Ferguson, and other issues

I live in North Charleston. I'm legit fucking scared if he gets off. Like calling out of work and goes upstate for a few days scared.

I would be, too. Stay safe.

There will probably be an all-white jury and testimonies from his (former) fellow officers as character witnesses. The cell phone video will likely not be admitted as evidence. If it is, the integrity of the cameraman will be called into question because he fled the scene in fear of his life.

Best-case scenario, I think he'll be charged with voluntary manslaughter. I think an acquittal is much more likely.

With the video that was just released, it is sad to say, but the guy definitely played a role in his own death. I mean why would you ever think it's a good idea to get out of your car and take off on foot? The cop was just writing the dude a ticket. That said, the cop obviously still had no legitimate reason to do what he did.

With the video that was just released, it is sad to say, but the guy definitely played a role in his own death. I mean why would you ever think it's a good idea to get out of your car and take off on foot? The cop was just writing the dude a ticket. That said, the cop obviously still had no legitimate reason to do what he did.

Fact: Running steadily away, clearly not threatening a police officer does not give that cop the right to shoot you 5 times in the back. (dude actually fired 8 shots and only hit 5.)

Fact: The cop could have given chase again and tackled the dude, cuffed him, done. He was an out of shape 50 year old man. who was kind of slowly loping away.

Not a single person in the history of the world would actually expect to be shot in the back running away from the cops after not showing any sort of threatening action toward the cop. People run from the cops all the time and don't get shot because those officers aren't idiots.

Fact: Running steadily away, clearly not threatening a police officer does not give that cop the right to shoot you 5 times in the back. (dude actually fired 8 shots and only hit 5.)

Fact: The cop could have given chase again and tackled the dude, cuffed him, done. He was an out of shape 50 year old man. who was kind of slowly loping away.

Not a single person in the history of the world would actually expect to be shot in the back running away from the cops after not showing any sort of threatening action toward the cop. People run from the cops all the time and don't get shot because those officers aren't idiots.

Not sure why this was aimed at me considering I never made an argument against anything you said. I actually completely agree with you and stated nearly the same thing about how he was running in my initial post about it. However, after watching the cops dash cam video from when the guy was initially pulled over it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge that this man made a lot of poor decisions that helped to facilitate the cops decision to murder the guy (at least in his own fucked up mind). Not that I'm justifying anything that was done at all, my initial disgust from watching the phone recorded video is 100% still there.  I still think the most fucked up thing about it is that he had a taster, and instead of deciding to use that, he just laid it next to the guy after he fired on him nearly 10 times.

Looks like Christopher Dorner is back from the grave and changed his mind about cops...

JSkgIfS.png

In all seriousness this is disgusting, also there's not a damn person supporting this that isn't racist. The least this shitshow crowdfunding site could have done is force everyone to use their real name and photo if they wanted to support this. Then again they probably don't give a damn, and are excited this is somewhat 'viral' and hoping it exceedings the goal so they can pocket them hate bucks.

Just read through some of the comments and damn this one just frustrates me - 

Peterside Onwuta
19 hours ago

its unfortunate for both as they are both victims. i know its going to be tooo hard for the dead and even harder for slager. i hope both families will find a way to heal their wounds.

Not sure why this was aimed at me considering I never made an argument against anything you said. I actually completely agree with you and stated nearly the same thing about how he was running in my initial post about it. However, after watching the cops dash cam video from when the guy was initially pulled over it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge that this man made a lot of poor decisions that helped to facilitate the cops decision to murder the guy (at least in his own fucked up mind). Not that I'm justifying anything that was done at all, my initial disgust from watching the phone recorded video is 100% still there. I still think the most fucked up thing about it is that he had a taster, and instead of deciding to use that, he just laid it next to the guy after he fired on him nearly 10 times.

It was more directed at you saying he played a role in his own death. Is it a good idea to run from cops? Nope. But you should be able to reasonably expect that if you are running that they won't shoot you in the back.

Also, dude was running because there was a warrant out for his arrest due to back child support payments. He didn't want to go to jail when the cop saw that pulling up his license.

He pointed you at because of victim blaming

Not sure why this was aimed at me considering I never made an argument against anything you said. I actually completely agree with you and stated nearly the same thing about how he was running in my initial post about it. However, after watching the cops dash cam video from when the guy was initially pulled over it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge that this man made a lot of poor decisions that helped to facilitate the cops decision to murder the guy (at least in his own fucked up mind). Not that I'm justifying anything that was done at all, my initial disgust from watching the phone recorded video is 100% still there.  I still think the most fucked up thing about it is that he had a taster, and instead of deciding to use that, he just laid it next to the guy after he fired on him nearly 10 times.

I may be mistaken, but I thought after the guy ran the first time, the cop chased him down and used (or attempted to use) his taser during the "tussle" or whatever.  the guy ran away (for the second time) to get away from the taser, and that's when the cop shot him.  I think you can see the cord from the taser in the cell phone video; apparently the taser didn't do it's job...

from what I understand, the cop didn't really do anything wrong until he started firing shots (e.g., he didn't make racist remarks or even raise his voice while he was talking to the guy in the car, he didn't shoot him prior to chasing him down the first time, etc.).  up until that point, the guy who got shot made a seemingly endless number of stupid decisions (e.g., the broken taillight, not having insurance/registration for the vehicle, having 3 years of unpaid child support totaling over $18k (resulting in a bench warrant for his arrest), fleeing the vehicle (presumably due to the arrest warrant), resisting arrest / "tussle"ing with a cop, fleeing a second time, etc.), all of which led to him getting shot.

in response to randy savage, I am most certainly saying that he played a role in his own death.  did he expect or deserve to die?  no.  but did his actions lead to his death?  of course they did.  if he doesn't run away from the car, he's sitting in a jail cell alive right now.  if he doesn't "tussle" with the cop in the grass, he's sitting in a jail cell right now.  unfortunately, he did do those things, and now he's dead.  it's not 100% on him, but you can't honestly think that this is 100% on the cop, either, can you?

He pointed you at because of victim blaming

I was simply acknowledging that the guy made bad decisions that allowed the cop to make even worse decisions. I don't think that he would have been killed if he never left his car to begin with. Does that make it okay? Fuck no. This dude murdered a guy and tried to cover it up with a bullshit story about self defense. The chances that there was a guy passing by that recorded it is insane, thankfully he was there, and I hope this dude gets the worst sentence possible.

Just read through some of the comments and damn this one just frustrates me - 

Peterside Onwuta
19 hours ago

its unfortunate for both as they are both victims. i know its going to be tooo hard for the dead and even harder for slager. i hope both families will find a way to heal their wounds.

This is really fucking stupid. I can understand having some sympathy for the guys family, finding out that your husband murdered someone and will either spend life in prison or worse, but to call Slager a victim is willfully ignorant.

I may be mistaken, but I thought after the guy ran the first time, the cop chased him down and used (or attempted to use) his taser during the "tussle" or whatever. the guy ran away (for the second time) to get away from the taser, and that's when the cop shot him. I think you can see the cord from the taser in the cell phone video; apparently the taser didn't do it's job...

from what I understand, the cop didn't really do anything wrong until he started firing shots (e.g., he didn't make racist remarks or even raise his voice while he was talking to the guy in the car, he didn't shoot him prior to chasing him down the first time, etc.). up until that point, the guy who got shot made a seemingly endless number of stupid decisions (e.g., the broken taillight, not having insurance/registration for the vehicle, having 3 years of unpaid child support totaling over $18k (resulting in a bench warrant for his arrest), fleeing the vehicle (presumably due to the arrest warrant), resisting arrest / "tussle"ing with a cop, fleeing a second time, etc.), all of which led to him getting shot.

in response to randy savage, I am most certainly saying that he played a role in his own death. did he expect or deserve to die? no. but did his actions lead to his death? of course they did. if he doesn't run away from the car, he's sitting in a jail cell alive right now. if he doesn't "tussle" with the cop in the grass, he's sitting in a jail cell right now. unfortunately, he did do those things, and now he's dead. it's not 100% on him, but you can't honestly think that this is 100% on the cop, either, can you?

And what I'm saying is...nothing he did should have resulted in his death. I don't believe the officer that they "tussled" either, considering that he already lied about the guy taking his taser and tried to plant it near his body.

I don't understand people saying he contributed to his own death, or it was partially his fault.

There is no circumstance in which this persons actions should ever result in his death, so why would he expect it to.

This is one person's fault and that person made a terrible and deadly mistake. It doesn't help to blame a dead person for taking actions that normally would not result in this outcome, because you're allowing for something like this to happen again.

It's like if the guy suddenly found his insurance card, got out of the car and walked toward the officer and got shot and killed. Would you still be saying the same thing?

Is argue that in that situation it would actually be more what you're saying, because he would be approaching the officer.

It still wouldn't justify it, and I still wouldn't blame the victim at that point.

By trying to plant a weapon on the deceased, this cop took full blame in my opinion. He knew he messed up, and he tried to make it seem like the situation was different than it actually was. He has no credibility in my eyes.

And what I'm saying is...nothing he did should have resulted in his death. I don't believe the officer that they "tussled" either, considering that he already lied about the guy taking his taser and tried to plant it near his body.

I don't understand people saying he contributed to his own death, or it was partially his fault.

There is no circumstance in which this persons actions should ever result in his death, so why would he expect it to.

This is one person's fault and that person made a terrible and deadly mistake. It doesn't help to blame a dead person for taking actions that normally would not result in this outcome, because you're allowing for something like this to happen again.

It's like if the guy suddenly found his insurance card, got out of the car and walked toward the officer and got shot and killed. Would you still be saying the same thing?

Is argue that in that situation it would actually be more what you're saying, because he would be approaching the officer.

It still wouldn't justify it, and I still wouldn't blame the victim at that point.

By trying to plant a weapon on the deceased, this cop took full blame in my opinion. He knew he messed up, and he tried to make it seem like the situation was different than it actually was. He has no credibility in my eyes.

The whole problem is they shouldn't, but they did. I don't consider it his fault per se, but he had a part in his death that could have been prevented if the cop wasn't a fucking lazy psycho. There's no denying he would be alive if he wouldn't have run and he'd be even more alive if he wasn't a dead beat dad it seems. I don't believe they ever tussled either, the cop planting the taser should be enough to consider it a malicious attack and get him a life sentence imo.

I don't think that anyone is arguing against the fact that the cop is 100% at fault and deserves to be punished for the crime he committed, but acknowledging that the man made terrible decisions that prompted a (completely unnecessary) reaction is just stating the obvious. And as far as the actions he took, I don't believe running from a cop does anything but heighten your risk of being harmed, so I would argue that the actions he decided to take did place him in harms way, whether that lead to be tackled to the ground, tasered, or like this fucking psycho did and shot the guy (not validating it). No one is allowing something like this to happen in the future by stating these observations, if anything it is a bigger reason to not run from a cop because it displays how terribly wrong that can go (again not supporting it, it just shows that some assholes take advantage of times when they think they're not being watched). This case may also help to restrict the powers of law enforcement in some capacity (I hope). Also, I don't think that your comparison is a fair one to make at all, the individual in your scenario is acting within the law, while the individual in Charleston was actively breaking the law by running from a cop (again, this still does not validate anything that happened).

I can see why you guys are saying if he didn't run he wouldn't have gotten shot. I mean, I get where you're coming from and it seems like we're pretty much on the same page.

At first it just seemed like a bit of victim blaming.

I just can't draw that line that you guys are between if he hadn't run, he wouldn't have been shot, and because he ran he was shot.

There is no scenario in which a person running away should be shot by the police.

The comparison I made of him (or anyone) getting out of the car and approaching the officer and getting shot is because that shit almost happened to me.

I got pulled over for "making an aggressive left turn" I showed the cop my license, as well as my concealed carry permit (because it shows up if they run your license and didn't want him freaked out that I hadn't told him and I could possibly be armed). I let him know I was not carrying at that time, and was in fact on my way to work, where I am not allowed to carry.

He asked me to get out of the car and get the ticket from him, he was a motorcycle cop and was printing it on the back of his bike. I got out and not thinking reached to put my wallet in my pocket, at which point he reached toward his gun and told me to show him my hands.

Now. I was not shot obviously, and we laughed it off after I said, "Oh shit, yeah, sorry dude. I was just putting my wallet away. I wasn't thinking. I know where you're coming from though. That could be a bad situation."

So yeah. While I was obeying the law and complying with that officer, it could have ended very badly. Bad shit can happen whether you comply or not...and as much as it shouldn't be different based on race or status, I certainly think that if I hadn't been a nicely dressed, adult, white male, things would have gone differently.

So maybe you can see why he would run, especially after the cop gave him so much shit about the insurance and registration, acting like the dude stole the car.

Again, I get where you guys are coming from, and to some degree I kind of agree. I just can't put any of that on the dead guy, because as far as I'm concerned, as long as he never posed a threat to anyone, the cop even drawing his gun was wrong, let alone unloading into the dude's back. Y'know? And if you go back in this thread, I really do give benefit of the doubt to police most of the time. I'm not an ACAB sort of dude.

I can see why you guys are saying if he didn't run he wouldn't have gotten shot. I mean, I get where you're coming from and it seems like we're pretty much on the same page.

At first it just seemed like a bit of victim blaming.

I just can't draw that line that you guys are between if he hadn't run, he wouldn't have been shot, and because he ran he was shot.

There is no scenario in which a person running away should be shot by the police.

The comparison I made of him (or anyone) getting out of the car and approaching the officer and getting shot is because that shit almost happened to me.

I got pulled over for "making an aggressive left turn" I showed the cop my license, as well as my concealed carry permit (because it shows up if they run your license and didn't want him freaked out that I hadn't told him and I could possibly be armed). I let him know I was not carrying at that time, and was in fact on my way to work, where I am not allowed to carry.

He asked me to get out of the car and get the ticket from him, he was a motorcycle cop and was printing it on the back of his bike. I got out and not thinking reached to put my wallet in my pocket, at which point he reached toward his gun and told me to show him my hands.

Now. I was not shot obviously, and we laughed it off after I said, "Oh shit, yeah, sorry dude. I was just putting my wallet away. I wasn't thinking. I know where you're coming from though. That could be a bad situation."

So yeah. While I was obeying the law and complying with that officer, it could have ended very badly. Bad shit can happen whether you comply or not...and as much as it shouldn't be different based on race or status, I certainly think that if I hadn't been a nicely dressed, adult, white male, things would have gone differently.

So maybe you can see why he would run, especially after the cop gave him so much shit about the insurance and registration, acting like the dude stole the car.

Again, I get where you guys are coming from, and to some degree I kind of agree. I just can't put any of that on the dead guy, because as far as I'm concerned, as long as he never posed a threat to anyone, the cop even drawing his gun was wrong, let alone unloading into the dude's back. Y'know? And if you go back in this thread, I really do give benefit of the doubt to police most of the time. I'm not an ACAB sort of dude.

Yeah man, I totally understand where you're coming from as well, we are definitely on the same page.

^^Damn Randy I just read your situation and I would've definitely froze up and probably shouted had I seen the cop go for his gun and him piercing me with a shout. 

Damn man. Some cops are actually good cops but the aggressive ones are definitely fucking everything up for the rest of em

^^Damn Randy I just read your situation and I would've definitely froze up and probably shouted had I seen the cop go for his gun and him piercing me with a shout. 

Damn man. Some cops are actually good cops but the aggressive ones are definitely fucking everything up for the rest of em

Yeah. It was for real scary for a minute. Dude was actually really nice though, he just got scared, and for good reason really. It was definitely my fault for not staying aware of the situation, and I applaud him for not actually taking aim at me.

I'm glad he wasn't one of those posturing arrogant assholes that get all the press lately.