Taylor Swift - 1989 2xLP

How is this any different than Shake it Off? It sounds to me like the same stale bubblegum pop song.

I get that she is doing a full blown pop album now, but it seems to me that she threw out her writing skills as well. She went from writing her own songs that were great to co writing her pop songs that all sound like every other generic pop song with bad lyrics.

It's pretty different than SIO because to me it has more of her traditional storytelling in the verses and bridge. There are even some shades of All Too Well here with the "Moved the furniture so we could dance/baby like we stood a chance/Two paper airplanes flying" line. To me it's reminiscent of "Dancing 'round the kitchen in the refrigerator light."

And it also has some Taylor-esque metaphors particularly with the lines "the rest of the world was black and white but we were in screaming color" and "the monsters turned out to be just trees" and the aforementioned paper airplanes line. Maybe I'm off-base, but the lyricism is way better in this song than SIO. Even though the chorus is really repetitive, I think it's used to effect in this song because she keeps talking about the anxiousness with the state of their relationship, and so she's constantly asking herself trying to gauge how everything's going. Finally, the bridge is great like almost all her bridges. I really hated the SIO bridge at first, and still only tolerate it. One of the things she's always done flawlessly is capping the song with an outstanding bridge and this song hits the mark for me.

Finally, the music itself works for me. Maybe just cuz I've been a fan of Jack's since Steel Train and he's always done jittery beats well, even when it was more guitar than electronics. The synths are driving and anthemic and fit the song perfectly.

I liked this song right away compared to SIO, which took me a long while to warm up to and even still I like this way better than that.

Twitter has yielded some fruit.

Alleged tracklisting:

Welcome to New York

Blank Spaces

Style.

Out of the Woods

All You Had to Do Was Stay

Shake It Off

I Wish You Would

Bad Blood

How Do You Get The Girl

Wildest Dreams

This Love

I Know Places

Clean

Wonderland

You Are In Love

The New Romantics

Also, a tweet from her suggests something will be made available worldwide on iTunes Monday at midnight. She used the #1989...

Every big artist has been streaming their album a week in advance, to help prevent downloads of leaks among other reasons, over the last year or two.  Weezer, Jason Aldean and TI are recent ones on iTunes, and Prince put his 2 new albums up for streaming a week early on Spotify.  It's the new standard.

Uh...OK...that snippet of the new song makes me shudder. It's cringe-worthy. That's some Katy Perry level shit that I'd never thought T-Swizzle would reach. 

Maybe the whole song will make more sense to me once I hear it. But just on those 30 seconds...EW!

anigif_enhanced-4279-1408026617-1.gif

Can't find the full song. I gave you guys SIO and OOTW. Somebody throw me a bone? And yeah, that snippet is really disappointing. If every song on this album just has repeating choruses it's gonna be lazy af.

http://www.stereogum.com/1712817/taylor-swift-welcome-to-new-york/mp3s/