Bands That Bash Fans Thread

This is why I don't like to know a lot about a band. When I found out about this, it just turned me off from their music in general. Just make your music and shut up.

As cool or uncool as you think "not caring" may be, can we all agree that it's rather petty to bad-mouth another band through snide Twitter comments, behind their back? I enjoy Whirr and I enjoy DIIV. But Whirr need to grow the fuck up and avoid social media if their jimmies are so easily rustled. This isn't me being "too serious". Or a pussy. Or a serious pussy. I'm just calling it like it is. There's a distinct line between being indifferent to criticism (and trolling those who attack you) and succumbing to childish, embarrassing behavior.

this. seriously. the whole thing is kind of funny to me, but more so in a "hah, are their jimmies seriously this rustled over some petty shit?" way

1376766874188.jpg

Is it me or only Whirr has been mentioned in this thread?

nope, youre not the only one.

whats that dumb band who tells people not to stage dive and tall people to stand in the back?  to me, thats talking shit to fans.  dont tell people what to do or how to enjoy your music.  

Is it abnormal to dislike crowdsufers/stagedivers? I know its a bit off topic but I always grimace whenever I take a glance behind to see a tumbling 150 pound guy rolling in the air on top of frustrated hands pushing him towards my location and the stage. Then they just "dive" right back in and "surf" backwards. It's a bit difficult to focus and enjoy the performance whenever you're defending your nose from stray knees lol.

Similar to how any time I've attended a larger concert and a teenage girl passes out/overheats and for three mintes everything revolves around getting them out (which is obviously necessary) I'm just reminded of whenever I attended the Yeezus tour and all of I'm In It became a security guard wall attempting to pull out one teenage girl and the majority of the song was missed by everyone on the right side of the crowd.

What the fuck is a whirr?

edit: just listed to them, they are fucking terrible. I'm surprised they have any fans and I don't think they are making more by being misogynistic and shitty.

I can never understand why people that like exactly one type of music just go ahead and call other types terrible even though it obviously isn't the type of music they'd listen to.

Is it abnormal to dislike crowdsufers/stagedivers? I know its a bit off topic but I always grimace whenever I take a glance behind to see a tumbling 150 pound guy rolling in the air on top of frustrated hands pushing him towards my location and the stage. Then they just "dive" right back in and "surf" backwards. It's a bit difficult to focus and enjoy the performance whenever you're defending your nose from stray knees lol.

Similar to how any time I've attended a larger concert and a teenage girl passes out/overheats and for three mintes everything revolves around getting them out (which is obviously necessary) I'm just reminded of whenever I attended the Yeezus tour and all of I'm In It became a security guard wall attempting to pull out one teenage girl and the majority of the song was missed by everyone on the right side of the crowd.

I don't mind any of that and go out of my way to help people and keep them safe, but the moment I see someone skirting the 190-200lb line trying to stage dive I move out of the way and let them hurt themselves instead of others.

I don't mind stage diving at all, but you have to do it right.  

#1.  Don't be the idiot that awkwardly stands on stage getting in the way of the band when you try to find somewhere to jump.  Make it quick.

#2.  Don't be the idiot that thinks the band will appreciate you grabbing the mic or getting in their face or any of that shit.  At your friends basement show, go for it, but in most situations, nope.

#3.  Have some respect for the people sacrificing their heads and hands (fingers) catching you.  Don't go feet first, and don't be the fucking hXc idiot who thinks sprinting across the heads of the people in the crowd to see how far you can make it is cool.

#4.  If you're overweight, use your fucking brain.

The clown in the dunking machine (3 softball throws for $1) at the county fair when I was growing up - he was a pschological genius. After I rode all the rides, I would hang out and just listen to him for hours.

This was a Marine Corps town in the Viet Nam era, so there were thousands of 19-21 year old Marines there. "Bobo" would start out sort of Don Rickles, and explore different avenues of insults, until he would hit paydirt. Then, he would have a line wrapped around the tent and raking in the dough until 2AM!!

Even when getting dunked, he would have other challenges doing like - you didn't get my cigarette wet - still smoking! Aa! He would get hit and go under, but that cig tip was still out of the water!

WWF 'wrestling' comes to mind, too.  $hit talking is integral to the biz.

Back to Whirr, Distressor is a shoegaze classic, Pipedreams has some good tracks, and some of their splits are really, really good. They seem to be slipping or losing their mojo.  Mo-mo is definitely down.  Need to get a stable femme vox who can write music - or at least one that can take all this type of 'marketing' they are doing - imho.

It doesn't entertain me at all, but as Juan pointed out in another thread, the disconnect that I was seeing between their behavior and the type of music they are writing is not surprising knowing their punk roots.

I'm in it for the music - this other side show is nothing new under the sun

How could I have forgotten Maynard ?  Despite the 'I really don't hate you' and flipping off everyone at Tool concerts, the man is definitely messed up, blame it on childhood, whatever. Voice of an angel, though.  

Danny Carey, however, just seems to get big belly laugh at all the yankin' the fans around like the 'lacrimology' stuff and perpetual April Fools.  Fun to watch Danny in the interviews, too.

^^ Nailed it on the proverbial head! Both with WHIRR (Thanks for the shoutout there) bur mostly w/ TOOL. 

TOOL have elevated their hatred and nose-thumbing of their fans to an artform. I remember a few years back when TOOL (or maybe it was Puscifer) a friend of mine saw them in Atlanta and asked Maynard after a happenstance running into him after the show, why they rarely and seemingly hated to tour in Florida. Now mind you, my friend, she's from and lives in Florida and happened to be up in GA for the show due to work. Maynard apparently and w/o missing a beat told her that "Florida is cesspool of death and we hate all people there." This was a direct quote. 

So yeah. If there's a band that is vocal about hating their fans and whatnot, TOOL is up there.