PO: Ty Segall-Manipulator 2xlp

So if you order directly from the label, pre order even, you're not guaranteed a copy on color. But if you happen to walk into a random store you might get one, but you don't know until you open it. And if you do find one and you already ordered from the label, you gotta double dip.

I'm not understanding their logic here. They almost never put out a release on color. Okay, so they threw the collectors a bone, that's cool. But why is it so random? It seems like they should do a first press on color and have it available on the site, and no stupid numbers like 100 on color. Do the whole first run on color. All represses on black. Or 1000 on color, mailorder only. Stores get black. I preordered, and if I get a black one, I have to track down a colored one. And this release isn't cheap, $25 on their site means $30 in a store. Or a tour only variant would be fine too, except that he's not coming anywhere near me.

This is just lame.

Same here. I'd pay someone back for getting me a copy. I'm assuming the one from Drag City will be on black. Then again, maybe the black is the rare one... The red looks really nice though. Looks like an old 50's record with the label, when they used to categorize singles by vinyl color. Red was rock, I think.

So if you order directly from the label, pre order even, you're not guaranteed a copy on color. But if you happen to walk into a random store you might get one, but you don't know until you open it. And if you do find one and you already ordered from the label, you gotta double dip.

I'm not understanding their logic here. They almost never put out a release on color. Okay, so they threw the collectors a bone, that's cool. But why is it so random? It seems like they should do a first press on color and have it available on the site, and no stupid numbers like 100 on color. Do the whole first run on color. All represses on black. Or 1000 on color, mailorder only. Stores get black. I preordered, and if I get a black one, I have to track down a colored one. And this release isn't cheap, $25 on their site means $30 in a store. Or a tour only variant would be fine too, except that he's not coming anywhere near me.

This is just lame.

Mexican Summer record label once told me once in a while a pressing plant will be like, "hey weve got x amount extra color to burn through, would you like to add that to your initial order for no charge? However when we distribute they'll be random."

Who knows though.

Stop buying it for the color.

This! Christ! Sorry to be a dick but get over it. If you're obsessed with getting something more limited for the sake of it being limited, then rethink why you buy vinyl. I'm sorry but you're making it seem like the label is causing you some great affliction or presenting you with some sort of obstacle to pull more money from your pockets simply by not making the color variant readily and easily available. You've got to accept that some labels are going to do other variants randomly and that's the way it is otherwise you're going to stress yourself out about something that you should be enjoying.

I'm buying it because it's a good album. I'm after the color because I'm a collector. I could just as easily get the mp3's. I mean, why even buy the vinyl at all?

It's also funny to look at the trade lists of people who say that, and they're littered with "translucent green", "tour press /100", "signed by all band members", etc.