Makes me not want to stream...

Considering we are all posting on a site which is focused on actually paying $$$ for music, I think we are doing better than most.

If Spotify, and even to an extent illegal downloading, wasn't around then I wouldn't be in to half of the bands I'm in to. I wouldn't go to their gigs, buy their merch and hunt for them on vinyl.

If i bought all the new music that I try out on a daily basis, then I wouldn't be able to put a roof over my head.

I stream albums to decide whether or not to buy them. If I keep streaming an album (meaning: I like it), I'll buy it if it's available and/or not expensive. 

But a lot of people (probably the majority) listen to music on their phone or laptop, so sound quality is unimportant and a physical copy unnecessary. Obviously everyone on this forum supports artists and buys albums, so this old "rockstar's" complaints are kind of irrelevant here. I see his point, but... I don't know what alternative is? I don't see streaming going away. And if it does, people will just go back to pirating albums online and artists won't get any money. 

I think vinyl might actually be the only way to really avoid streaming and piracy. Though obviously piracy will still exist even with vinyl, and in today's world, I doubt many people will buy an album on vinyl that they cannot stream beforehand. So... rather than complaining that the music industry isn't the same as it used to be, I think artists are going to have to adapt, for better or worse. 

yeah those services pay artists next to nothing.  artist-uploaded free streaming services like bandcamp and soundcloud ftw.  stream and then buy if it's worth it to you.

I think the bumout with the services mentioned in OP's link is that someone who doesn't deserve it is profiting bigtime off their work, while paying out a pittance.  seems pretty insulting.

I use Spotify at work and in the car and buy LPs for the house. It is pretty rare that I stream something I don't own or don't plan on buying but it does happen. If there was an artist friendly way that was as convenient and cheap I would consider it. 

That said, once that Kickstarter for the vinyl revival hits its funding we won't have to worry about this kind of stuff anymore. 

I think vinyl might actually be the only way to really avoid streaming and piracy. Though obviously piracy will still exist even with vinyl, and in today's world, I doubt many people will buy an album on vinyl that they cannot stream beforehand. So... rather than complaining that the music industry isn't the same as it used to be, I think artists are going to have to adapt, for better or worse. 

music-piracy-piracy-computers-records-mp

You notice it is always older bands that complain about streaming services? You never hear people still selling albums complain about it.  Perhaps people stop buying your albums because the songs you write now suck and not because of piracy and streaming.

I think it would be interesting to see how much album sales are hurt if they got rid of streaming and piracy and you tube completely for a few years.

You notice it is always older bands that complain about streaming services? You never hear people still selling albums complain about it.

....what? No, not at all.

Considering we are all posting on a site which is focused on actually paying $$$ for music, I think we are doing better than most.

If Spotify, and even to an extent illegal downloading, wasn't around then I wouldn't be in to half of the bands I'm in to. I wouldn't go to their gigs, buy their merch and hunt for them on vinyl.

If i bought all the new music that I try out on a daily basis, then I wouldn't be able to put a roof over my head.

This. If it weren't for various 'free' outlets, I would not have purchased a bulk of the records that I do own.

I read a while back that Google was going to remove any label supported artists from YouTube unless they opted to put their music into the Google Play Library. Not sure what ever came of that.

This would suck.

Spotify is pretty crappy as far as paying artists but I'm in the same boat as most of you. I stream albums I'm interested in to decide if it's worthy enough for me to buy the album on vinyl. I don't want a bunch of crappy albums on wax that I ended up not liking. Do artists HAVE to put their music on Spotify and such? I think I remember Circa Survive posting something about this and how crappy it was. If that's the case, they own their own music now. At least that's the impression I've been under since they released Violent Waves. If you own your music, which more artists are doing now, then why even put it on Spotify and the like?

Perhaps people stop buying your albums because the songs you write now suck and not because of piracy and streaming.

My stance is similar. I'm tired of every single band feeling entitled to making a living off their music. If it were that easy, everyone would be a musician.

Welcome to the real world, everything is a business and if you can't separate yourself from the bullshit and gain an insane fan base that will gladly spend money on your music, you aren't going to be able to support yourself with it. Get a real job and play music on the side like the rest of us. 

My stance is similar. I'm tired of every single band feeling entitled to making a living off their music. If it were that easy, everyone would be a musician.

Welcome to the real world, everything is a business and if you can't separate yourself from the bullshit and gain an insane fan base that will gladly spend money on your music, you aren't going to be able to support yourself with it. Get a real job and play music on the side like the rest of us. 

I used to be a huge Get Up Kids/ Matt Pryor fan, I loved the New Amsterdams, the first 3 GUK records, Tijuana Crime Scene, and even took Reggie with a grain of salt as them just having fun. Fast forward a few years and they reunite, put out some mediocre/bad albums, the solo stuff is terrible and he then goes onto his podcast and complains about how the record industry is changing and no one is making money anymore like they used to and all I could think of is that if you stopped making bad music then perhaps you would make money again.

Yes I understand that it is their art and that they can choose how to make it, but you cant then bitch about how you dont make money anymore because your old fans dont trust your new album to be good because the last 8 years of albums have sucked.

Oh no, people who get to do something they love and get paid for it are getting paid less than they think they deserve from a service they opted into in the first place! Woe be unto those who would stream their music.

That's a solid point. If the artists 'OK' it, I guess they can't complain.

I think it was Trent Reznor who said something about how you don't make any money off of music anymore.  Now the music is a way to get people to the show and sell some merch, that's where the money is.  In the old days it used to be the opposite, you'd tour to promote the record.  Now you put out a record to promote the tour.

It sucks that bands don't really make money off their music and streaming obviously isn't paying the bills, but the industry has changed and acts need to come to terms with that.