E3 2014 Discussion

So no price drop on the WiiU at all? The only thing stopping me from buying one is that price tag.

the way they've got it bundled now, it's not a bad price. $299-$329 + at least one game included and a wiimote w/ the MK bundle. plus that MK promo gets you a free game download worth another $40-50.

the kicker for me was having to buy 2 pro controllers. they're pretty awesome though--the battery life is amazing.

here's what I did:

super mario bros wii u bundle (included super luigi bros)

2 pro controllers (I already have wii remotes)

DK tropical freeze, mario kart, super mario 3D world

downloaded wind waker for free

= under $600

bought downloads for wii party u and pikmin 3 from people who didn't need the freebies from the MK promo. so that was only $40 for 2 more games.

and then got zombiU and nintendoland on clearance at toys r us for under $30.

so I've got a fully loaded console + controllers + 9 games for right at about $650.

totally worth it when I haven't been able to go a day without my wife (a non-gamer) asking me if we can play MK or mario 3D world. it's a blast. i'm about ready to say that wiiu > both the PS4 and XB1.

This year E3 actually has me pretty excited

Farcy 4 looks rad as expected

Rainbow 6 Siege looks great, about damn time

Star Wars Battlefront is holy shit

and Inside looks awesome. Limbo is the best indie game I've every played, hands down. Only good things can come from Inside

Also new Halo looks sick

All reasons to buy a next gen console, but I'm not sold on either one yet. Any opinions?

and Inside looks awesome. Limbo is the best indie game I've every played, hands down. Only good things can come from Inside

Also new Halo looks sick

All reasons to buy a next gen console, but I'm not sold on either one yet. Any opinions?

Honestly the consoles are pretty equal. It comes down to personal preference on the console exclusives. That's what made me continue to choose Sony

Also new Halo looks sick

BLOODBORNEEEEEEEEEE

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo tonight. Do most games just use the gamepad as a controller or do they use the remote/nunchuk? I've got a set of four Wii remotes, but only one Motion Plus attachment and two nunchucks. I'm wondering if I should throw in the refurbished remote/nunchuck combo (w/ Motion Plus built in) they have for $20.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo tonight. Do most games just use the gamepad as a controller or do they use the remote/nunchuk? I've got a set of four Wii remotes, but only one Motion Plus attachment and two nunchucks. I'm wondering if I should throw in the refurbished remote/nunchuck combo (w/ Motion Plus built in) they have for $20.

There isn't a single game that doesn't let you use the gamepad. You only need wiimotes w/ nunchucks for multiplayer, but you can basically use any controller with multiplayer. I'd go for the pro controller if they have any refurbished ones for cheap.

There isn't a single game that doesn't let you use the gamepad. You only need wiimotes w/ nunchucks for multiplayer, but you can basically use any controller with multiplayer. I'd go for the pro controller if they have any refurbished ones for cheap.

Good to hear. I was never a fan of the remote/nunchuck combo. They don't have pro controllers on Nintendo's site, but it looks like I can get one for about $20 on Ebay.

Sony has more horsepower, so you'll get slightly better looking games and although they both over free games if you sign-up for their subscription service, Sony tends to have the better offers. Both systems require a fee for online play, 

Microsoft, at least last generation, had a fairly sizable lead with their network and online functionality and had a lot more options for non-gaming third-party content. There could be some theoretical benefits in single-player or online play from their cloud-streaming service but developers haven't really taken advantage of that yet. 

So, like other people said, take a look at what Console exclusives appeal to you. Most large games are multi-platform now so their isn't as many as their was but their are still some that people think are dealbreakers. Shelby seems to love Bloodborne for some reason, while other people really want that Halo. Their both priced at $399 now (without the Kinect for Xbox) so that isn't much of an issue. 

Another thing to consider is what do most of your friends have. The reason I spent 80% of my time on the Xbox last generation was most people I gamed with had that!