery." Sure, technically they are, but the difference between the little guys and them is almost as large as between them and the big boys.

That isn't to say Newbury Comics (or Boston Beer Company, for that matter) doesn't do a lot to help the industry and that their success doesn't trickle down to smaller players, but when I walk into one of the high-rent Newbury Comics mall locations full of clothing, shoes and Hunger Games merchandise I'm sure not thinking I'm helping a struggling mom and pop record store.

Absolutely. But I'd rather have them around then not, mostly because they get a large selection of records, more than the local mom and pop store.

And yeah, the mall like atmosphere at the stores (clothing, toys, etc) is super annoying, but again ---  selling junk like that helps keep them in business. So ultimately, I'm for it. 

STL_BEN thats funny!  Perhaps we should start a movement to change the name of the boards to CheapassCollective.  

Look, I get the cost of vinyl is rising, and incomes are not, but most of the people blowing gaskets about this album already have it, so what is the BFD?

The BFD is that $30+ per record could become the norm for all releases.  Even a couple years ago, $18 or less was average for a lot of releases, now most are initially sold at $22+.  Obviously inflation and economics come into play here, but $30 is a lot of money for one album.  There's nothing wrong with supporting a (local) business, but there is a difference between honest mark-up and price gouging.  Newbury has the game down for sure, and they are selling out of all of their limited releases.  Good for them, but I hope the trend does not spread to other stores.

I wouldn't call myself a cheapass, but I enjoy saving money and getting a good deal, as do most people.

STL_BEN thats funny!  Perhaps we should start a movement to change the name of the boards to CheapassCollective.  

Look, I get the cost of vinyl is rising, and incomes are not, but most of the people blowing gaskets about this album already have it, so what is the BFD?

It is not about having the album or not. Or even buying this version or not.

The BFD is the point that has been stated several times: Labels producing some "limited collectors" edition of albums like this and charging much more than should be charged creates and environment were ALL releases prices go up because other labels look to respected Independent stores like Newbury comics and see that they're making a killing of of things like this. They see that they can rip folks off an get away with it.

Instead of a single item being released for an outlandish price that is being argued about by assholes on the internet it becomes the norm.

It's already starting to be seen in other retailers. Look at SRC. Their average price for a new release of their own is between $24-35$, and they're not even marketing their shit to hardcore Nirvana collectors who need everything produced on the band. They are marketing to kids new to collecting, high school and college kids and current collectors buying previously unavailable items for nostalgia's sake.

Perhaps we should start a movement to change the name of the boards to EntitlementCollective.

I buy some records for cheap so they should all be cheap, like me.

It is not about having the album or not. Or even buying this version or not.

The BFD is the point that has been stated several times: Labels producing some "limited collectors" edition of albums like this and charging much more than should be charged creates and environment were ALL releases prices go up because other labels look to respected Independent stores like Newbury comics and see that they're making a killing of of things like this. They see that they can rip folks off an get away with it.

Instead of a single item being released for an outlandish price that is being argued about by assholes on the internet it becomes the norm.

It's already starting to be seen in other retailers. Look at SRC. Their average price for a new release of their own is between $24-35$, and they're not even marketing their shit to hardcore Nirvana collectors who need everything produced on the band. They are marketing to kids new to collecting, high school and college kids and current collectors buying previously unavailable items for nostalgia's sake.

Ok I'm going to attack this from a marketing standpoint. Go to Tumblr and search Nirvana hashtag. A lot of kids born in like 98 it seems are loving the whole, "Nirvana" aesthetic. Grunge has taken full storm in the fashion industry. Maybe those kids can shell out 30$ easily on a record. 

Who cares anyways...

I mean the best way for those prices to drop are for people to not buy it, they'll drop eventually we all know about the power of quiet protest.

Newbury does participate in Black Friday right? ;)

Oh my god you people need to stop your bitching.  If you can't afford records do not buy them.

Create a new thread about how records are too expensive for you all... so we don't have to search through this thread for actual valuable info.

your valuable information is on the first post in blue with an underline (link)

since you have under 30 posts you dont know that after the initial post, threads derail here as often as Mylie rides a wrecking ball.

edit: Derek beat me to it

I just feel like no one should have to defend themselves for complaining about a dumb thing on a message board. This isn't just a repository for PO links and pressing information, people have opinions on stuff and to just parrot "DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT" back at dissenters does nothing for discussion and makes you look insecure about your opinions.

"THIS IS OVERPRICED, I CAN BUY IT CHEAPER" doesn't do much for creating discussion either.

I don't see the point of saying that over and over.  This stuff is made so companies (Sub Pop/Newbury Comics) make money.  If nobody buys it, they'll probably drop the price.  If people buy it, that is awesome and maybe they make some money.  If they would have announced these were RRHOF exclusive, people would go nuts about that.

I've never met a single person who cares about the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. If anything, interest in Nirvana was rekindled by the 20th anniversaries of their 3 albums over the last few years. Getting into the RRHoF is pretty much like getting a star in the Hollywood Walk of Fame, or maybe a VMA.

Speaking of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame (and to take the conversation in a slightly new direction, since I think we've exhausted the current conversation) --- does anyone else think that it's pretty bullshit about Chad Channing not getting inducted? I mean, I agree,the Hall of Fame is stupid, but stupid as it is, the decision to exclude him seems particularly cruel and disrespectful. 

This is such nonsense. A relative recently gave me a whole stack of Elvis Costello records. He was a huge Elvis fan and he had tons of different reissues of different albums in different colors and variants. When I asked how much he paid for them at the time he said "way more than I should have, way more than they were worth."

We might not like it, but this is nothing new. 

Give us a list of what he gave you?