Blood Brothers Reunion

Caught em on tour for crimes and thought it was a bummer of a set, it was short and almost all off of Crimes, one or two songs from Burn Piano Island Burn and nothing from March On Electric Children or This Adultery Is Ripe, bummed me out hard...already wasn't a huge fan of the Crime album and that set sealed the deal........but Big Business opened that tour (first time ever seeing a member of Murder City Devils live) and their set ripped hard as fuck

They got booed when I saw them open for Coheed so after their last song they played feedback for 20 minutes. Occasionally one of them would walk out and hit the drums or something, flip off the crowd, and leave again.

10/10 set

where was this?  i saw this tour in philly, and had a similar experience.  it was awesome.

Caught em on tour for crimes and thought it was a bummer of a set, it was short and almost all off of Crimes, one or two songs from Burn Piano Island Burn and nothing from March On Electric Children or This Adultery Is Ripe, bummed me out hard...already wasn't a huge fan of the Crime album and that set sealed the deal........but Big Business opened that tour (first time ever seeing a member of Murder City Devils live) and their set ripped hard as fuck

I remember reading that they had a hard time playing songs off of Piano Island because it just took so much out of them that they would be exhausted a few songs in.

When my old band met with Ross Robinson many moons ago, we asked him about recording BPIB. The Blood Brother's drummer could not play to a click, so they had to record the guitars first then the drums, bass, etc. I always thought was really cool and helped make that album more chaotic. I fell off listening to them after Crimes for no particular reason.

There's some good stuff in there. Slint...MCD...Built To Spill...seems like a smaller fest this year

Holy jesus fuck!!! Slint and BtS together...

BPIB is the last enjoyable thing they released in my book. 

Still, I'd love to see them play again. I think the last time I saw them was about ten years ago and it was a good times despite a Crimes heavy setlist. 

The mad rush/push towards the stage during Love Rhymes (and the massive back off as soon as the song was over) was laughable.

...So you're saying This Adultery and March On > everything else?

I am indeed saying this....I don't need a spazzy hardcore band to suddenly start playing soft tunes and attempting to serenade me. I'm all about dynamics in bands and how those play off of each other....this is a band that I don't need that from.

"Raise The Fucking Flag, The Flag of Mutiny!"

• 3 weeks later...

When my old band met with Ross Robinson many moons ago, we asked him about recording BPIB. The Blood Brother's drummer could not play to a click, so they had to record the guitars first then the drums, bass, etc. I always thought was really cool and helped make that album more chaotic. I fell off listening to them after Crimes for no particular reason.

That's really odd because Ross Robinson claims he never, ever uses click tracks because it kills the performance.

He even posted on facebook recently something along the lines of: "I wonder how many musical personalities have been lost due to the use of click tracks."

I think he's also not a fan of excessive editing/protooling

Another reason its a really weird statement is Mark is a fantastic drummer and during the interim when BB were broken up he mostly worked on hip-hop which is heavily grid/click-based.

*edit*: located the exact post he made: (he posted it to twitter too, so if you can't view his fb profile, you could probably see it there.)

I wonder how many musical personalities have been lost because of jack ass engineers/producers gridding out drums-

Yeah, I graduated from a college recording program, (MIA at Fanshawe) I know aboot that stuff, it's pretty much my expertise since the music I make mostly revolves around timing-based stuff like polymeter/metric modulation/tempo modulation. They're not identical, but they are intrinsically linked: Basically, if you're going to have to do a lot of editing/punching in (band sucks), you want everything gridded out to make that editing process easier. (Comping: short for composite, when you build a take out of snippits of numerous bite-size takes/punch-ins) And it's easiest to get stuff on a grid by playing to a click. Having to slide stuff around that isn't played to a click, or to find the tempo after the fact is a total pain in the ass and completely kills the performance. The best approach is always to record bands who can play on time together w/o requiring any editing.

There are occasions where you might want just a click and not have everything quantized perfectly on the beat, like for specific tempo modulation, for example. Or just to build a track with overdubs, like in a 1-man studio band type of situation.

But I still find it weird that a drummer would be the only guy in a band not able to play to a click, usually either no one can, just the drummer can, or everyone can. Well, maybe not the singer ;) hahahahahahahaha.

And the remark about gridding is just 1 example, he posts stuff like that all the time and I have heard numerous times (from things he posts, and word-of-mouth from other people who are deep into the recording process.) that he doesn't even use click tracks at all, ever. Just records the drummer playing w/ the band and then over-dubs the bands parts over top. Doesn't seem plausible, recording guitars first is super ass-backwards. Super rare for that to ever occur, unless it's a home-brew by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. Ross is known for not using clicks, which is actually pretty unorthodox/against the grain in this day and age, since now everyone just ProTools everything to death. He's known for not using a click, unlike the vast majority of producers, that's pretty much the main thing about his approach and a big part of how he gets the performances he does, why his records are so good and that's a big part of why people want to work with him.

Just to prove my point that I'm not blowing hot air:

This came from the Glassjaw wikipedia, underneath the section on Worship & Tribute:
(and anyone will tell you that drums are nearly always the 1st thing to be tracked. possible exception being scratch tracks that are later replaced, but still, rule of thumb is drums are 1st, then you build upon that)

Ross Robinson does not use a 'click track' (automated metronome) when recording drummers, as he believes "it takes away from the true essence of the music".